Another question (but not as big) for newbies.

kevin b

Richard is currently running a thread (the big question) regarding the building of scale models.

This query is aimed at all you newbies who are enjoying this great hobby.

The perceived problem is the lack of new model "builders", with many just buying almost ready to fly models.

It would be interesting to find out what are the issues that put fliers of building their own models from kits, or plans and not just scale models.

Is there anything those of us with building experience can do to address these issues ?

I would prefer to hear from those of you reasonably new to the hobby, or don't build (with reason) but if anybody else has something constructive to add please do so.

Advert

1 hour ago, kevin b said:

It would be interesting to find out what are the issues that put fliers of building their own models from kits, or plans and not just scale models.

My issue is simple, I don't have an area in which to build and being fairly new to the hobby investing in a workshop is not something I'm ready for yet.

I have a dinning table on which I can assemble an ARTF or small foamboard models but anything more involved isn't possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had access to tools and a workshop literally all my life and I've always made/repaired things.  One of the first things I made was a single valve radio receiver - I even wound the coils - but I had a vast supply of old radio components in my dad's workshop (it served the business where I was brought up).  I went on to play with motorcycles, built racing dinghies and pedal cycles etc so it was natural that when I started to get interested in radio control I made the stuff I needed.  In any case when I started there weren't any ARTF trainers so it was the only route.  I even made my first transmitter.  The trainer was from a kit I bought at a local model shop.  It was fairly straight forward and flew well enough for me to learn under instruction.  Mind you, I'm not very good at any of it - jack of all trades and master of none - very, very average but I've had a lot of fun 🙂

I built my workshop (or had the structure built as an extension to the house - I wired it up and finished it) just before I retired. It's small but it uses all the available space.  I've got a LOT of tools - many of them are over 100 years old.  I have on and off periods but having access to a workshop of some sort is an essential for me.

I suppose anyone that hasn't been used to making/repairing stuff will find it difficult to start so ARTF is the only way - at least at the beginning.

• Like 5

Some people have no interest in building, others have no space in which to build. Many have family commitments which prevent them from spending hours in the workshop slowly producing a model and last Sunday, when I visited my old club, I noticed that several competent builders had developed an interest in high performance electric powered competition gliders which are, by my own lights, extremely expensive ARTFs. The same is true of competition aerobatic models these days.

Me? I get more pleasure out of watching my Big Guff plod around the sky than I do out of pushing my ARTF Acro WoT through the aerobatic manouvres of which I am capable.

Aiden refers to "the pure thrill of flying a model." In my view, that thrill is much enhanced if you've created the model from some sticks and sheets but convincing non-builders to have a go is difficult.

Edited by David Davis 2
  • Like 2