Saito 36 petrol

John Minchell

I have a Saito 36cc petrol engine and considering the installation in a model by looking at the plan.  Unfortunately in the inverted installation there is not enough space for the magnet pick up inside the cowling (now on the top of crankcase).  Is it possible to substitute a different Hall sensor pick up for the magnet in the prop driver (much smaller & lower profile like the Rexcel one) and for it to work OK with the Saito ignition box?  Saito is 18mm tall and wide and Rexcel is 7mm x 7mm and a DLE one is 8mm x 8mm.  I'm not sure about compatibility.  Anyone done it?  Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe there are two different types of rcexel sensor. One is N triggered and one S triggered when it comes to the magnet polarity. So if your saito magnet is installed for N trigger an S trigger sensor will only work if you install it upside down...which wont be very helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...

As I have this engine in mind for a large scale powered glider project, are there any feathering props commercially available that are suitable and safe for IC engines on the market?

Since the cowl shape precludes a folding prop and the obvious electric power option.