AURI DLG (Electric Version).

AURI Tyro

Good Afternoon.  A damaged carbon fibre constructed model glider, (as per the Title line), has recently come into my possession and though I've been 'into' model aircraft for many years, I've never come across one of this particular type, or construction.  I have encountered a problem during repairs to the model, that although the Receiver board lights up and appears to be ready to 'bind', I cannot seem to be able to achieve that happy state of affairs.  If any of the learned gentlemen (or ladies), reading this can assist, I'd really appreciate any and all advice.  Particularly in respect of a suitable Transmitter, (but methodology may be a factor also).

I thank you in anticipation.

Regards.

Derek.

If the receiver and aerials are inside the carbon fuselage, it may be the carbon blocking the signal. I know that with my carbon DLG I have to have the aerials outside for anything to work.

Does the receiver bind OK if outside the fuselage?

Dick

ps what receiver and transmitter do you have?

Edited by Dickw

Good Afternoon Dick.

I thank you for your rapid response.  However the Receiver antennas, (two off), are outwith the fuselage, as per the design and connected to the board internally.  A fellow Club member told me why this was so.  I had not originally realised the fuselage material was the reason.

Regards,

Derek.

Good Evening Dick/MattyB.  Apologies for the slow response gentlemen, I've been away from home.  To respond.  My Transmitter is a Spektrum DX7EU, (SMS).   No.  I do not know if the RX/TX are the same.  There's no identification visible on the Receiver board.  From consultations with other Club members, the general consensus, was as you mentioned MattyB, that there's a protocol mismatch, but because of that, therein lie the possible dilemma, as virtually all the members who've been kind enough to try to 'bind' to the board, have had various flavours of Spektrum Transmitters, except for one, chap, who owns, but doesn't now use, a 'FlSky'.  The latter failed to 'do the business' also.  Hence my plea for assistance 'out of area' as it were.  Possibly a 'Futaba' Transmitter, would 'bind', but I don't know anyone who has one, or indeed, whether it uses the same protocol as a Spektrum.  Maybe one of you may know if there is a difference twixt Spektrum and Futuba ?

I thank you both for your kind interest in my rather puzzling problem, it's much appreciated.

Regards.

Derek.

Just swap the receiver in there for one that matches your TX - it will be far quicker and simpler than trying to find a TX that does work. Even if you did work it out you’d presumably then have to buy a new TX which will definitely be more expensive!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AURI Tyro said:

if there is a difference twixt Spektrum and Futuba ?

We can say that Futaba and Spektrum are completely different and won't work togther.

We can also say that newer Spektrum Tx that are DSMX only   won't work with old Spektrum DSM2 Rx    ( although the other way round old DSM2 Tx WILL work with modern DSMX Rx )

You have not said how the plane was damaged -could it be a crash damaged the Rx?  Or a faulty Rx caused a crash?

Best to replace the Rx if you are not sure!

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, (one and all).  Thank you for taking the time and trouble to help me with my dilemma, your efforts on my behalf are appreciated.  It's all 'grist to the mill'.

I will attempt to address your individual mailings in a 'one shot' return.

Andy Gates.  It is indeed, just a 'board', which appears to be functioning normally and has what I take to be a VERY small 'reset' button, which was initially overlooked.  I will attempt to post an image, but at 84 years of age, I may find it beyond my limited expertise in that particular field.  If so, I apologise in advance.

MattyB.  Your second posting solution has already been considered, in discussions with fellow Club members and is on my list of 'Possibilities' Matty, but I thank you anyway.

Ron Gray.  Your assumption regarding space constraints is quite correct and you may well be right as to the possibility of an 'out of case' solution, but I really don't know.

kc.  Both DSM2 and DSMX Spektrum transmitters have been tried, without success.  (Also FrSky).  However, your information regarding their possibly being a difference between Spektrum and Futuba systems, although discussed by Club members, was not resolved at the time, as no one had a Futuba transmitter to test the hypotheses, so the information you provided may prove very useful, for which I thank you.  Although the model itself was quite badly damaged in an 'off field' crash landing, I don't think the receiver electronics were and over time, I've managed to bring the model back to flying condition.  The only missing part, as far as I'm aware, was the cockpit cover, which I've managed to make a replacement for.

In conclusion.  I again thank you all and should I, hopefully, get the model back into controlled flight, I will post a mail to that effect.  It will never look as beautiful as it once was, but as they retail for something in the region of over 500 Euros, I thought it a worthwhile exercise.

Regards.

Derek.

p.s .  I will now try to add a photograph.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipOHZxRM8BVkmjfMeEeT1-vMdrN4fHg-KGqpYdvL

Sorry, getting an error on your picture.

Can you just put it on the forum from your computer?

If you look at the bottom of the box used for replies like this one, there is a paperclip with "drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

Click the choose files bit and point it to where your photo is stored on your computer.

AURI Tyro

Unless you are absolutely sure the receiver is compatible with the Spektrum protocol and has worked in the past you might just a well replace it with a known Spektrum compatible one.

With 2.4 GHz equipment each RC manufacturer can and has selected a transmitter protocol that is unique to them. This ensures that only their matching receivers can be used.

As Spektrum equipment is popular world wide there are some independent manufacturers that make receivers that are compatible with the Spektrum protocol.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

AURI Tyro

Unless you are absolutely sure the receiver is compatible with the Spektrum protocol and has worked in the past you might just a well replace it with a known Spektrum compatible one.

With 2.4 GHz equipment each RC manufacturer can and has selected a transmitter protocol that is unique to them. This ensures that only their matching receivers can be used.

As Spektrum equipment is popular world wide there are some independent manufacturers that make receivers that are compatible with the Spektrum protocol.  

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, (one and all).  Thank you for taking the time and trouble to help me with my dilemma, your efforts on my behalf are appreciated.  It's all 'grist to the mill'.

I will attempt to address your individual mailings in a 'one shot' return.

Andy Gates.  It is indeed, just a 'board', which appears to be functioning normally and has what I take to be a VERY small 'reset' button, which was initially overlooked.  I will attempt to post an image, but at 84 years of age, I may find it beyond my limited expertise in that particular field.  If so, I apologise in advance.

MattyB.  Your second posting solution has already been considered, in discussions with fellow Club members and is on my list of 'Possibilities' Matty, but I thank you anyway.

Ron Gray.  Your assumption regarding space constraints is quite correct and you may well be right as to the possibility of an 'out of case' solution, but I really don't know.

kc.  Both DSM2 and DSMX Spektrum transmitters have been tried, without success.  (Also FrSky).  However, your information regarding their possibly being a difference between Spektrum and Futuba systems, although discussed by Club members, was not resolved at the time, as no one had a Futuba transmitter to test the hypotheses, so the information you provided may prove very useful, for which I thank you.  Although the model itself was quite badly damaged in an 'off field' crash landing, I don't think the receiver electronics were and over time, I've managed to bring the model back to flying condition.  The only missing part, as far as I'm aware, was the cockpit cover, which I've managed to make a replacement for.

In conclusion.  I again thank you all and should I, hopefully, get the model back into controlled flight, I will post a mail to that effect.  It will never look as beautiful as it once was, but as they retail for something in the region of over 500 Euros, I thought it a worthwhile exercise.

Regards.

Derek.

p.s .  I will now try to add a photograph.

Simon - I thank you for your input, which I've read with interest.  Unfortunately I've managed to corrupt it after reception, so I've had to take this path to respond.  I'm not the worlds best computer user, so I do make the occasional mistake.  My apologies.  (Mea Culpa).

Regards.

Derek.

Sorry, but trying to work out what receiver you have by binding random TXs to it is a somewhat baffling approach when at the end of the day you will still have to replace the RX given you know it can’t be a Spektrum compatible at this point. When you buy a secondhand model swapping out the RX (if they include one) is something you will have to do the vast majority of times, but takes a few minutes normally, though I accept on a DLG it can be a bit trickier.

Even so, save yourself some time and lots of frustration and swap it for a known good micro RX; one of the LemonRX 6ch ones should do nicely and won’t break the bank…

https://lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=258

Edited by MattyB

AURI Tyro

No problem

You have a perfectly acceptable Spektrum DX7 so it would make sense to purchase a suitable receiver that is small enough for the DLG's fuselage and is compatible with the Spektrum protocol. I would seek advice to make sure the receiver you select is truly compatible with the DX7.

As MattyB points out it is quite normal to replace any 'crashed' electronics, particularly the receiver to minimise the risk of failure that will result in a complete loss of control.

In addition the AURI DLG is quite a sophisticated (and expensive!) plane so it would be a pity to damage it any further.   

MattyB

I thank you for the suggestions and have taken note, but the 'random' TX trials, were the result of my attending the usual weekly Club winter Indoor flying session and there were other TX's immediately available, plus interested owners.

Simon Chaddock

I've never previously had to deal with the current situation, or indeed this type of glider, or construction material thereof, so it's a bit of a 'learning curve' for me and I don't absorb, or retain new knowledge at my age, as well as I used to do.  However, being able to look back on the forum contributors input, is ideal and I really appreciate everyone's taking the time and trouble to respond to my initial enquiry.  I thank you one and all.,

p.s. I'm going to attempt another image transfer from my mobile 'phone.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1QipPjyscPIojyJUF-wbu1Rp4AiQyYjy87IfKawwGN

Auri tyro

Don’t be so hard on yourself it happens to a lot of us.

If it were me I would get the smallest Rx that is known to work with your Tx at the correct channel numbers i.e. 4ch 6ch the Lemon ones work well, take it out of the case put heat shrink on it and replace what is there, that least will get you flying and takes away an unknown.

Nigel Dell

Thanks for your supportive text Nigel.  I'll cease the self flagellation forthwith and buy a lemon squeezer, as you advise.  Your post did prompt my memory to discover that my computer was still linked to my previous mobile 'phone, on which I'd done a 'Factory Reset' and overlooked changing the 'App' to my latest 'phone.  Now, where's that 'pointy' hat ?     🤣   All points in your informative mailing noted, with thanks.

Regards.

Derek.