Corona Servos

Nigel Heather

I was building my 3.75 Asw 19, two in the tail and two in the wings for the ailerons, for some raison one by one just stopped working while I was installing them all on 5 elements of Nihm ( 6v ) batteries, I still have one left that I was going to use as a throttle servo but not reliable enough.

Maybe mine was a rubbish lot as I have seen others using them usefully, 2 of my 929mg servos in my Tiger Moth as aileron servos buzz around the neutral now and again, they are going to get changed shortly.

Advert

12 hours ago, Trevor said:

Given that I have had 100% reliability with these servos, generally operating off 5v BEC supplies, it would seem that maybe 5cell NiMh (which, fully charged, could be around 7v) is too much?

Trevor

No, I use an old pack that I wouldn't use in a plane, so only 6v.

Not forgetting the voltage drop from the cables all the way down the fuselage to the tail and the wings to the ailerons.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
voltage drop

6 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No, I use an old pack that I wouldn't use in a plane, so only 6v.

Not forgetting the voltage drop from the cables all the way down the fuselage to the tail and the wings to the ailerons.

Corona DS929MG spec says 4.8v to 6v. Personally I wouldn’t run them on a five cell NiMh pack, even if it is old and down on capacity. Off the charger the voltage may still be in excess of 7v. They are not HV servos.

Dont forget the FAKES out there .  Corona servos have been good  for many and one or two havd said they are rubbish . Could they , the rubbish ones be fakes ? You could argue " why fake a cheap Corona servo " but fake Tower Pro servos , already a budget servo are being counterfieted ! Where did you buy them. The  Fake/counterfiet cases also tend to be made from very cheap brittle plastics as are the fake  Futaba servos still being sold on a well known auction site. Buy from a good source and you should get the real thing . 

Counterfiet servos can be spotted by various means. Poor quality moulding of cases using cheap brittle plastic that has a shiny finish unlike the original sort of matt finish, noisy and inacurate operation with very poor centering,labels stuck on out of alignment with the recess in the case . Internally there is a world of difference with fakes using the biggest cheap motor that will fit into the case with a tiny control board just pushed in often accompanied by electrical swarf / debris from manufacture. Lastly and most obvious to most of us is the price ! Five servos for£12-50 to£15 posted ? If it looks too good to be true it usually is. Beware. 

On 11/10/2023 at 10:11, Nigel Heather said:

Apologies I have asked this question before but buried in another thread and not very directly.

Are Corona servos any good?

They have been suggested by a kit manufacturer but before that I'd never heard of them - I now understand that they are predominantly a HobbyKing brand.

Anyone with any experience of them.  In particular do they centre well, what is the accuracy like, durability (do the metal gears wear well). 

Compared with the likes of Hitec and Savox they are significantly cheaper and, on paper. better specified.

But are they great, okay or best avoided?

The ones I would be considering are the 22g Mini DS-238MG and the 32g Mini-Standard DS-339MG

Many thanks,

Nigel