Gyros in fixed wing?

FiddleSticks

50 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Cuban8, yes a gyro certainly can help with a squirrelly machine on the ground or in the air, but it does not mitigate setting the machine up properly in the first place.

I was given a very squirrelly Cub to fly, it was a real fight on the ground every single time. Discovered the UC had been fitted the wrong way round giving toe out on the wheels rather than a bit of toe in. Switching it around transformed the plane, still have to be careful but immeasurably improved.

Yes, absolutely correct. Not looking to correct a fault with the aeroplane, but just wondering if a little reduction of workload on the rudder at the initial run might be worthwhile. No substitute for correct technique and that's how I've managed up to now but if there is even a small advantage to be had it's worth investigating. Mk 1 Spit has a very small tail area and gave/gives problems on original and current flying examples - not a show stopper in the model or full size Arenas

Edited by Cuban8

A three axis Corona gyro rx came my way a while back. I had sent for a standard rx.

Just to see I put it in my fix up WOT 4. Switchable in and out the first try was interesting, to much gain specially on the ailerons, model went twitching/flapping along the strip.

Now tuned down it does calm things in gusts but for an experienced flyer in a good flying model like the WOT4 I do not see the point.

3 hours ago, ron evans said:

Only tried a giro once, in my slope delta. This model is about 40 yrs old and had a servo change about 2000 when I noticed the futaba servos were slowing down a bit.

A clubmate gave me an orange giro rx, so I thought I'd try it out to see if it would calm the yaw roll couple which all swept wing/ deltas seem to have at high AOA.

Well the the giro didn't help much but I had a bit of fun with roll set on high gain which produced a multi point roll with full deflection.

After a couple of hours flight time I put the original rx back in. On my next trip to the slope the model was in the air for a couple of minutes when I lost pitch control, and the model went in.

Never had a futaba servo fail before, and I'm wondering now if the extra work the servo has to do ( like a fiddlers elbow ) might have  led to the failure of this well used servo.

Probably not an issue with new servos, but something to consider if your servos are getting on a bit.

A gyro is never going to correct an aerodynamic flaw, the model has to fly correctly before connecting a gyro. A rate gyro will only dampen out unwanted movement like that would be caused by for instance turbulence.

Let's get some things straight regarding gyros.

A gyro will not fight the pilot unless it is incorrectly setup (usually too much gain).

A gyro will smooth out the effects of wind gusts and will make the model look a lot better, especially warbirds.

A gyro can respond quicker than any human, no matter how good they think they are.

A gyro can extend the amount of flight time you can get as you can fly better in windier conditions.

A gyro can correct aerodynamic flaws eg rearward C of G (without having to add nose weight. (I know cos I've done it).

Gyros are used by the vast majority of large turbine pilots, why if they are so bad?

A gyro (on the rudder) can be that extra safety factor when flying twins, just in case on engine fails (I know it cos I've been there).

A gyro can assist in crosswind takeoffs and landing when the wind is gusting. Ditto above, they respond quicker than a human can.

I'm against them being used as a specific training aid but once the basics of flying have been learnt then why not?

Do I fly with gyros? Despite trying them, very few of my models have them (none of my large warbirds do apart from twins) but yes on small warbirds and they assist in making the flights smooth giving an appearance of larger models and my FMS Viper has one fitted. But I do have about 10 models with flight controllers but that's a different topic.

• Like 8

If you desigh and build your own plane a gyro can significantly reduce the stress of the maiden.

One further point most gyro can be switched off in flight so you can determine what the actual charactersitics of the plane are but secure in the knowledge that the gryo can be reactivated if it proves too much to safely land.

Much joy when you have 'fettled' the plane so in calmish conditions you can't tell the difference between the gyro on or off. At that point I reserve the gryo for the next build.    

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Outrunner said:

A gyro is never going to correct an aerodynamic flaw, the model has to fly correctly before connecting a gyro. A rate gyro will only dampen out unwanted movement like that would be caused by for instance turbulence.

Hi Outrunner. I think a giro will try to correct an uncommanded roll, whether induced by turbulence or yaw.

In the short time the giro was in the delta it did feel the model was less inclined to enter the yaw / roll wobble, but would not stop it once established.

The Y/R only occurres at high AOA, and is easily stopped  by a short blip of opposite roll at the right moment.

13 hours ago, Outrunner said:

On full size aircraft a gyro driven yaw damper is often used to correct an aerodynamic flaw (well perhaps 'inherent characteristic' would be better than 'flaw') leading to Dutch Roll.  If you have ever flown in a SA Jetstream when the yaw damper is turned off you will find how effective it has been! 

Edited by John Lee

Perhaps I should also add that I set my gyro in "rate" mode rather than "heading" mode.

"Heading" mode does interfere to a degree as it will try to return the plane to the attitude it was in before the disturbance. User control inputs over a certain level will override the gyro

In "Rate" mode the gyro will try to counter the movement of the disturbance but will not restore the plane to its original attitude. In other words it makes the plane react more slowly to any change. As before user input above a certain level overides the gyro so aerobatics are still possible .

With a 3 poisition Tx switch it is possible to select either heading, rate or off in flight.    

Edited by Simon Chaddock