First taste of the sky

toto

I wouldn’t be too quick to judge your club members on their reluctance to get involved with a totally different radio system.  I know that, although I have familiarity with Futaba and Jeti systems, I always refer requests to help set up Spektrum kit to other Spektrum owning members. Even then there can be head scratching between transmitter variants so I know to leave well alone!  It’s one thing to set up a model yourself but sorting out a bit of a mess on an unfamiliar system can be far from simple - and can be even when you know the system. 

I have spent many hours at home learning the intricacies of my own radio - easy to get to grips with the basics but trying to work out some more advanced aspects at the field with all that goes on around would be a nightmare!

• Like 2

Advert

One thing beginners should do is to bring their Tx handbook with them so those unfamiliar with a particular brand would be able to read how to, for example, set up the failsafe.  Trying to work out where a function is hidden in an unfamiliar menu is not easy.

When setting up a trainer all you really need are how to get to the rates, expo, possibly servo reverse,  range check and tge already mentioned failsafe.  You don't need mixing or anything esoteric like logic switches.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Both my NX6 and NX8 handbooks go with me to the field every week.  They are my bibles. :classic_biggrin:

Martin, many thanks for pointing that out. I really didn't think Spektrum was that much harder or different to be honest.

With the exception of the telemetry, my use of the transmitters will be fairly basic I think. I may be proved wrong but I only intend using the basics for relatively straight forward flying. I dont intend to be doing anything fancy or over technical. 

Cheers guys

Toto

• Like 1

OK ..... so .... had a quick call with my mentor today ....... no flying for three weekends due to other commitments. ( hospital appointments being one ).

I'll see what the weather is like .... I may venture up to the field anyway and see if anyone else is available. if I get my finger out .... the domino may be available for a test flight maiden by anyone that may be interested in doing that .... its all pie in the sky for now.

I'll report back....

toto

• Like 2

14 hours ago, toto said:

OK ..... so .... had a quick call with my mentor today ....... no flying for three weekends due to other commitments. ( hospital appointments being one ).

I'll see what the weather is like .... I may venture up to the field anyway and see if anyone else is available. if I get my finger out .... the domino may be available for a test flight maiden by anyone that may be interested in doing that .... its all pie in the sky for now.

I'll report back....

toto

Not good at all. Stuff gets in the way for all of us from time to time but to leave a newcomer without an opportunity to fly because of instructor unavailability for three weeks needs to be addressed by the club. Not saying that instructors should be available at the snap of anyone's fingers but things sound a little too laid back where you are at the moment. Usually some sort of arrangements can be made to arrange a stand-in, even on a temporary basis. Hopefully you'll get some other help.

Edited by Cuban8

I dont know if the club is aware as yet so maybe I'll get a call from one of the others.

I was meant to get a return call from this other club so maybe ( hopefully ) that may happen for one of the days this weekend. That would work in fine.

Toto

• Like 2

If the next three weekends were going to be a washout weatherwise,  then it's neither here nor there as that would rule everything out.   But if the forecast is good for at least some of those days in question then it would be a shame if you didn't manage to get up to the field for a few more lessons with somebody willing to give you a hand.  

Hit the shed earlier tonight. Sim time and 3s batteries on charge for the turbo timber evolution. 

I started tidying up the Domino a little as well as there were a couple of not so good Z bends that were formed prior to buying my Z bend pliers. I reformed there and they are much greater and a better more precise throw movement.

Busy night

Toto

• Like 4

No flying this weekend.

The following weekend is the same. Hopefully will pick back up after that. I am helping with an exhibit for O gauge model railways next weekend in Dundee. The first in a while now. Looking forward to it.

Onwards and upwards.

Toto 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toto said:

No flying this weekend.

The following weekend is the same. Hopefully will pick back up after that. I am helping with an exhibit for O gauge model railways next weekend in Dundee. The first in a while now. Looking forward to it.

Onwards and upwards.

Toto 

Thats a wee change for you Toto with the model railways.  We have an old saying over here "That a change is as good as a rest"  

Yes,

I am looking forward to it again. I'm helping one of my mates on this one. Should be a great day of operating and  mingling / answering questions to the public. 

A few coffee's a bacon buttie ..... what more could you ask for :classic_laugh:. Not too far to travel either.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toto said:

Yes,

I am looking forward to it again. I'm helping one of my mates on this one. Should be a great day of operating and  mingling / answering questions to the public. 

A few coffee's a bacon buttie ..... what more could you ask for :classic_laugh:. Not too far to travel either.

Cheers

Toto

Have a great day and enjoy every minute.   Hard to beat a bit of good grub and what better than a good old  bacon buttie washed down with lashings of the black stuff, coffee that is 😂 

• Like 1

Well,

Driving down the road from Perth this morning and I received a phone call ( hands free of course ). An invite to another flying club pencilled in for Saturday the 21st October .... weather permitting.

This is another club that I had discussions with when initially starting but had sort of drifted away for some reason. They intimated at the time that they had Spektrum users. Maybe things are looking up. 

I can only go a long and see what they have to say / offer. Can't be any slower than my present situation albeit a bit further away. Just need to get out my scratcher a bit earlier. 

Watch this space.

Toto 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, toto said:

Well,

Driving down the road from Perth this morning and I received a phone call ( hands free of course ). An invite to another flying club pencilled in for Saturday the 21st October .... weather permitting.

This is another club that I had discussions with when initially starting but had sort of drifted away for some reason. They intimated at the time that they had Spektrum users. Maybe things are looking up. 

I can only go a long and see what they have to say / offer. Can't be any slower than my present situation albeit a bit further away. Just need to get out my scratcher a bit earlier. 

Watch this space.

Toto 

Thats very good news Toto to hear. This may be prove to be your resurrection by going along to this club.  You've nothing to lose.  Hear what they have to say and what they have to offer, then you can do a Hughie Green and it's make your mind up time.  If all else fails you still have your present club to work with in the meantime.  Hope that you enjoyed your wee break to Perth.   The weather here is glorious today and very little wind.  So I have the Tiger 40 on the charger and my transmitter charging away also.  Will have a shave now and look decent for the lads at the club and hope that a good days flying follows suit.   That's great news Toto about this other club regardless of distance, at least you are keeping your options open which can only be a good thing when you have this choice.  When you do eventually settle in to whichever club you prefer best, then things will soon knit together.  

• Like 1

As above ..... another week before I visit this second club ..... next Saturday. 

This weekend I am in Dundee both Saturday and Sunday operating on an O Gauge model railway layout at Dundee Railway Modellers exhibition layout. So no flying potential regardless of weather or tutor availability. I have been booked in to help on this for months now so must make the commitment. It should be good getting back into the fold after some time away. 

By the time I finish each day and drive back down to Edinburgh from Dundee .... there may not be much shed time either so hoping to keep the Sky 40 build going tomorrow night  with a bit of luck. ..... we'll see.

cheers for now

toto  

• Like 1

Ok chaps ..... here is the latest on potential flying progress .... I had a date for Saturday coming for an introductory meeting and flight with another club within travelling distance of home.

I received a very nice email today cancelling the meeting as it is being pretty well forecast that we have another storm on its way for very inclement weather indeed. So ..... another hiccup in my flying log.

Never mind ..... another potential date of 27th or 28th of the month is being muted ..... weather permitting.

Even the shed time may be effected over the next week or so as I have been between contracts for the last 7 weeks or so and ( thankfully ) had a call this morning that may have me with a new Client shortly. A new contract on a wind farm up in the north of Scotland ( but working from home about 80% of the time ) with initial meetings in London next week if it comes off. ...... I may be eating turkey this xmas after all. 😄

anyway .... a real mixed bag of events .... but thats the life of a self employed Quantity Surveyor ..... you go where the work is.

more as it happens ..... and preferably with a bit of flying chucked in for good measure. 😄

toto 

• Like 6

A quick update ....... secured my contract ..... start on Wednesday in London for a day then St Andrews ..... good result.

The flying ..... had a call yesterday from my potential second club asking if I could make it down today ....... just a little bit short notice as I have a few things to,sort out before Wednesday. Not just that ...... given the storms that we have had lately .... I was not expecting a call with the prospect of flying .

I still have my originally planned visit for next weekend the 28th so fingers crossed thatmthemqeather gods are in ,y favour. Haven't heard anything from my current club so maybe a call there may not do any harm.

What a hassle.

Fingers crossed

Toto

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toto said:

A quick update ....... secured my contract ..... start on Wednesday in London for a day then St Andrews ..... good result.

The flying ..... had a call yesterday from my potential second club asking if I could make it down today ....... just a little bit short notice as I have a few things to,sort out before Wednesday. Not just that ...... given the storms that we have had lately .... I was not expecting a call with the prospect of flying .

I still have my originally planned visit for next weekend the 28th so fingers crossed thatmthemqeather gods are in ,y favour. Haven't heard anything from my current club so maybe a call there may not do any harm.

What a hassle.

Fingers crossed

Toto

Thats where you're going wrong working, my flying improved big time when I stopped working on nice days.

You swine ...... I've got at least 8 years to go and even at that ...... I'll be living like a pauper if I stop. ..... too much living for the moment and not enough planning for the future.

You deserve every bit of it though so good luck ...... just spare a thought for your poorer relatives ....... :classic_biggrin:

Kind regards 

Toto

• Haha 1