First taste of the sky

toto

Thats tomorrows job ........

I was a bit elated in getting the Domino electrics done that I have had an extensive conversation with my mate John Smith ...😄 so I am going to pack up in the shed and return indoors with a rather smug look on my face ...... settle down and have a general read over the forum. Happy to gab ...... but no more breaking sweat for tonight.

I did install some 4 x 4 stock in the SKY 40 wing but wasn't worth starting a post on. I'll catch up with that as soon as I've swapped out the motors tomorrow night. 

Ahhhhh ..... chill out time..... 😄

toto

• Like 1

Advert

Ok Toto, about 100 watts per pound assuming the model weighs 5.5lbs. It's a little more than I would advise but it will certainly get it up there in short order. Certainly better than staggering about on 32 watts per lb which is what the previous set up seems to have produced. I'm surprised it flew at al with so little power!  You will be on the buddy box until you gain sufficient experience and confidence, just remember the throttle moves both ways so you can always throttle back if the model is flying too quickly for you.

Best of luck for the weekend and let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Hi David,

I will do. I am not a speed merchant. Many times in the past when flying I have been partial to easing back on the throttle. Maybe my mentors are flying a little too quick for my liking and I simply ease back to where I am comfortable with. I don't believe there is any restriction .... fast or slow ...... that you need to hit when taking your A test. The idea is competency and flying safely. 

Same with height actually. I find sometimes my mentors are flying too high ....... I understand why ... but ... as soon as I am a bit more experienced ..... the 3 mistake high rule will be down to two. I like to have the model relatively close and low ( ish ). Maybe when my ability to establish orientation better develops, I'll be more comfortable letting the model out a bit. We're all different. 

Roll on the weekend and much respect to the weather gods.:classic_biggrin:

Toto

2 hours ago, toto said:

Hi David,

I will do. I am not a speed merchant. Many times in the past when flying I have been partial to easing back on the throttle. Maybe my mentors are flying a little too quick for my liking and I simply ease back to where I am comfortable with. I don't believe there is any restriction .... fast or slow ...... that you need to hit when taking your A test. The idea is competency and flying safely. 

Same with height actually. I find sometimes my mentors are flying too high ....... I understand why ... but ... as soon as I am a bit more experienced ..... the 3 mistake high rule will be down to two. I like to have the model relatively close and low ( ish ). Maybe when my ability to establish orientation better develops, I'll be more comfortable letting the model out a bit. We're all different. 

Roll on the weekend and much respect to the weather gods.:classic_biggrin:

Toto

TBH you've had so little stick time given all the technical shenanigans and having the weather against you etc, that you're doing OK. I have to smile when you say you're not a speed merchant, but that's only because the planes are still really flying you and not the other way about at the moment.

That'll change. I guarantee you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toto said:

Hi David,

Toto

Just not too slow, or you'll be a bit too close to stalling it 😉

Hi Frank,

I like to see it making progress. Last weekend it was too slow to me so I guess I'm not scared of speed, I just like to see it cutting through the air rather than fighting against it. 

I find that if I keep it to a reasonable speed, Its easier to get the aileron / elevator mix correct for banking round corners. If I'm going too fast, the risk of over banking and the introduction of a potential death spiral are all too great ....:classic_biggrin:

My muscle memory is still developing but is getting better and things are slowly starting to happen automatically. ..... must be progress.

Toto

Edited by toto

Hi Toto, some of the cheap plastic spinners particularly the ones where the back of the spinner goes over the prop and the prop nut retains it after which the dome is fastened on with 2 screws I have found the rear part does not sit flat on the prop . The ones with the aluminium back plate that goes on before the prop are generally ok .

• Like 1

The APC will come with a selection of prop adaptor rings that'll enable you to get a good fit on your prop driver. You may find that you won't need them and will actually need to enlarge the prop hole slightly with a suitable reamer. Instructions will be included with the prop. I know most don't bother, but it's worth taking the razor sharp edges off the prop's TE - just enough to stop you cutting your fingers too easily - also worth balancing the prop, although APCs are very good straight out of the packet in my experience.

I bought a new 12x6 from Inwoods Ebay shop a couple of weeks ago and it was only slightly out of balance when checked on my balancing jig. A few strokes of sandpaper to take the sharp edges off had it balanced perfectly, although it would have been fine as it was.

Just for info - the tips of APC E props are particularly vulnerable to damage and will chip readily on nose overs and duff landings, especially in the cold and as they age -  if the chipping isn't symetrical it'll vibrate and make quite a noise on the next flight if not noticed. Providing the damage isn't too bad and the rest of the material is not showing wear or distress, you can trim the tips to correct the problem and then rebalance rather than throwing out an otherwise perfectly good unit, which in larger sizes are not cheap to replace.

One needs to use good judgement and common sense and clearly a prop that's been stuffed in from a great height and has more chips all over it than Harry Ramsden's is quite another question.

Same with IC props - with very few exceptions, damage to a prop intended for IC usually means a trip straight to the scrap box.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Cuban8 all good stuff to know.

I have ordered APC 12 x 8 props as well as the 40 size 900kv motor ..... and another couple of 4s batteries ...... and a 60A ESC .... they should all be arriving tomorrow so she will be set up in her best bib and tucker for the weekend.

watch this space .... 😄

cheers

toto

• Like 1

Check that setup very carefully with your watt meter- I have a feeling that at full whack your ESC will be close to or exceeding its rating on 4S.

Keep an eye on the motor as well. Monitor its temp closely at high settings and keep your nostrils alert for the distictive aroma of hot windings.

Just a heads up - better forewarned than getting the MBS.

Edited by Cuban8

I'll be giving it the final once over when the motor and ESC arrive tomorrow.

All 4s batteries were charged earlier tonight and two more arrive tomorrow. Six all together.

I'll bung the watt meter overh it again for its final setup. And post up the results. Things should be good for Sunday. 

Toto

Re Wattmeter readings of tethered aircraft.  When airborne, the prop is not as heavily loaded and so will draw between 15-25% less power and hence current.  It's OK to go up to and even a little over the limits on the ground tethered tests but don't let the motor run at max power for anything like a minute when you are doing your next check.  A quick accell up to max power and read the amps and power outputs - the rest of the outputs are not useful for these purposes.  You can read the 2 essential readings of EITHER current and power OR current and voltage.  Watts are current x voltage.  Close the throttle and write those 2 values down. 

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that it would be very interesting to have an idea of what RPMs at full chat your 12x8, 900Kv and 4S system is operating at in addition to the watt meter numbers. Don't know if you have an optical tacho - they're not expensive and I use mine regularly. I'd be surprised if one of your clubmates didn't have one in their flight box and could tach the system for you at some point.

https://sussex-model-centre.co.uk/products/prolux-digital-tachometer

A tad dearer that what I paid quite a few years ago, but still worth the investment.

Thanks for that Peter,

I keep the full throttle time to a minimum. Just had confirmation from the courier that my items are being delivered today so hopefully I'll be on for completing this tonight.

At least the Domino will be comp,merely set up and confirmed as good to go again. .... finally. 

Cheers

Toto

Hi Cuban8

I believe I have one. ..... just need to rake it out from the safe place that I stored it. :classic_biggrin:

I cant use it in the shed though as the shed is fitted with florescent fittings. A no no I believe. It will also be too dark outside by the time I get to it tonight so that maybe something for the weekend. 

I would be happy to get my head around the use of it now that I have the basics of the Watt Meter in my head ...... one thing at a time for this old brain of mine .... :classic_biggrin:

I'll come back on it.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

OK ..... So I posted the final Domino results with newly arrived motor etc over on the Domino thread but since I have generally been posting the various Watt meter findings here as well ..... here they are if it makes it easier to follow. from now on anything specific to the Domino .... rather than my flying journey will go on the other thread.

So ....

Unloaded results 

00.00 A            16.69 V

186.20 WP         00.00W

00.004 AH

00.00 WH

12.52 AP

16.16 WM

Loaded with throttle on full pelt

39.55 A            15.05 V

783.70 WP        571.20 W

0.668 AH