First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

4 hours ago, toto said:

We were under pressure to get a move on to ensure that we could get a flight in so ... zero range check 

No range check ? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.....

(I've been biting my tongue for a few hours.)

Good call re who has control.  I was buddy-boxing a few people today and a couple of times I thought the pupil had control but in reality I did. Not convinced that holding down a button to transfer control is ideal - I'd rather it was on a much more positive two position switch.  Also check that inadvertently moving a control on the master does not transfer control back to the master.....

• Like 2

Peter,

apologies, I missed your post back there.

My instructor set the engine up. I had explained earlier to him that I wanted to start getting physically involved in this and to start going through the motions to understand the procedure and theory behind it.

There was a bit of effort went into getting it to start initially so he took the lead. he was explaining the priming etc but again .... due to the pressure we were under to get up ... down .... and off the field it was more like a forced march. maybe just bad timing. I think generally he is a little reluctant to be letting me undertake this at the moment. i think I have to go with it for now. however, I can continue reading up on this and when next in the position, ..... I will talk him through what he is doing in order to give a little confidence that I understand the process.

toto 

• Like 2

Toto

Why don't you go up to the field tomorrow and just run the engine to get used to starting it and running it.  After wsrming it up experiment at full throttle with the main needle.  If you have a tachometer, get the engine running as fast as possible then open the needle to drop rpm by 300.  Then adjust the slow running needle, agsin aiming for the fastest speed then check if it accelerates cleanly.  If it hesitates it's too rich if it dies it's too lean.  Then stop it, let it cool, and try restarting it.  With a cold engine, finger over the carb intake and turn the prop over.  Once the fuel has reached the carb, open the throttle fully and turn the prop over by hand for 3 full turns to get the required rich mixture - flick the prop over listening to the noise made by the wet engine.  Then apply the glow start and the starter.  

If you have the correct prime, the engine should start immediately or at lesst show signs of life.  Each engine will require different priming to start easily.  You need to learn what your engine needs regarding priming but 3 choked turns of the prop is a good start.  It may need more though.

You don't need your instructor to help you do this.

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

you are right ..... even inclement weather could allow some basic bench testing etc at the field ....... If I had access. unfortunately, until I reach at least solo status, I dont get the key to the toy cupboard. I am not allowed to access the club facilities by myself .... I don't have the combination to the lock on the gate. 

I can phone my instructor to see if he will be going dependent on the weather but unless that's the case ..... I'm grounded. Club rules I'm afraid.

I'll do a couple of calls tomorrow but I think the consensus is ..... we won't be flying .... if anyone is in attendance at all.

If only life was so easy ...... ☹️ you couldn't write a book like this could you.

toto 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can be there without an instructor ....... but can't do anything unless there is some kind soul to take me on board. I think there will be a reluctance from many to do that ...... don't know the spektrum equipment ..... I'm not really an IC guru ...... i'm not instructor material.

There are apparently 46 members of which you would be lucky if there was around a dozen reasonably frequent members in attendance ..... not all at once mind. 

I am not sure they are really set up for bringing new members on really. If they had a dependable club trainer with associated equipment, I would not need to be faffing around trying to provide it and they would be working with equipment that they understand themselves maybe. ...... I don't want to go on as I'm not really keen to criticize to much. I'm trying to make the best of it. 

toto 

• Like 1

Like I said I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to be operating an engine on their own and certainly wouldn't recommend it. My surprise was really on you not being allowed the gate combination, but least said, soonest mended. It's not at all unusualy to only have maybe 20-30% of a club as the most regular, active flyers BTW.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Makes me wonder how I learned how to start a diesel engine on my own aged 13!

Yes likewise, God forbid any car maintenance on a REALLY big engine, as I remember it from a young age (and without radio control) keep well clear of a running prop and to stop it throw a rag at it!

Any club that said I needed to be accompanied to test an engine would not be one that I was a member of.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3

Yes, I agree a range check wouldn't highlight any buddying issues.  But to not do a range check on a plane which has, in effect, a new radio seems a little irresponsible of the instructor. Especially given the history. 

I also agree with not trying the engine on ones own when you're unfamiliar with it.  We probably all did it as kids, but not with modern powerful 7.5cc engines I suspect.  Certainly, the biggest I had before joining a club was about 1.5cc (can still cause nasty injuries, but less  nasty I think).

I'm surprised anyone suggests stopping an engine by throwing a rag in the prop........

Keep persevering @toto.  This very steep learning curve will soon start to flatten out.

• Like 1

Hi PDB,

The other Club is reserved as a last option. I am trying to keep faith as long as I can.

There will be a line in the sand at some point where if I feel I can't progress where I am, I will gracefully move on...... but I won't pack in.

I only have to reach solo then any I can matters into my own hands a bit more whilst I look to achieving my A cert. There will be less reliance on others and I can do my own thing in charge of my own destiny.

One thing I would say though is that if they hope to attract other new starts, they'll have to get better systems in place. They may end up with newbies that will be looking to have reliable equipment and a stronger regime in place. Right now, they are lucky that they have had someone who is prepared to take the full financial hit from the outset.

Ron,

I can understand it from a safety point of view but I think they'll have to place a little trust in folks. I don't push it as it's not really worth the aggravation. They gave their rules. Hopefully I won't be restrained by them for too long. 

Grumpy,

I do agree that if ever the model needed a proper range check ..... its now. However everything is rush rush. I have to go with the flow to a certain degree otherwise I could be swimming against the tide.

Toto

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, toto said:

The other Club is reserved as a last option. I am trying to keep faith as long as I can.

Join as many clubs as you need to reach your goal.

I changed clubs in the 1st year to get better training even though it was 20 miles further and have been a member there since.

However I have recently rejoined the first as its a bit more convenient for a quick visit and have been a member of another.

Its down to whatever suits you.

You might be lucky and find a ic expert that uses Spektrum in the other club.

• Like 1

Hi Learner,

I had thought about that approach. The danger is if I start picking and choosing certain weekends to attend any one club, any commitment from people may start to drop. 

I do need to seriously start thinking about taking that risk though as I can't go on indefinitely setting nowhere. I have a contact email from the other club ....... its maybe time for a conversation.

Toto

1 minute ago, toto said:

Hi Learner,

I had thought about that approach. The danger is if I start picking and choosing certain weekends to attend any one club, any commitment from people may start to drop. 

I do need to seriously start thinking about taking that risk though as I can't go on indefinitely setting nowhere. I have a contact email from the other club ....... its maybe time for a conversation.

Toto

If your concerned have a word with your trainer and tell him you dont want to take up all his valuable time to train you, say your thinking of occasionally going elsewhere to give him a break and gain different experiences.

He may be relieved to have a bit more time to fly  himself or disappointed as some would rather train than fly.

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with it I can fully understand that club’s rule about no access to site until solo status attained. This does tend to prevent those who feel they can go it alone! 

Seems like a case of an overzealous committee in my book. Makes one wonder how that sort of rule manages to gain approval. Quite right to insist on supervision when flying, but stopping a beginner from using club facilities on their own to check out a model, or get to grips with learning to run an engine without disturbing their neighbours at home, I could never agree to.

• Like 2

All the best with your trials and tribulations toto.

Time to step back and look at what you have achieved so far, evaluate lessons learned and plan your next steps.

Please do not try to rush things as it ain't gunna work unless you are a child prodigy so just take a breath, one step at a time and one day you might wonder what all the fuss was about.

Pink Floyd managed to put it into words and so for your enjoyment I include the following

* Chris *

Learning To Fly

Edited by Christopher Wolfe
Old age

40 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Seems like a case of an overzealous committee in my book. Makes one wonder how that sort of rule manages to gain approval. Quite right to insist on supervision when flying, but stopping a beginner from using club facilities on their own to check out a model, or get to grips with learning to run an engine without disturbing their neighbours at home, I could never agree 

We had a case of a beginner supposedly ground running his engine on his own while waiting for his instructor. The fact that he was carrying bits of plane back to his car when a commitee member arrived didn't go down too well!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Learner said:

We had a case of a beginner supposedly ground running his engine on his own while waiting for his instructor. The fact that he was carrying bits of plane back to his car when a commitee member arrived didn't go down too well!

You can only put rules into place for the benefit and protection of all club members and expect people to be reasonable and sensible enough to accept and abide by them. Rules are not set in stone and are often modified or got rid of depending on all manner of circumstances. 

I should think that when we join a club and sign a declaration to the effect that we accept and agree to be bound by the club rules, we do actually mean it. 

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2