Linkage Rods

Helibilly

Hi,

As all the linkage rods on my Raptor 50 are 2mm dia, I thought I would change them to Stainless. What I have found is that although the rods are 2mm, the max diameter of the thread is 2.2mm. 
How are these rods threaded to get them a larger diameter than the rod itself? All I can think of is that they are put in a threaded clamp of some sort and the thread is pressed in. That is the only way I can see a thread being created without losing metal in the process and making the thread diameter larger than the rod itself. Can anyone tell me how the thread is done on the link rods?

Advert

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

What does that mean?

It means the wire is passed between two spinning  rollers , I think they are called dies with a poistive thread on them . These then rotate at high speed an pressure and as the wire passes through the thread is formed as the diespress into the wire. No cutting as in taps or dies just pressure is used hence the metal rises up into the dies making it 5hicker that the original rod. To cut a 2mm thread conventionally with a die you will need to start off with approx 2.5mm rod.

Thanks for all the replies. I should have realised they were rolled. I knew there was a method of creating a thread without losing metal. With my advancing years my memory isn’t what it was. 
I think it will be easier to get some new set of pv0044 link rods. 
The problem I have is finding somewhere that sells them, they all seem to be out of stock.

Thanks Bill W.