My Warbirds Replicas FW190 build.

Eric Robson

Thanks Gordon, I used masking paper which is used in the motor trade, I bought a roll from Toolstation but they no longer stock it. It is almost finished so I will have to try elsewhere, Richard uses Tesco brown paper but I did not like it the time I tried it,  it may have been the adhesive. This time I have used Gorilla white glue and it has went on fine. 

Offering the wing up to the fuselage there is a step, I cut 2 wedges from offcuts from the kit and glued them on the underside of the wing in line with the fuselage, I the used the rear underside sheet and grooved it to sit on the centre of the wing the front curved part if grain front to rear to form over the wing centre 

20231222_095830.jpg

20231222_103526.jpg

20231222_120808.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Eric. I have a roll of brown  paper for masking so I will give that a try. I have not used brown paper before so this will be a first. I hope you don’t mind me asking but do you thin the PVA and brush it onto the structure then lay the paper on top?

Started the fuselage first yesterday. With Christmas coming now, I wont be making much progress for a few days.

Merry Christmas 🎄🎅 

Hi Gordon I cut the shape out slightly oversize and lay it on a sheet of plastic, I thin the pva about 15% water then brush it onto the brown paper similar to paper hanging. Brown paper has a smooth surface and a mat, glue goes on the mat, this is not so noticeable on thin masking paper but is normally the inside of the roll. Carefully place in position and smooth down avoiding wrinkles, when in place iron on with the iron set between med. And high.

Some mild weather today took me to the shed where I primered the plastic parts. Sorry for misleading fellow builders but the fuselage fairing in the centre of the wing should splay out not in and follow the taper line of the fuselage. 

There's 2 desert camouflage schemes I'm pondering on, one is overall sand and the other is sand and green 

11 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Careful on your choice of brown based on the level of the discussion we have sunk to, I don`t believe they would be too amused at B&Q if you took a sample of your doo doo`s in to get them to scan it for a colour match 🙄

Yeah that would cause a bit of a stink.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

It doesnt have to be actual colours . As long as it looks possible , its fine . 

For high viz , "borrow " some white wing tips form the 109 schemes . Who could guarantee a 190 wasnt painted the same ?

This is my LA-7, not based on any colour scheme

image.jpeg.f271939fbd8c2d8239fbdc95176f15c2.jpeg

• Like 3