Popsie Mills 75 replacement.

Geoff S

Some years ago I built a Popsie (approx 1metre ws) from a set of CNC cut parts produced by a forum member on the old RCMF site.  I never succeeded in getting it to fly because I simply couldn't get the CoG right.  It's sits looking accusingly at me saying 'Why have you abandoned me?".  So, I'm looking at it again.

It was destined for electric power and I tried to keep the weight low partly by using a small Axi 2208/26 on 3S.  I did eventually get the CoG somewhere near but the last time I attempted to fly it, it simply wouldn't taxi straight enough to take off.  I think, like many vintage models the u/c is too far forward. I then put at the back of backest burner 🙂

The free-flight original had a Mills 75.  I just wondered how heavy they are so I could have some idea of what size motor I should fit.  Anyone know?

Here's the model complete back in 2012 (still looks much the same - just a bit dusty)

730742791_Complete1.thumb.JPG.650b1da054497558ad9871b398671530.JPG

... and here's how the motor was fitted.

886636710_GPOP_Motor1.jpg.72c9ec038b1ab02e8236cc428c9d009c.jpg

Geoff

• Like 1

The original Popsie only used the Mills .75 for free flight, it used an ED Bee for rc.

Model weights according to the plan (Outerzone) F/F - 15.75oz; RC model 23oz.

Engines - Mills .75 1.75oz; ED Bee 2.75oz.

Note that the kit you've built from has quite a number of alterations from the original so the plan may show the cg in a different place from Vic Smeed's version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hrllo Geoff,

I bult one of those, probably from the same source.  I could never get mine to take off, or ROG in parlance of the day but it flew well from a hand launch.  

Mine flew quite a bit in the first year but hasn't been out for a long time.  Think of the dust as a sort of patina

• Like 1

I remember the RCMF fly-in where the Popsie was the theme model.  There must have been a dozen or more but IIRC none flew well if at all, most crashed on launch or shortly after 😁

Me & Paul J were watching a Popsie that wouldnt fly at Old Warden, he said his own Popsie simply wouldnt fly either. I've huge respect for Vic but the Popsie wasnt his best 😁

The Poppet on the other hand is a superb flyer, FF or radio!

Edited by Phil Green

Hmm perhaps it wasn't me after all.  I think I'll spend what time I have on another project.  Thanks for the useful feedback.  Shame really, I made a reasonable job of building it.   So what should I do with it?  Literally in the bin?

I dunno Geoff, I think if I had a Popsie I'd be intrigued enough to keep trying.  Maybe I'd make an 1/8 ply profile fus and a stick fus with the same rigging, see if either works.  I'm not an experienced FF trimmer but my guess is that its drag that kills it   🙂

On 19/06/2023 at 16:50, Phil Green said:

I remember the RCMF fly-in where the Popsie was the theme model.  There must have been a dozen or more but IIRC none flew well if at all, most crashed on launch or shortly after 😁

Me & Paul J were watching a Popsie that wouldnt fly at Old Warden, he said his own Popsie simply wouldnt fly either. I've huge respect for Vic but the Popsie wasnt his best 😁

The Poppet on the other hand is a superb flyer, FF or radio!

To be fair to Vic Smeed the model in question isn't a Popsie, it's a Lightwork Pops. There appears to be a number of design changes including some "beefing up", wing repositioning etc that would make a difference to how the model would need to be trimmed.