PC Wifi problem.

Cuban8

Hopefully one of our PC and computing experts will know the answer to this one. I'm stuck.

Was using my laptop to upload some family photos and stuff to Google drive this afternoon and then view emails when I lost wifi to the machine. Other connected gear was unaffected just my laptop. 

Did the usual on/off etc and then ran the 'diagnose faults' thingy that came back with 'Wifi doesn't have a valid IP congiguration' . Windows 10.

Any ideas please? TIA.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Advert

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Hopefully one of our PC and computing experts will know the answer to this one. I'm stuck.

Was using my laptop to upload some family photos and stuff to Google drive this afternoon and then view emails when I lost wifi to the machine. Other connected gear was unaffected just my laptop. 

Did the usual on/off etc and then ran the 'diagnose faults' thingy that came back with 'Wifi doesn't have a valid IP congiguration' . Windows 10.

Any ideas please? TIA.

My laptop does that, the only cure I've found is rebooting the router. Works fine until the next time....

22 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Weird..........just been trying to solve the problem when my anti virus programme came up briefly and then went off...........Wifi now works again.

Don't you just love computers?

I'm pretty sure that no-one knows exactly what's in a PC/Laptop etc and no-one knows exactly how they work.  I'm sure there's firmware in use that the original listing is lost and is simply loaded and used.  I know there were instruments on RR test beds designed in the early days of microprocessors when we were learning how to use them where the s/w was simply loaded on ROMs when new ones were made.  The original listings (often originally uncommented so difficult to read and follow) probably long lost.

I stress the word 'exactly'.  I've got a pretty good idea of some of it but probably a lot less than 10% of the whole.

On 10/02/2023 at 03:09, Cuban8 said:

when my anti virus programme came up briefly and then went off.

Anti-virus programme? What's that? I certainly haven't had one of those for decades and of course can't get viruses on my computers no matter where in the world I am.

I wonder why.... maybe because I won't run Microsoft or Apple software. 😀

I have problems with WiFi to the television occasionally and can never connect my phone WiFi to my cars dashcam . Car is parked in front of room where television is . When connecting tele to WiFi numerous other WiFi signals appear all stronger than mine ? Router is only 15 ft away from set although there is a brick wall to penetrate. 

It appears that an abundance of WiFi powered items are used by neighbours in the cul-de-sac where I live ; Inc cctv cameras (loads) burglar alarms, door bells, printers etc etc. So my signals get flooded out ! I have bought a signal booster so tele works much better and doesn't drop out as often  . It reminds me of early days of 2.4 at the field or at shows . 

If we could see these rafio waves around us I think we would be amazed.

7 hours ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

Anti-virus programme? What's that? I certainly haven't had one of those for decades and of course can't get viruses on my computers no matter where in the world I am.

I wonder why.... maybe because I won't run Microsoft or Apple software. 😀

Except of course Arches, Binon, Bliss, Brundle, RELx, Rike, WIt Virus, ZipWorn, etc, etc....  🙂
Often the exploited vulnerability is the users complacency!

Edited by Phil Green

11 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Except of course ...., Brundle, Binon ...., etc, etc....  🙂
Often the exploited vulnerability is the users complacency!

Taking one of the given examples -

Martin John Brundle (born 1 June 1959) is a British former racing driver,

Yes, he was probably complacent ?????

Binon is a Terran planet in the Pan System.

Edited by Alex Ferguson 2

12 hours ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

Taking one of the given examples -

Martin John Brundle (born 1 June 1959) is a British former racing driver,

Yes, he was probably complacent ?????

Binon is a Terran planet in the Pan System.

Seth Brundle main character in 'The Fly'?