Ian Peacock

Sorry to hear that your father has passed away Kevin - his articles and books were inspirational and especially his famous Dogfight Double pair of Spitfire and Messerschmitt Bf109 funfighters. I don't have any Peacock kits, but I've been informed that the David Boddington designed RCSA Hurricane that I bought at a swapmeet many years ago, which I believe is the model in the magazine, was probably finished by Ian. Please accept my condolences and best wishes,

Hi Kevin

Can I please echo the condolences of previous posters on hearing of your Father's passing. As a child of the 1980's I grew up reading your Dad's many articles on a wide range of subjects. His plan articles and kit reviews were prolific, as was his guidance on airbrushing models. I always liked his method of painting all the markings and insignia onto a model where possible and I also liked his way of giving a scale model a depth of definition by shading around the panel lines and gun ports etc. 

His way of painting definitely influenced my own finishing methods which I use regularly, see some of my models painted "a la Peacock"....

Sadly, I think finding a Peacock Models kit might be very difficult - they must be getting rare now? Your best bet may be either an Ebay search in the radio controlled models section, or perhaps visit one of the model auctions at the BMFA national centre at Buckminster or Gildings Auctioneers in Market Harborough?

I definitely remember the Purple Haze kit. What a cool name!

large.838312.jpg.a762bcc228c5b309a6a55a4eb2f98bae.jpglarge.818245.jpg.244c9ac8a6cfbbe286d61772f3c8dea4.jpglarge.828511.jpg.fd28f3954cde90aaeff423211e506abe.jpglarge.735631.jpg.fb33ec70175dde1110a4bc94ef8e7674.jpg

• Like 1

Very sad news.   Ian Peacock was extremely influential in aeromodelling - his early articles on electric flight in particular.   Lots of designs, kit reviews and articles on many aspects of aeromodelling made him a major figure in British model flying.

I used to enjoy Ian's many articles on a wide range of subjects back in the day. Fair to say perhaps that he was one of the last of the old school aeromodelling journalists  - a style  that I approve of - but of course wasn't at all old fashioned in outlook towards our hobby.

I have a video that I recorded off air of a modelling TV programme with David Boddington, maybe late 80's early 90's where Ian is demonstrating electric control line in an office carpark. He has the power pack in his pocket and feeds the juice up the insulated lines to the modified free flight model (IIRC it was a Kyosho something or the other, but I could be wrong without digging out the disc to check). Brilliant and all quite safely done, but imagine doing that now on TV.

Edited by Cuban8

Also, dad didn't get into electric flight because he was forward thinking. He did it to get back at the local council, who banned the flying of model aircraft in our parks. They defined model aircraft as having a wingspan over a metre and burning combustible fuel. So he built a Cotswolds kits tracer put a rare earth magnet motor and 10 cells in it. It was evil.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi Kevin,

So sorry to learn of your Dad's passing. Ian was an inspiration to myself and so many others. I was an avid reader of Ian's 'Let Us Spray' articles in Aeromodeller before I was lucky enough to meet him when he came to demonstate his airbrushing skills at the Daventry Model Club. Ian also introduced my to the late David Boddington and our friendship spanned many years. One of the first airbrushing projects I undertook with Ian resulted in the model being featured on the cover of Radio Modeller. Ian and David were largely responsible for me choosing to change career direction, relocate and work in the radio control industry - which I have thoroughly enjoyed for almost 35 years.radio_modeller.thumb.jpg.8810d4f4e5517d8eed90fa20cb31bf74.jpg

• Like 4

My condolences to you and the family on your loss. Like the other respondents here, I too was very much influenced by Ian and met him a number of times largely in the late 70s and 80s. Aside from having some of his plans and articles from RCM&E, Radio Modeller, etc of which the Dogfight Double are still my favourites, and a number of his books I have. It was his books on electric flying and airbrushing I think influenced me in both.

I feel very fortunate seeing him numerous times doing airbrushing demos at  Model Engineering Exhibitions,  but especially at the National Modelmaker Festivals. Ian with Graham Swan influenced many of us to get airbrushing and dabbling in Club 20. I hope that you either build or retain his models, etc.

• Like 1