New flier

I’ve just started off in flying rc aircraft and after taking advice from a couple of more experience fliers, I have bought my first trainer plane (Arrows Bigfoot). I haven’t tried to fly it yet but I am wondering if I should start off with something smaller and lighter. Any advice Would be welcome!!

Hi Andrew, And welcome. Can't comment on the Bigfoot as not come across one.

For a new flyer I say get some assistance to learn to fly, join a club or find someone to assist and give guidance.

Speaking as a self taught RC flyer some 45 years ago its a hard road that takes determination even having had previous experience of free flight and control line models. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Graham.

1. Find your nearest club to get face-to-face advice

2. If you haven't already done so, head over to the BMFA web site, look around, and pay particular attention to the regulations for flying model aircraft.

Are you planning on joining a club, and being taught how to fly (recommended), or trying to 'go it alone'?

Welcome to the forum Graham.

The Bigfoot is a fine little model that works well as a trainer and is capable of basic aerobatics with increased control surface movements. They are a popular model in my local club.

I can only echo the previous recommendations to search out and join a local model club.

6 hours ago, Graham Andrews said:

I’ve just started off in flying rc aircraft and after taking advice from a couple of more experience fliers, I have bought my first trainer plane (Arrows Bigfoot). I haven’t tried to fly it yet but I am wondering if I should start off with something smaller and lighter. Any advice Would be welcome!!

Smaller and lighter doesn't actually automatically mean easer to learn on and fly. Don't know the Bigfoot, but it looks to be a reasonable modern trainer and quite a good  size for training at 1300mm wingspan. Very small stuff can be overly challenging to fly as a beginner - hard to see - can be twitchy - and difficult to keep up with especially in less than perfect weather.

Your experienced flyer friends have given you good advice with the bigfoot, use their expertise to get you flying as well. Going it alone and giving it a go even with electronic stabilisation gizmos and panic recovery buttons etc isn't the very best way IMHO - still far too much risk of a wreck or even losing the model - maybe even winding up finding yourself in bother if the model winds up somewhere it shoudn't or worse.

Good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Hi Andrew, And welcome. Can't comment on the Bigfoot as not come across one.

For a new flyer I say get some assistance to learn to fly, join a club or find someone to assist and give guidance.

Speaking as a self taught RC flyer some 45 years ago its a hard road that takes determination even having had previous experience of free flight and control line models. 

In my case it was the only choice living in a very rural spot and the only club in the county at the time had only just formed many miles away. I did join said club years later [still am a member of Haverfordwest model club]