Decent Budget radio

Afternoon all,

I am looking for a decent budget 2.4ghz radio,

currently looking at,

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Mode 2 Transmitter w/ Module & iA8 Receiver (AFHDS 2A system), from HK

and

Goolsky FS-i6X RC Transmitter 2.4GHz 10CH AFHDS 2A with FS-iA10B Receiver, from AMZN

Both same sort of price, Anyone had an experiences with either, or can recommend anything better for same sort of price.

I moved location to Poole Dorset 5 years ago and upon moving I sold all my Aircraft as more worried stuff may get broken as moved down from the midlands but thought I had kept my radio gear and some odds (Futaba T6EX) but think I may have sold it, forgotten it, lost it ...

I am looking to purchase or build a Shocky, Epp 3D aerobatic foamy mini/micro indoor flyer or similar to fly in the back garden possibly Park etc as getting the itch to start flying again.

Next is also to see if there's any clubs close.

I came across this

Kyosho Minium AD Profile Extra 330SC 2.4GHz Combo Set

But unfortunately cant find any stock and probably discontinued.

Anyway any help or recommends will be very appreciated.

Transmitters are a very personal thing.

For me I would want a Tx with a Multi Protocol Module (gives a much better selection of receivers you can run & not tied to one type or manufacturer) and running open source software which allows you to set your Tx up as you want it not how the manufacturer decides.

As  for clubs, use the club finder on the BMFA web site. I have flown with a club in that direction and found them to be very friendly.

• Thanks 1

The Flysky FSi6 is very popular on our slopes, really nice slim case. Cheap as chips but has full 'computer' capability.

I see they've gone up a bit now (hasnt everything) but when I bought one to test it was only £39 for the combo, bargain  :)

Uses the A7105 so if ever you do upgrade (no need to, its very good) a multiprotocol tx could use your Flysky receivers.

• Thanks 2

There are a few FlySky tx's in the club. You can still get a 10 channel version, with a 10 channel rx for about £70.... it uses a cut-down version of OpenTX so some of the functionality is missing.   Nobody has reported any problems with it in my club.

Personally, I feel it's a little 'toy like' in the hands, but that's just me. It's certainly fantastic value!

• Thanks 1

Guys thanks very much for the suggestions.  I will look at all.

@Andy Gates yes understand with multi protocol as would maybe like a few models, so would mean more receivers to bind etc. and yes a member of BMFA and found a fair few clubs to look at, did the club happen to be Wimborne or Christchurch way or here in Poole 🤔

@GrumpyGnome I did look at the Tx16 but this will definitely be something when I get back into full flight and larger scales again, didn’t look at the Boxer though and is now on my radar 😉

@Don Fry yes same have previous long history with Futaba for cars and then for the Planes, always heard and see good things on spectrum on net and with previous club, but again I would look at spectrum when going back to larger scale and Club flying.

@Phil Green Now this sounds interesting, presently just looking for a budget setup to fly models in my garden for some fun low speed aerobatics when not being able to get to a field. 

My first priority before Club flying needs to be a Hanger/ hobby space, as not enough room for the storage inside. So some sort of shed/ summer house I’m calling it if the missus asks 😉

@Paul De Tourtoulon Yes very aware of the needs specific to the models you want to use the transmitter. 

For this instance micro/ mini Aircraft (up to 500-600mm wingspan) for some EPP, Depron, foamy 3D aerobatic flying fun and I am also a modeller so may try some homemade Kits or shop bought.

When first searching I came across the Kyosho Minium AD Profile Extra 330SC pictured, you could buy in a complete kit withTx for around £70 but unfortunately looks like its discontinued.

MINIUM_AD_4CH_PR_4acc54897f9d3_2_jpg.webp

This was made, kit from eBay, receiver, 4 or 5 channels, is DSMX is Spectrum. Note, I use spectrum and this receiver cane off E bay. HobbyKing do or used to do tiny receivers, a couple of versions, DSMX, or Futaba.

So my planes will fly with a Spektrum tranni, or a Radiomaster unit with a 4 in one adapter. 

0FBFC2CD-7F69-45B4-AADE-0623AB6180E0.thumb.jpeg.1bbd484e539c0db801fdbf11ff247001.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martyn pearman said:

yes understand with multi protocol as would maybe like a few model

Martyn,

Multi Protocol does not relate to the number of models, but to the different radio systems it is compatible with.

It means the radio can use receivers by Hitec, Futaba (not FAAST), FrSky, Spektrum and many others rather than being tied to one manufacturer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Gates said:

Martyn,

Multi Protocol does not relate to the number of models, but to the different radio systems it is compatible with.

It means the radio can use receivers by Hitec, Futaba (not FAAST), FrSky, Spektrum and many others rather than being tied to one manufacturer.

yeah sorry typed this in a rush but meant that I have an understanding due to' in the past and most likely the same now that I will have multiple models that may have different types/ makes of receivers depending on my type of model also. Looking further into this light weight type/build I am seeing the soldered type of receivers to keep weight low so i do agree the right Tx is a must. Hence I thought I'd post as well as researching myself as not flown for about 6 years now and I'm sure technology has advanced a lot, as with anything and there's a lot of new gear/ company's I'm seeing also as well as some sources I used to use for Gear are non existent (I guess due to our previous trying times). But thanks for all Help 😉

I started up needing two of everything, one each for me and for Child_flyer, so the FS-i6X was an obvious way to go. Also I fly electric, and the battery voltage telemetry is really useful. The telemetry receivers are cheap too. The two FS-i6X I have were from Amazon, and they are different - one screen is polarized so that it can be seen with sunglasses the right way up, the other is only visible sideways on if wearing polarized sunglasses. The gimbals on one of them have been troublesome as well. I have not had any radio issue with either, but I am not sure that I trust them to be genuine. Once I discovered that Flying Tech stock Flysky Tx and RX I have only had things from them, (including replacement gimbals). The main limiting factor are the restricted number of mixes (3) and no logic capabilities, if you are doing anything more complicated than a V-tail or two aileron servos.

For small models the standard receivers are pretty light anyway, but there are very small and light versions, as included in FlySky FS-i6X 10CH Transmitter & FS-X6B 2.4GHz iBUS Receiver | Flying Tech.

• Thanks 1

No, thats primarily a PPM/iBus receiver.  It has PWM out but not via a conventional servo block.

I wouldnt buy that particular receiver if I wanted to use standard servos, its more of a multirotor rx trying to be everything.

Flysky do a range of 'conventional' receivers, eg pic below, also there are many 3rd party Flysky-compatible receivers widely available,

some really miniature and some with tiny servos and a brushed ESC,  AR6400 style, I have a couple of those:

image.png.6734a3280dc2e7e26986aad1d4054a95.png

Edited by Phil Green

Be aware that some of the receivers shown in Phil's post use the AFHDS protocol, and not the AFHDS-2A protocol which is the standard for the FS-I6X transmitter. It will do AFHDS as well, but you have to select it specifically in the menu. I checked the FS-R6B, but I suspect the other ones with a similar label are the same (picture is too small to detect what it says on the label).