First taste of the sky

toto

That's good advice Andy.

I was at the field today and flying alongside a fellow club member who was practising for his B certificate. He was obviously a competent pilot but I noticed him struggling to align his landing with the centre of the strip. After he landed I explained the visual cues that I use (tall tree, 3rd cooling tower on power station, etc) and he realised he had been making his final turn much earlier than was ideal. He was initially surprised how late I left the turn but was convinced when he saw my model go straight down the runway every time.

As I was packing my models and equipment in the car he was walking around the patch, eyeing up the visual cues for other wind directions.

• Like 5

Advert

19 hours ago, toto said:

Looks like next weekend. However some good learning points taken away from today's experience and things I need to concentrate on. ..... flying nearside circuit legs Waymo close to the pilot stance. That's a no no . Again down to special awareness and getting that virtual flying circuit space ingrained into my head.

So far ... this has been a major stumbling block for me at both my flying clubs ..... obviously some kind of mental thing. 

Toto

Don't beat yourself up too much, at the moment your concentration is focused on flying the plane as you get more stick time, you'll be able to devote more brain power to it's position in the air. I find when instructing at the beginning I have to instruct the student when to make turns adjust throttle etc while he concentrates and flying the plane, but as experience is gained then the flying becomes more natural and focus shifts to positioning the aircraft with respect to the field layout etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Landing a model aeroplane gives the biggest thrill of the lot once you've mastered it.  

Finding it in a condition good enough to fly again is even better still!😁

Q. does anyone actually master landings? Even the guys and gals in the big stuff don't always have a 100% record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatMc said:

The wrong kind of bigger thrill if you're model is a gllider & the water is part of the North Sea !! 😳

That's very true but there is a very active group of waterplane flyers in Scotland who hold events at least once a month on the many lochs there. Have a look for "Seaplanes Scotland" on facebook.

• Like 1

We used to have access to a small lake about 10 miles from my club but after we'd had a few 'splash ins' it became unavailable. Also took part in some events at Kielder reservior many years ago - great fun at both venues. 😊

PS forgot to mention - once went on an island hopping (local taxi service) DH Beaver flight from Coal Harbour, Vancouver. About an hour or so round trip. An interesting experience, also spent found it fascinating watching the various other waterplane activities in what was a fairly busy harbour.

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 1

No official info on this weekends flying activities but I believe it looks dismal. 

I am connected to the clubs what's app reports ..... or will be once I have upoaded tonight anyway. If not flying ( due to weather ) it'll be shed time . ..... finger crossed for the weather gods :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

Well,

No improvement this week.

Saturday .... an Invite to fly but I am caught up in domestics on Saturday during the day ....... and it's a meal at night to celebrate my 1st wedding aniversary ...... 29 years together but just married last year ....... I don't like rushing things. :classic_biggrin:

Waiting to hear of the potential for Sunday.

I have a few hours on Saturday to charge the batteries should Sunday be a done deal. .... crazy stuff at the moment.

Toto

• Like 1

Thank you kind Sir. 

Celebrating on Saturday night with my best man and his wife. A wee meal and a drink or two.

I've started the practice round in Amsterdam Airport as I type.

Murphys Irish Red ..... lovely. I may manage to squeeze another couple in before my flight. Ahhhhhh somebodies got to do it.

Cheers

Toto

• Haha 1