Shaping a leading edge

Is this a shaped leading edge or a square/rectangular section length of balsa?

I start off with a Davy plane, to get most of the rough shape correct, just being careful not to catch the ribs. Then move on to a Permagrit block, alternating with the Permagrit curved interior sanding tool and finishing off with 300 grit wet and dry on a cork sanding block. At that stage each rib gets a light touch with the sandpaper to make sure it doesn't present a step where it meets the leading edge. It's really just a case of being careful and not catching a rib when sanding across them.

I think it was Danny Fenton who suggested an excellent method.  Make a short length of balsa (say 6") that is a bit like a wee rain gutter, but with the inside shaped to match the required LE. Now glue in a bit of fine sandpaper, and you have a perfect tool for the job

ernie

Thank you all. LC, it's  square balsa. I have planed it and I am now block sanding it. Even though I try to be careful the sander occasionally takes a bit of the ribs. I'll try the sticky tape tip. May help.

Also it's becoming a bit "wavy". Don't know why. Maybe I didn't have it secure enough with pins when I glued the ribs to the bottom balsa sheet when forming the  "D" section.

Anyway. Just persevere I guess.