Advice for returning flyer

SyncR

16 hours ago, SyncR said:

Sorry for possible dumb question but does this still apply to modern OS engines like the AX2? Or have they fixed the liner?

The AX was improved but not immune, no data on the AX2 so cannot comment. 

Also to be clear, the plating problems afflicting the FX/LA series normally appeared after several years of service. Its not like it gave up the ghost after a few weeks. The reason it was notable was because they failed before other similar (cheaper) engines and failed more often. 

• Thanks 1

Jon's advice about skipping the high wing trainer style of model is sound. Even if it's a while since you were flying, then a sports type low winger with either a parallel chord wing or moderate taper type will be fine. Set up correctly they will pose no difficulty for you. Obviously avoid notions of warbirds and slippery aerobatic types at this stage - but the difficulty of flying low wing models or making the transition to that type is often very overstated.

Although a confirmed IC lover (and electric user) myself - I'd suggest that you seriously consider the electric option at this stage particularly if you haven't had much IC experience in the past.

Electric is not totally hassle free, but the chances of getting reliable flights will be far greater for you at this stage while you get back into things. Also finding a good club that suits you will be so much of an advantage as well.

Anyway, good luck, don't try to take on or do too much at once (as I believe one particular learner who posts on here has fallen into the trap of doing) - learn from other folk's mistakes and enjoy the hobby.

Edited by Cuban8

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Jon's advice about skipping the high wing trainer style of model is sound. Even if it's a while since you were flying, then a sports type low winger with either a parallel chord wing or moderate taper type will be fine. Set up correctly they will pose no difficulty for you. Obviously avoid notions of warbirds and slippery aerobatic types at this stage - but the difficulty of flying low wing models or making the transition to that type is often very overstated.

Although a confirmed IC lover (and electric user) myself - I'd suggest that you seriously consider the electric option at this stage particularly if you haven't had much IC experience in the past.

Electric is not totally hassle free, but the chances of getting reliable flights will be far greater for you at this stage while you get back into things. Also finding a good club that suits you will be so much of an advantage as well.

Anyway, good luck, don't try to take on or do too much at once (as I believe one particular learner who posts on here has fallen into the trap of doing) - learn from other folk's mistakes and enjoy the hobby.

Thank you mate, admittedly I did like look of the Seagull challenger, spacewalker (63") and the acro wot, so I've got plenty of models too research and decide on

As for IC I do have plenty of experience with nitro engines in cars but not sure how that translates over to plane engines, I like the idea of going IC but not 100% dead set on it.

Also want to thank everyone that's helped with advice so far, you guys have been extremely friendly and helpful

Edited by SyncR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SyncR said:

Thank you mate, admittedly I did like look of the Seagull challenger, spacewalker (63") and the acro wot, so I've got plenty of models too research and decide on

As for IC I do have plenty of experience with nitro engines in cars but not sure how that translates over to plane engines, I like the idea of going IC but not 100% dead set on it.

Also want to thank everyone that's helped with advice so far, you guys have been extremely friendly and helpful

To use an over-used expression, "It's not rocket science."

If you have compression.

If you have a good glow plug of the correct heat range.

If you have the right sort of fuel for the engine.

If the carburettor is not blocked

If your propeller size is within the limits set by the engine's manufacturer... then your engine should run.

7 hours ago, SyncR said:

As for IC I do have plenty of experience with nitro engines in cars but not sure how that translates over to plane engines

Much easier than a car. I have nitro buggies myself and while they are no bother to set up aircraft engines are much easier. They are typically run in a lower state of tune (carb size), have ample cooling compared to a car, do not spend their life in mud/dust, run far lower revs and need less exotic fuel. You can also tune the engine very easily by running the engine up to full power on the ground and tuning the needle. This is difficult with a car if you cant run at 40mph with a screwdriver! 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Much easier than a car. I have nitro buggies myself and while they are no bother to set up aircraft engines are much easier. They are typically run in a lower state of tune (carb size), have ample cooling compared to a car, do not spend their life in mud/dust, run far lower revs and need less exotic fuel. You can also tune the engine very easily by running the engine up to full power on the ground and tuning the needle. This is difficult with a car if you cant run at 40mph with a screwdriver! 

Hahha very true, to be honest nowadays all my cars except a couple 1/5th 2 strokes are all electric, just much more explosive power and they remind me of quadcopters in that way

yea the instant torque of electric really would make a car get up and go. I like the zingy two strokes though, its like a poor mans F1 event when a few are going round together. For a year or so a group of us at my old club had 1/8 buggies and we would charge around between flying. They were popular at club BBQ events etc due to the carnage that ensued. Alas it faded as lack of maintenance killed off the cars one by one. That club then lost its field and i no longer fly with them. I still have my car though, but its not run in ages and the half rebuilt engine has been sat in my 'to do' tray in the shed for about 4 years. 

22 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

To use an over-used expression, "It's not rocket science."

If you have compression.

If you have a good glow plug of the correct heat range.

If you have the right sort of fuel for the engine.

If the carburettor is not blocked

If your propeller size is within the limits set by the engine's manufacturer... then your engine should run.

Yes, all very true.......but it tends to be keeping them running where most of the problems and hassle can manifest themselves. 

Having said that I notice that it's usually the same members, week in and week out, who suffer a disproportionate number of engine issues and dead sticks. Changing fuel, experimenting with glow plugs throughout the flying season and generally getting into lengthy 'needle twiddling' sessions before every flying session. 

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

lengthy 'needle twiddling'

In my experience this practice originates from not really knowing what you are doing, why you are doing it, or what it is you are trying to achieve by doing it. Unfortunately engine tuning is not taught well at all so its no wonder people struggle. Looking on a engine group forum thingo the other day made me want to put my fist through my pc screen. The advice being given was just flat out wrong and was only going to lead to problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Yes, all very true.......but it tends to be keeping them running where most of the problems and hassle can manifest themselves. 

Having said that I notice that it's usually the same members, week in and week out, who suffer a disproportionate number of engine issues and dead sticks. Changing fuel, experimenting with glow plugs throughout the flying season and generally getting into lengthy 'needle twiddling' sessions before every flying session. 

Ive seen plenty of needle twiddling over the years ,,, generally it was because at the end of every flying session they would drain the tank then close the main needles, then next flying session there they are spending half the flying session mucking about needle twiddling,,, Me ,,,, I've never been a needle twiddler.... once my engines are tuned and set ,, thats it i left them alone to then get asked most weeks how is it i can turn up every week , get a model out , fill the tank, start it up and away I go,, and never have to spent half a dozen flights twiddling and adjusting the engine,, To which I simply say ,, " because 1, i dont close the needle when im finished flying, drain the tank and clean my models down at the end of the day......  & 2,  I dont spend half the week between flying sessions fiddling about with things when theres no need to ,, I simply put them away when I get home and I leave them alone and I dont touch them again until the next time I get them out ready for another flying day....

That then completely baffles them.... it baffled them even further how I dont get a model on the bench and tinker and fiddle with it just for the sake of it just because I'm bored .. those that denied being twiddly fiddlers I decided to test one week... I tuned their engine then at the end of the day tell them to leave the needles at they are set and when they get home put it away and leave it alone then the next week charge it up and come flying and their engine wont need any type of needle twiddling... And guess what .... They did,, and sure enough,, you hear an engine start and there they are tuning their engines in and spend half the day mucking about  with the engine and when they ask whats wrong I wud simply reply " Because you can't leave things alone and as soon as you're home and the models on the bench you get fidding for absolutely no reason what so ever..... lol

40 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

In my experience this practice originates from not really knowing what you are doing, why you are doing it, or what it is you are trying to achieve by doing it. Unfortunately engine tuning is not taught well at all so its no wonder people struggle. Looking on a engine group forum thingo the other day made me want to put my fist through my pc screen. The advice being given was just flat out wrong and was only going to lead to problems. 

Oh Ive seen this many times even with experienced fliers 

Edited by GaryWebb
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

This is difficult with a car if you cant run at 40mph with a screwdriver! 

Either it's too rich, wrong fuel, servo set up or you aren't running fast enough, it should go faster, I installed a rolling road with steel conveyer rollers and ventilates,

in my model shop, not perfect but saved me a run around the town after a toy rc car.😂

8 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

I simply put them away when I get home and I leave them alone and I dont touch them again until the next time I get them out ready for another flying day....

Same here,,,

9 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

Ive seen plenty of needle twiddling over the years

I gave my Rcgf 15cc away to one of our twiddling club members as most of the time that's all he did, other than dead stick landings or crashes, 'but' I

did take a photo on my phone of the two screws before hand and surprise, surprise, there he was fiddling with it on the model field last week, a good job that I kept the photo on my phone, he did actually get a flight that day.

So while browsing the stuff I'll need to buy I came across 2 more planes that interest me, the Seagull Ugly Stick and the OMPHobby Challenger, now the ugly stick is good bit more expensive then what I originally was intending to spend so I'll probably keep that one in mind for next summer however the OMP looks to fit the bill from what I can see so far, looking on YouTube it also seems good fun however has anybody here had any experience with the plane? I have there 380 sized Heli and it's a solid bit of kit so I have no real worries on quality more so flight characteristics I guess

2 minutes ago, SyncR said:

So while browsing the stuff I'll need to buy I came across 2 more planes that interest me, the Seagull Ugly Stick and the OMPHobby Challenger, now the ugly stick is good bit more expensive then what I originally was intending to spend so I'll probably keep that one in mind for next summer however the OMP looks to fit the bill from what I can see so far, looking on YouTube it also seems good fun however has anybody here had any experience with the plane? I have there 380 sized Heli and it's a solid bit of kit so I have no real worries on quality more so flight characteristics I guess

Both the Ugly Stick & Challenger are greet fun planes to fly and will suit you well

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SyncR said:

So while browsing the stuff I'll need to buy I came across 2 more planes that interest me, the Seagull Ugly Stick and the OMPHobby Challenger, now the ugly stick is good bit more expensive then what I originally was intending to spend so I'll probably keep that one in mind for next summer however the OMP looks to fit the bill from what I can see so far, looking on YouTube it also seems good fun however has anybody here had any experience with the plane?

Depends on which Challenger you're referring too, the 49 or the 59.

I've got an OMP Challenger 49 and it's a very light build and feels fragile. For example the rear of the fuselage has a lot of the structure removed which I forget about when picking it up and I'm sure one day I'm going to put a finger through it.

It's fantastic fun to fly and well overpowered with the good quality supplied PNP hardware. The little wheels are rubbish on anything longer than bowling green grass, I fly mine at a tarmac site now.

Regarding the OMPs build and fitting quality, it's streets ahead of the Boomerang.

Edited by PDB

4 minutes ago, PDB said:

Depends on which Challenger you're referring too, the 49 or the 59.

I've got an OMP Challenger 49 and it's a very light build and feels fragile. For example the rear of the fuselage has a lot of the structure removed which I forget about when picking it up and I'm sure one day I'm going to put a finger through it.

It's fantastic fun to fly and well overpowered with the good quality supplied PNP hardware. The little wheels are rubbish on anything longer than bowling green grass, I fly mine at a tarmac site now.

Regarding the OMPs build and fitting quality, it's streets ahead of the Boomerang.

It was the 49", looking at price online of 59" I'd probably just go with a bigger petrol powered ugly stick from another company, I'm leaning towards Wot4 at moment with a .46-55 motor (more likely .46), it's just I dunno why but I kinda like look of boomerang and lot of people say it flies really well in wind but Wot4 be more fun outta 2, I'm trying not to rush the decision cause I have tendency to do that and then regret or hum and haw over if I made right call

I'd suggest joining a club and spend a few sessions there, then make your purchasing decisions.

I purchased the Boomerang because 4 other club members regularly flew them, purchased the OS engine on numerous recommendations from club members and started on Spektrum kit because lots of club members were using it.

This helped get support when I had queries regarding assembling the Boomerang, someone could show me how to safely operate and run in the engine and I got loads of assistance configuring and programming the Spektrum radio.

This greatly reduced the amount of faffing around and I could get on with flying.

Edited by PDB
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, PDB said:

I'd suggest joining a club and spend a few sessions there, then make your purchasing decisions.

I purchased the Boomerang because 4 other club members regularly flew them, purchased the OS engine on numerous recommendations from club members and started on Spektrum kit because lots of club members were using it.

This helped get support when I had queries regarding assembling the Boomerang, someone could show me how to safely operate and run in the engine and I got loads of assistance configuring and programming the Spektrum radio.

This greatly reduced the amount of faffing around and I could get on with flying.

Aye I've sent a email over to my nearest club since was only contact I could see on there page, if I don't hear back I'll pop down one Sunday after new year, thankfully radio gear I'm already set with since I have my trusty Frsky X18

9 hours ago, GaryWebb said:

then close the main needles,

whyyyyyy? why would you do that? oh...i wonder if their fuel tank was incorrectly aligned and fuel would leak/flood the engine and fixing the actual problem was not considered. 

i am an advocate for tuning your main needle at the start of every flying day. Its a 5 second job to open it a smidge to get a rich condition, then lean to peak, past peak, back to peak. Literally, all done in 5 seconds. Then you know its set 100% and you are good to go. slow run needles only need to be adjusted when the engine is first installed in the model, and maybe after a few years as the needle can creep over time. 

Anyway, if you think closing your needles after every session is bad, i heard from the boss that back in the 90's there was a troublesome customer who would check and reset his valve clearances after every flight 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1