First taste of the sky

toto

Excellent news,

Everything on for an initial induction flight with my potential new club.

Had a terrific conversation this afternoon with a very nice chap who I'm meeting up with in the afternoon. Admittedly there is a 30 % chance of rain so nothing guaranteed but at the very least a chance to put a name to a face and start another potential route to flying.

We discussed many things and after informing of where I was in terms of available trainers etc, it looks like the Domino will have its 15 minutes of fame. At least the use of an electric trainer mitigates the down time and temperamental issues of the glow model in terms of set up and dead stick issues encountered this far.

So ..... tonight ...... I will hit the shed and prior to progressing my Sky 40 wing construction, shall give the Do into a quick going over, charge both transmitters and ensure a supply of suitable Lipo batteries. 

Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

Toto 

• Like 6

Hi Aidan,

I'm just glad to be moving forward again. Hopefully a battery trainer will stack the odds in my favour a bit more. 

The Domino has never been maidened as yet which I have explained and this chap is happy to check it over. We also have a Spektrum user as well so setting up the NX8 and NX6 is no drama. ..... delighted.

As usual .... its down to the weather gods but ... hey ho ..... nothing new there. 

I'm in the shed as we type charging batteries etc and making sure that I have everything I need at hand for an afternoon of electric flying as opposed to carrying everything for Glo.

great stuff .... can't wait.

toto 

• Like 1

Well a great afternoon at East Fortune Aeromodellers courtesy of David Bouchard ( of thie parish ).

It was a late afternoon visit so time was a little limited but a very worthwhile visit none the less.

Had a look at the club facilities including a decent size club but. Plenty room in there. David took me through the way the club worked in terms of it's working area as there is a live landing strip for light aircraft one of which was out and about today.

I took the Domino along to get that checked over thinking that it was just about good to go but there were a few alterations needed in order to get things tip top which I believe it now is. 

David gave it a good going over and picked up on a few points which I then resolved. We also carried out some range checks at different distances and she passed them all with flying colours. 

Unfortunately we did not get as far as the maiden but I'm fine with that as I felt the time was definitely well spent and prioritised in getting the domino to where it should be and we were starting to lose light a bit.

Now to get myself sorted on the WhatsApp to keep me informed as to when my firstitential air time will be.

We also had the obligatory chat with regards to models and the like. All in all a great day ......Once again, thanks to David for giving me his time and I look forward to getting my first flight in.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, toto said:

Well a great afternoon at East Fortune Aeromodellers courtesy of David Bouchard ( of thie parish ).

It was a late afternoon visit so time was a little limited but a very worthwhile visit none the less.

Had a look at the club facilities including a decent size club but. Plenty room in there. David took me through the way the club worked in terms of it's working area as there is a live landing strip for light aircraft one of which was out and about today.

I took the Domino along to get that checked over thinking that it was just about good to go but there were a few alterations needed in order to get things tip top which I believe it now is. 

David gave it a good going over and picked up on a few points which I then resolved. We also carried out some range checks at different distances and she passed them all with flying colours. 

Unfortunately we did not get as far as the maiden but I'm fine with that as I felt the time was definitely well spent and prioritised in getting the domino to where it should be and we were starting to lose light a bit.

Now to get myself sorted on the WhatsApp to keep me informed as to when my firstitential air time will be.

We also had the obligatory chat with regards to models and the like. All in all a great day ......Once again, thanks to David for giving me his time and I look forward to getting my first flight in.

Cheers

Toto

Great news Toto.  It sounds like this is the club for you.  Yes I understand it maybe a bit further away for you to travel  but I think that it will be well worth it.  David sounds like a good man to have at the helm and I'm sure you are dead excited now to make the second trip back and have the maiden flight of the Domino.  Your confidence should be good now that you have seen the facilities at the East Fortune Club and that you have talked with in person to one of its members.  Weather wise , our two locations have similar weather and I have always found out that you can do as much flying in the Autumn and Winter as you can in the summer.  So with fingers crossed I hope that between now and Christmas you will manage a few good flights with the Domino and that will help lay the ground for moving onto to a glow engine powered plane  I'm talking about the Frankinstar here.  But for now, the Donino should be your primary trainer.   Good luck and happy landings as we say.  Your on the right road.    Regards Aidan 

• Like 1

Well,

It looks like tomorrow is on for some flying.

Received an email this afternoon ...... Thunderbirds are go with the Domino.

I'll check all batteries again to make sure everything is good to go. We did use the transmitters ( NX6 and NX8 ) when setting up things last weekend so it wont do any harm in stopping up the charges.

I'll report back as to if I still have a plane ..... or a pile of fire kindling. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

• Like 4

Hi Aidan .... I've just remembered .... I was set homework to do for this .... I was to set dual rates on the transmitter. Better remember that later tonight when I'm back in the shed.

I have the motor to fit to the Sky 40 which wont take long then its programming for me.

Never a dull moment.

Toto

• Like 1

In theory ..... I have managed to set up my dual ( or triple ) rates which is allocated to a 3 way toggle switch ( switch C ) on both my transmitters.

all sounds good.

I have done this on Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder 

rate 0 = high rate at 100%

rate 1 = mid rate at 70%

rate 2 = low rate at 60%

whenever I toggle to say elevator and move the toggle switch to either of the three positions ..... the correct value shows ..... delighted  BUT ......

This only happens on Elevator and Rudder.

When I am in Aileron setting I set my 0 rate at 100% ...... My mid rate at 70% and my low rate at 60% but the low rate box is a hatched effect rather than a solid black box.

what ends up happening is that as I toggle through the options 0, 1 or 2 the number 2 option seems to revert to the same value as the 0 option. as if they are tied together somehow.

I'll repeat setting 0 and setting 1 ..... the selection box is solid black but setting 2 is hatched ...... how do I get that to go black ?????

any advice appreciated as I know its something simple ..... when you know how. .... I'm off to consult the manual again.

toto  

• Like 1

Assembled the domino ...... all plugged in and both Master and Student transmitters switched on.

Done the master first ..... All surfaces work in all three settings .....

Next hold down the bind button to pass control to the Student transmitter ..... tried all three surface ...... thunderbirds are go.... throttle cut also works on both transmitters so we are all ready for action.

P1120319.thumb.JPG.c943decfad76d85df994086c423c2fda.JPG

And ..... there she is ...... as you may never see her again .....😄

toto 

• Like 1

As usual ..... one step forward ....... two steps back .....

I discovered a tear in the covering ....... 

P1120324.thumb.JPG.c5eeae9134cb7fa3cde153257eaab8bf.JPG

not huge but if the wind gets under it ...... you know whats going to happen ...... so 

P1120322.thumb.JPG.7300011ca305c8955e0b5708140394f9.JPG

out with some of this ......

P1120323.thumb.JPG.2bac6f847f5ca32083d9367c19772bc4.JPG

one of these ....... and its time to patch. I don't have the required colours and its always going to look obvious so I am not spending too much time on it.

P1120325.thumb.JPG.e6bb49ecd35d00baf4618c9fe492cf3f.JPG

cut a piece out .....

P1120326.thumb.JPG.3ae16bc291fb980aaae0b48b46269665.JPG

started tacking it down .....

P1120326.thumb.JPG.3ae16bc291fb980aaae0b48b46269665.JPG

turned up the heat .....

P1120327.thumb.JPG.b279b5bb6ee609324b058c799673c0a7.JPG

and finished the job.

I could have thought out the patch better on looking at it further but did not want to waste too much film on such a small fix.

either way ...... its now good to go.

toto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toto said:

In theory ..... I have managed to set up my dual ( or triple ) rates which is allocated to a 3 way toggle switch ( switch C ) on both my transmitters.

all sounds good.

I have done this on Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder 

rate 0 = high rate at 100%

rate 1 = mid rate at 70%

rate 2 = low rate at 60%

whenever I toggle to say elevator and move the toggle switch to either of the three positions ..... the correct value shows ..... delighted  BUT ......

This only happens on Elevator and Rudder.

When I am in Aileron setting I set my 0 rate at 100% ...... My mid rate at 70% and my low rate at 60% but the low rate box is a hatched effect rather than a solid black box.

what ends up happening is that as I toggle through the options 0, 1 or 2 the number 2 option seems to revert to the same value as the 0 option. as if they are tied together somehow.

I'll repeat setting 0 and setting 1 ..... the selection box is solid black but setting 2 is hatched ...... how do I get that to go black ?????

any advice appreciated as I know its something simple ..... when you know how. .... I'm off to consult the manual again.

toto  

I'd do 100 75 50 as a starting point bit we all do different 

Hi Learner,

I'll see how things pan out tomorrow, they may well end up being changed again anyway depending on how things work.

To be honest, when I was flying the Beaver and the Frankinstar I flew on 100% for the majority of the time. The only times I dropped to the lower settings is when I maybe scared the thick brown stuff out of myself on occassion. 😄

This is the maiden for the Domino so its anyone's guess how its going to perform...... Hopefully well ..... like a tamed child.... for my sake...😄

cheers for now

toto 

• Like 1