Life Battery Advice Please

I have a pair of Spektrum 2S LIFE receiver packs in my P47. For some time when charging them my Overlander charger will complain ‘Connection Error’ after setting either to be charged. I generally charge at 1.0amp using either the LIFE balance ir Charge settings. The issue has been more frequent on one of the batteries. Usually after several re starts the charger stops complaining and they get charged.

However, the more troublesome battery is now not prepared to be charged at all. It reads 66% on my checker so it’s not as though it has gone flat. I don’t tend to fly for more than 4 10min flights on an outing so they hardly get much of a drain. 

weirdly the two batteries in my Sea Fury are also Spekie Life batteries and the charger  also complains in the same way from time to time. The issue worsens when charging both batteries simultaneously on the two channels. In fact for both models I always only charge one at a time now because of this. Incidentally the charger sometimes takes up to a minute or so before complaining.

When charging LIPO batteries I never have any problems with the charger.

Any advice would be most welcome 

Ummm.. I don't believe there is a 'checker' that can give an accurate view of a Life battery. A life batteries discharge is pretty horizontal until the very last point, then it falls off a cliff. Thus a life battery on one of the usual little black checkers (despite them saying whatever %), is pointless. If your checker says 66% for a 2S Life battery, I would check the individual cell voltage, as that is what the typical checker uses.. My Life RX batteries are usually 3.3v per cell, but are higher after charge. They drop after a minute of so, down to 3.3v and stay there until the last point when they drop rapidly.

I note how long I fly, and then when I charge up I note how much I put back in.. only way I know of easily monitoring the Life RX packs. 

As for the connection error, I only get this if my leads have jiggled loose, or the pins on the balance lead have pulled back slightly. Check all of the connections thoroughly.

Note, I'm not familiar with the spektrum Life batteries and their chemistry, they could well differ, but wouldnt have thought dramatically at least on the basis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Somerville said:

I have a pair of Spektrum 2S LIFE receiver packs in my P47. For some time when charging them my Overlander charger will complain ‘Connection Error’ after setting either to be charged. I generally charge at 1.0amp using either the LIFE balance ir Charge settings. The issue has been more frequent on one of the batteries. Usually after several re starts the charger stops complaining and they get charged.

However, the more troublesome battery is now not prepared to be charged at all. It reads 66% on my checker so it’s not as though it has gone flat. I don’t tend to fly for more than 4 10min flights on an outing so they hardly get much of a drain. 

weirdly the two batteries in my Sea Fury are also Spekie Life batteries and the charger  also complains in the same way from time to time. The issue worsens when charging both batteries simultaneously on the two channels. In fact for both models I always only charge one at a time now because of this. Incidentally the charger sometimes takes up to a minute or so before complaining.

When charging LIPO batteries I never have any problems with the charger.

Any advice would be most welcome 

Connection Error’

Nick. Is most definately not you pack

it is your leads or plug connection broken or bad connection inside

check your leads or plug

your charger is doing a perfect job of telling you Connection Error’

Edited by Denis Watkins

33 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Connection Error’

Nick. Is most definately not you pack

it is your leads or plug connection broken or bad connection inside

check your leads or plug

your charger is doing a perfect job of telling you Connection Error’

Thanks, will make all the necessary checks. 

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Have you tried using a different charger? My first suggestion would be to work out whether all four packs have developed the problem, or if the problem follows your charger.

Thanks Nigel, I do have a more basic charger that can be set to LIFE charging so will try that. Good call! The Overlander D100 V2 I use is a replacement to the earlier version I had that went Bang!