Tools

A decent set of Torx keys or sockets is going to cost. Pay peanuts and you'll get Monkey Metal. My old firm used to supply us with Facom Tools which stood up to the constant rigors of professional use. I don't have a set of their Torx keys, but my old set of their Allen keys is still complete and shows minimal wear even after years of use. Not available at bargain basement prices, unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies,

Use is general RC tinkering.

I have some wera torx keys, the small-1.5 or 2.0mm died and they replaced it foc, I have snap-on tools and dewalt in my real life, but some decent tinkering items have eluded me thus far.

3 hours ago, Frank Day said:

Thanks for the replies,

Use is general RC tinkering.

I have some wera torx keys, the small-1.5 or 2.0mm died and they replaced it foc, I have snap-on tools and dewalt in my real life, but some decent tinkering items have eluded me thus far.

Just checking whether you mean Torx or Hex - the reason I ask is that I have built a few helicopters, cars and plans and have never encountered any Torx head screws, plenty of hex head screws though.

You have answered your own question. Midrange set for completeness, when one breaks, wears, replace that one with what you use in real life, top end top price stuff. No need for a complete set. In this game half the sizes don’t get used

For minature allen keys or screw drivers only ever buy ground High Speed Steel. Torx bits are usually forged and hard to find decent stuff in minature sizes . As you say many are made of putty , some are too brittle? I have a set bought from aldi or lidl that i use for watches and very small stuff and a similar for rc and small engine repair.

Allen keys get most frequent use and as i said earlier the Ground HSS are a must to prevent damage to the screw and last for years. 

Any supplied allen keys or drivers are thrown away or into the scrap box . 

Small hex drive grub screws can be a nightmare to shift and have had many brought to me to shift. A good sharp tool(non rounded edges) and sometimes a little heat and they always come out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Frank Day said:

Thanks, I'll look out for ground high speed steel items.

I should add that HSS tools do vary . Some imports claim that materials are HSS but its sometimes rubbish . The clue is usually in the price , so if the price looks too good to be true , it probably is . Having said that I have tried some very cheap Chinese milling cutters for a one off job and they are excellent Quality ,keep their edge and run true . Ive also tried some well expensive allen drivers only to have one snap as it was too hard . English tool used to be the way to go but they are now as rare as hens teeth and even second hand bring good prices , German tool are generally good but have found that some so called German products are I believe  far east manufacture by a German company. Its very much buyer beware.