EdgeTX

JohnRabone

Go EdgeTx as it is actively being developed at present. Version 2.8.1 is the current up to date version.

It is very similar to OpenTx so don't think you will be starting again.

YouTube: Painless360 or RC Video Reviews are both excellent with a wide range of helpful reviews. Plenty of others on that platform as well. 

I really like it as a system to use. I use a Radiomaster TX16s.

Depends whether you like playing with new stuff, and what you want to do. OTX still works fine on my Taranis X9D+ and it's quite an old version, however I'm not doing anything fancy. Whilst ETX supports touch screen, you'd need a Tx with touchscreen capability and the X9D+ doesn't. I did have ETX on my radiomaster when i got it and touch screen was handy. I only put OTX on it because I was struggling with setting up a FrSky stabilised receiver and wanted a familiar system.

If your Taranis is working fine for you I’m not sure I’d bother. The touch screen operation isn’t useful for you, and there’s always the risk of accidentally messing something up doing the update. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

I did make the switch but I’m using a touch screen radio, and there was a lot of fiddling and tidying up of model files etc. after doing it. Unless you’re going to benefit I’m not sure why you would bother. For example, the “new bug fixes” idea is fine, but if your radio is working fine then seems you’re not troubled by bugs?

10 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Go EdgeTX.

It's supported, so any bugs are actually fixed. Touchscreen is good (assuming your tx supports it), ui is much better. Can't think of any reason to stick to OTX.....

....my 2p

I guess the obvious answer to that is sometimes it is better to stick with something you know and is not going to suddenly be changed. Many people prefer to stick with older but STABLE software. Any bugs are invariably known and worked around, if that is not acceptable then, by all means, change to a 'live' alternative.

The electronic technical forums are stuffed full of people attempting to load the latest version of their device's firmware/software only to stuff it up and be saddled with a non-working device. Compatibility issues between firmware/software versions, a plethora of different hardware and illiterate users all contribute to this situation when leaving working stuff well alone would have been a perfectly acceptable outcome - at least until 'the authorities' force you to change so they can sell you a new device.

Mind you... I am an old codger who is struggling to see anything good coming out of the future....

...exactly Lipo Man.....

I currently use a Horus X10S Express running OpenTx.  I've looked at EdgeTx and the UI is certainly better (in my opinion).  However, the Horus doesn't have a touch screen and in months of use I've not noticed any bugs, so I won't be changing my current setup for the time being.  It's true that development on OpenTx ceased some time ago, but it does all I need and, as I say, seems bug free.  So, as it ain't broken I ain't gonna fix it!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

OK thanks for the good advice. I am looking to buy first ac and thinking about Eflite Timber as I need to learn. Our patch is not a bowling green! Problem is they come with Spectrum RX so question is can I change this for my FrSky RX & TX? I am 80 in December and last time I built a plane I was about 14! Fairly dexterous with some electrical knowledge! Any advice as starter appreciated….

cheers, John

If you buy the BNF (Bind and Fly) it comes wtith a Spektrum RX that you will ned to replace with a Frsky one. However, the Timber X (I presume that is the variant you are looking at?) does also come in PNP (Plug and Play) format where the RX is not provided for a slightly cheaper price - that is what you should go for.

https://westlondonmodels.com/product/e-flite-timber-x-1-2m-pnp-a-efl3875/

Bear in mind you will obviously not get the gyro stabilisation (AS3X and SAFE functionality) in the HH blurb if you go this route, but you can fit a Frsky stabilised RX if you want.

Edited by MattyB