Guild Fuel Proof Paint

KenC

Advert

Just as an off topic query..... ( its my thread anyway 😉 )    What would the group of experienced  modelers suggest for using to do small repairs to an airframe covered in that lovely deep red solartex.   As it is no longer available  and there is hanger damage to the trailing edge of a wing ? 

I think the only other coloured heatshrink textile material is Oratex, but I paint my models so I don't buy coloured covering, so no idea if it's the same or similar colour to Solartex sorry. If you want to match the colour of the rest of the model then you may just have to consider recovering the whole model. 

Well that is certainly the alternative. It depends if you can live with an obvious patched repair on your model or want to return it to pristine condition. Stripping models covered in tex materials is always easier than stripping film covered models though. Plus getting all the covering off an old model enables you to give it a thorough mid-life inspection and repair ready for more years of service. 

3 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Well that is certainly the alternative. It depends if you can live with an obvious patched repair on your model or want to return it to pristine condition. Stripping models covered in tex materials is always easier than stripping film covered models though. Plus getting all the covering off an old model enables you to give it a thorough mid-life inspection and repair ready for more years of service. 

Yea you will get a better finish with a recover that is for sure. But if its a simple repair just to make the model airworthy again then its quite a significant effort and expense just to cover some small hangar rash

2 hours ago, Neil R said:

Ken - what do you mean by "deep" or "dark" red? I'm only seeing "red" or "antique red" in the Solartex colour charts. I have some old "red" offcuts you'd be welcome to if that's the right colour?  

Neil, looking at the online swatch for Solartex, the antique looks too orange  so it must be the Red , unless back 20 years ago there was another version.  If you have offcuts I am interested ..... where in the world are you ?  Can you PM me ?

As usual, to all responders to all of my queries in this post.... many thanks for your help and comments. A special thanks to Neil R and his kind offer of  some solartex  to try and patch my Magnatilla.  Perhaps the old bird might fly again 😉

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

If the hole is small enough just put one of those BMFA "Safety is no Accident" stickers over it.

No Andy,  the damage is courtesy of a rather nasty little rodent that decided that the trailing edge of the wing might taste nice.  That and some hangar rash which might require the realignment of the tail plane .

Looking at that colour swatch I tend to think two things. Firstly as someone that colour manages a workflow and works to a close match , the colours shown there do not either match the material. I fear whomever did that photo purely snapped it , which is a shame.   Saying that the Red looks more like what I am after, the antique looks too orange. 

2 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

If its a magnatilla i wouldnt loose too much sleep over getting the perfect finish. Chalk it up to battle damage 😉 

Did think of dropping a few glue rivets around the patch and possibly a couple of stitch marks. 

As you are the 4 stroke man, how are 4 strokes at being revived from the garage after 20 years ?

Edited by KenC

28 minutes ago, KenC said:

As you are the 4 stroke man, how are 4 strokes at being revived from the garage after 20 years

usually not bad, same as a 2 stroke really.

Take them to bits, clean, new bearings (and valve springs if rusty or one has been left compressed), rebuild. If any parts are left over try again 😉 

Which engines need attention?