Charger Advice

malmaz

I am after buying a new charger to supplement the one I have, I am after a dual output charger that would be suitable for my 6s 5000mah lipos,

I have been looking at the ToolkitRC M6d charger, my question is would I be able to charge 2x6s 5000 mah lipos at 1c at the same time? also do anybody

recommend any other dual charger to charge the above?. 

Regards

Malmaz

It certainly should do what you want, specs say 250 watt per chanel and 24 volts X 5 amps is only 120 watts so should do this comfortably.

I don't actually have any experience of that particular charger as I use HOTA 4 chanel chargers to charge 4 5000 mah batteries at the same time.

Obviously you'll need to couple it with a fairly powerful power supply though to get the full power out of it.

Phil

• Like 1

Sorry for another question regarding chargers,  I purchased the Toolkitrc M6d dual output charger my question is about the input voltage.

My power supply is a Hobbyking dual output 540w (not 1000w as in my previous post ) I have had this power supply many years and pleased with it,

the output voltage range is 13.8 - 18v and is set at 18v  the new charger input is 7 - 28v if I charge 2x6s 5000Mah at 5a each will the 18v output of my

power supply be sufficient ?

Thank You

Malmaz    

Your power supply is 540 Watts at 18 Volts so 540/18 = 30 amps which is all the charger can handle anyway (chargers are basically current limited as to what they can handle).

Lets assume your charger is 80% efficient (which would be pretty poor) then 540 X 80% = 432 watts or 216 watts per chanel.

216 watts /25 (nominal) volts = 8.64 amps so will be able to output the 1C charge rate of 5 amps you want with cpacity to spare.

So the answer is yes.    

Thanks for that Philip, my other charger I have is a single output which I have been using to charge my 6s lipos, would I be able 

to use that at the same time as the new charger so I would be charging 3x 6s at the same time or would that be too much for my 

power supply?

Regards

malmaz

Well reversing the above 5 amps at 25 volts is 125 watts divide that by 80% to account for power losses =156.2 watts X 3 = 468.75 watts so yes it should do but with not a lot to spare, you can expect to hear the fans running like a jet engine (or more accurately like an EDF) though.

Worth noting that you can't do any damage, if your chargers want more than 30 amps (say you wanted to charge at 2C) then they will simply be power capped by the power supply anyway which will only supply 30 amps even if the chargers can handle more, you can't drag more out of it than it it is able to supply, all that will happen is that your charges will go to the maximum they are supplied with by the power supply.

Personally I prefer to run power supplies conservatively as running flat out may well be techically OK but will likely shorten their life, you can make or buy really powerful power supplies made from used swapped out servo power supplies quite easily and long term it might be worth while doing that.. 

Edited by Philip Lewis 3