My Warbirds Replicas FW190 build.

Eric Robson

After sanding the fuselage top I cut the canopy and found the sides of the fuselage did not come high enough, no great problem to add some balsa from the offcut. Another point when assembling F2 onto the sides and crutch make sure it is vertical as if not it can alter the side length when pulling the sides together at the rear.

20231216_092614.jpg

• Like 1

Not done much today on the 190, nose skid fitted and shaped and cowl wrapping support stringers fitted,  note wrapping not parallel. I had a spare Overlander 3548/05 900kv which adequately powered a heavier model, to get the prop in the right place I packed the motor mount 1/2" back from F1. 20231216_165324.thumb.jpg.f98ddc97fb801ed95fb8b47e8dc8f9ba.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Ron, I need to get some different coloured glass head pins  to avoid confusion

That would be a great help Eric because I'm easily confused but if you could avoid Green, Blue, Red and Yellow please as I already have those for Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and I use sticky tape on the between days, unless I'm flying, then I don't bother.

Not mentioned in the instructions, what instructions?  Where the upper fuselage side splays out at the front it leaves a gap and it felt a bit weak so I cut two pieces from the fuselage side offcut and glued them in for support. 

Using a David plane and a permagrit sanding block I managed to keep my fingers intact doing the wing tips.

20231218_195403.jpg

20231218_200039.jpg

• Like 1

Not a problem GG the wings are well cut with the dihedral angle ready set, the aileron cut out is straight forward I  used a new Stanley knife blade. There's a template in the kit so no problem. Use a 30min epoxy for gluing up, only awkward part is the servo wells, I made up the tool from 2mm piano wire with a  tailwheel collet for a depth guide. 

• Like 1

Servos installed, wiring routed in the best Oriental tradition, a slot and a strip of sellotape. The wing bandage is stuck on with pva ,less messy than epoxy and I have never had one fail. I cover it with masking tape before covering. Next job the wing fillets. For the new builders this is best done with the wing attached, protect the wing with plastic film to stop it being a one piece model.

20231220_105000.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wing fillets,  the triangle section in my kit was quite hard and after putting a lot of saw cuts at the front it was reluctant to form , cutting a long piece from the rear to the top the curve,this formed OK I then cut short pieces and glued them to the fuselage, when set I sanded and filled the with wood filler. Then a final sanding to shape, to get the concave shape I  used a felt tip pen with 120 grit wrapped around.  BE careful when sanding,  if you are unsure mask the fuselage at the top of the fillets because it is easy to put a groove in the fuselage side.

Stage one 2 and 3. Despite loading them in order they have appeared 23120231220_142630.thumb.jpg.f966d03e0b01d51b21680978eba6aad2.jpg20231220_142523.thumb.jpg.bf1124ba31ee0396068d42dc3adc8901.jpg20231220_121954.thumb.jpg.5d35a9d2a535e2dd75ef6449da020033.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 5