Foamboard and depron Sunderland

Eric Robson

Just a few points on the Sunderland, I did not document it as the construction has been covered on my previous foamboard Me 110, Whirlwind, etc.

The fuselage profile was taken from the Tony Nijhuis plan, the side view was drawn onto 2 sheets of foamboard then the formers cut out and  slotted to fit  the profile centre core, which was marked and slotted at the positions on the plan.

I still had some Maker foam left which bends very well and I used this for the bottom of the hull it is 5mm thick, the sides and top were covered with 3 mm sheet depron (sold at B and Q as expanded polystyrene in the insulation dept). care has to be taken forming it as it cracks if formed in the wrong direction, hot glue was used for the formers and Uhu por for the sheeting.

As it is a flat bottom wing  not semi symmetrical as the plan I had to work out? guess the incidence then cut the top section out for the wing seat the fuselage joint was reinforced with foam board at the wing seat.  I should have made a full crucifix plan form but instead cut each bay separately .

Sorry not a lot of pictures I will add some more later.

20220701_131745[596] S Sunderland.jpg

20220703_201415[595] S Sunderland 1.jpg

20230314_230204[599]S Sunderland 3.jpg

• Like 7

The wing lower panel was marked out from the plan and cut to size, the main spar is 1/8th very hard balsa the rear spar is cut from foam board, note the paper covering is left o n the foamboard for strength, the nacelle inner sides are from 1/8" balsa, The inner motors are from a Hobbyking B25  the outer ones are from a Dakota someone had crashed as it flipped on take off, the problem I found was one motor was only putting out half the power of the other. It is now in the bin I had two Racestar 2212 1000 Kv spare, I did not think they would be powerful enough so the first flight was done minus nacelles. they were more than adequate. there is only one rib in each wing and that is for the float mounting, the wing top sheet was cut oversize and curved over the edge of the bench before gluing on with Uhu por, the nacelle formers were added and skinned with 1/8th depron, The cowls canopy and turrets were made from 2ltr. lemonade bottles, I had to place the 2 3s 3000 batteries further forward than planned so some retro cutting of the formers proved awkward but so far so good but a heavy landing may push the front cover behind the front turret out of shape if they move forward,

20230325_215555[605].jpg

20230411_144043[611] S canopy.jpg

20230416_102832[610] Sun 5.jpg

20230422_150616[609] Sun 6.jpg

20230505_110930[607] Sun 7.jpg

• Like 5

As can be seen in the previous post the pop bottle cowl is too big, I cut them down the length and glued them on with Uhu por, to cut the neck off the bottle I used a small beaker on the top and marked around it the entire airframe including cowls canopy turrets and paint cost less than £30. 

20230502_111842.jpg

• Like 5

On 06/05/2023 at 10:54, martin collins 1 said:

Nice job Eric, another great build that shows what can be done with this budget material. Hope to be back on my builds in the next month or two.

Thanks Martin, I have 2 plans I have been gazing at lately a B17 78" span and a Wellington 86" span, if I go ahead I intend to fit retracts so the nacelles and surrounding area will have to be strengthened, Flew the Sunderland today, no wind  even managed some touch and goes, it would make a good trainer very docile and fly's well on rudder and elevator.

• Like 1

Nice Sunderland, they always look so good on the ground, or flying, majestic.

Getting them off the wet stuff, and back down again can be a bit worrying, ( if you can't walk on water ).

Just looked up some of my Sunderland's pictures and video's, good grief it was over 10 years ago.

Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6j06opQtp4

Edited by eflightray

Congratulations on a lovely finished model and for developing alternative construction materials and methods.  These are so important today to offset the (trade supported) idea that people today don't have the time or skills to build and that they must buy the latest plastic fantastic with all the servos installed.

Do give it a try off water.  its great fun and an added dimension to the hobby.

Edited by stu knowles
spilling mistooks
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

That is just lovely.

My Mam said I got my interest in aircraft from as a very young child seeing Sunderland's pass over heading home to Pembroke Dock after patrol.

Thanks JD8 I remember seeing a Sunderland flying when I was young it was off the NE Coast, there was only a small piece of beach open the rest was mined. It was a warm sunny day very little cloud, the white Sunderland looked great flying Northwards. You think I'm telling tales but it was a sunny day with blue skies in the NE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Eric, can we have some explanations/pictures of the new build. You seem to have this technique cracked. We would love to know the technology.

Hi Don, I have just started the Wellington and the weather has improved so during the flying season not much will be done. I have used the Eric Evans plan that I have had for many years but changing the construction. I will start a thread soon as there seems to be some interest.  Nothing done today I flew the Sunderland and a Me 109 this morning and an Acrowot this afternoon which went dead stick and landed in the rough so at the moment doing minor repairs on that

20230508_160118.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 21:56, Eric Robson said:

Thanks Ray, I was inspired by your Sunderland, I didn't want to go as big  for transporting and setting up.

I have started on the next build which is an 86" span Wellington. Some good flying weather will slow progress. 

IMG-20230507-WA0001.jpg

All my biggish models have detachable wings to make life easier for transport. On my Sunderland I made the outer wing panels detachable, so there is very little in the way of assembly, even the aileron servos are in the center section, which is removable from the fuz, (4 nylon screws).

I also prefer to have the batteries in the fuselage, (B17 and Lancaster).

Ray.

May11f.JPG

Edited by eflightray
  • Like 1