My Warbirds Replicas FW190 build.

Eric Robson

Great Job Eric . 

I believe the 190 was referred to as the "Butcher Bird" . (later known as the "Pat Butcher Bird") 

But surely yours would be referred to as a straightforward "Dolly Bird" ? 

Im sorry to bring this up and as not to cause confusion, perhaps we should henceforth refer to her as a DB190 ?

I also noticed that once the bird had flown the Dolly nipped smartly into the bushes. 

I expect there's a story behind that .

Don ! She was wearing curlers ! That explains it , caught awkward you might say . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 03/01/2024 at 19:52, Don Fry said:

Eric, what is the pink stuff on the dolly, seems some sort of padding?

Also some basic dimensions of the frame?

Hi Don,

The frame is two 570mm x 32 x12 lengths of pine , 2 100mm wheels and 1 50mm wheel. Just an old pair of undercarriage legs I has in the spares box, the pink is hair curlers with a soft wire centre to prevent the wing getting damaged by the undercarriage wire protruding. 20240103_200414.thumb.jpg.7abc3f3f4f09d0ad292267f98a516c03.jpg

20240103_200451.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Don,

The frame is two 570mm x 32 x12 lengths of pine , 2 100mm wheels and 1 50mm wheel. Just an old pair of undercarriage legs I has in the spares box, the pink is hair curlers with a soft wire centre to prevent the wing getting damaged by the undercarriage wire protruding. 

Thanks for that. Should we budget for the price of a new hair-do when totting it up ?-)

• Haha 1

Ive been talking to Eric about this and am very pleased with how well his one works . 

It certainly works nicely . You could do a lot worse than simply copy it . 

To help out , I will do a slight variation and a drawing for people to down load . The problem at the moment is that our runway is way too wet to test on . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2024 at 19:52, Eric Robson said:

Hi Don,

The frame is two 570mm x 32 x12 lengths of pine , 2 100mm wheels and 1 50mm wheel. Just an old pair of undercarriage legs I has in the spares box, the pink is hair curlers with a soft wire centre to prevent the wing getting damaged by the undercarriage wire protruding. 20240103_200414.thumb.jpg.7abc3f3f4f09d0ad292267f98a516c03.jpg

20240103_200451.jpg

Hi Eric,

I see you have moved on to flying your Corsair ! and what looked like a modified dolly and just had a couple of questions as I procrastinate with my build by finishing off my dolly. John, one of the other two builders on my thread really wants to launch via the dolly so I am just making sure I understand your design.

• Not sure what the hair rollers are doing on the crossmember as my FW sits on the center of the wing against the wood crossmember, so I have moved them inwards and put some hard foam blocks further out to support the wing tips
  • The two uprights that sit against the LE, is there a reason as to why they are not further apart?
  • Would the FW benefit form the Corsair dolly mod?

Thanks for your time

PS what size prop and motor are you running?

Hi Chris,  

It is the same dolly with outriggers to support the Corsair wing at the bend. In its modified form the FW190 still flys off it without any adjustments,  I had a good days flying on Friday with both models. The wing on mine fits right up to the uprights , the reason they are in that  position is to hold the fuselage central, they are just friction held on with a screw and will give in order to lessen damage if it went to one side. 

The hair curlers as I said before were to stop the protruding undercarriage wire damaging the wing, I did glue foam pads on but the elapore foam did not stick very well, the curlers however have remained on for over 40 take offs. 

I am using a Racestar 4250 800kv motor with a 12x6 Apc electric prop a 4s 3600 battery and no ballast 

The mod. for the Corsair is of no benefit to the FW190, I  added the extra support in a way that it  could be removed if necessary if the FW190 would not take off from it. 

• Like 2

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the motor info and dolly rational, I think I'll add a couple of foam wedges to prevent the fuselage moving as I have put the LE restraints further out.

Looking at the video, do you purposely hold it down on the dolly until its picked up a bit of ground speed and then ease it off or just let it naturally lift off the dolly?

Hi Chris, 

The FW190 will roll along as long as I don't give up elevator,  when it reaches the end of the strip I give a touch of up and it lifts off the dolly then rolls off the strip leaving it clear for landing. I do this when I fly alone.

The Corsair is lifting off the dolly in a few feet on it's own even on low throttle, I need more practice on take off it is well overpowered.