Kit Plan Drawings ..... to cut .... or not to cut

toto

So .... when you build a model from a kit ..... with plans ..... you'll notice that the plans are a bit unwieldy to handle.

Do you ....... cut the various elements .... each wing , fuselage plan and sections separately and fix to your board as required, or , just leave the drawing over hanging your board at the risk of getting battered and ripped ?

I don't have any spare copies and don't have a copy shop anywhere near without going into the centre of the city .... which I'd rather avoid.

The alternative would be to try and order another set from SLEC.

Toto

In recent builds I've tended to work with a couple of copies - one on the wall  for reference and the other for building over either  in one piece on the board, with the overlap hanging over the edge, provided it's not excessive,  or cut into separate sections for the wing and fuselage at least. I think I prefer the latter, on balance.

I've just phoned SLEC to see how much they charge for additional copies. The very nice lady I spoke with is coming back to me after someone returns from their lunch break. She intimated that it was a bout £3.00 per metre which doesn't sound too bad.

If I can get the spare copies, I'd be a bit more comfortable hacking up the originals as working copies. 

I bought the Sky 40 and the Sky 120 so I'll maybe just take a copy of both. Let's wait and see what the final price works out at ... the Sky 120 can maybe wait for now.

Cheers

Toto

Just received a call back from SLEC £ 9.00 for the Sky40 and £ 13.00 for the Sky 120. Plus postage £ 4.95 1st class delivery. 

Very reasonably priced considering Sarik would be charging £26.00 from memory.

A set of both  ordered up.

Toto

• Like 1

That's one reason I like pdf drawings - I can have the whole drawing displayed on my PC and suitable copies for cutting out etc.  If I have an unwieldy drawing I bite the bullet and cut it up but make sure I copy any notes that get separated from the relevant diagram into where they're needed. I always keep drawings after the build is finished 'just in case' 🙂

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

That was one thing that concerned me a little ..... notes being seperated from their respective illustration but I'll watch for that and reproduce the note for sticking somewhere local and suitable. Hopefully it will be only on the odd occasion.

Cheers

Toto

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a clever trick on youtube for this..

Use paper and then carbon paper under your plan (you know the blue stuff) and then draw over the part on the plan you want - the carbon will create a copy of the part you've just drawn on the plan. Remember to use something pointy but not sharp and not a pen - maybe a stylus or even a ballpoint that's run out of ink (but not been dropped damaging the ball). You'll then find a carbon copy of the part from the plan on the paper underneath the plan.

This is the video: 

This guy uses plastic milk bottles to trave plan parts: 

Edited by FiddleSticks