Broken ASP 4 stroke cylinder head wanted

Jon H

Does anyone have a busted ASP 70, 80 or 90 4 stroke cylinder head kicking around? If the exhaust port is ruined or something like that i would be interested in it for a little experiment. I dont want to mangle a good head if my experiment fails so if there is a busted one kicking around that isnt needed please let me know

Ah yes well its a complicated attempt to save my SCASP 400 radial. One of its main issues is the valves. Some clown decided it would be fun to use valves made from cheese. And not a nice hard cheddar either, more of a baked camembert. In any case, the valves wear at an alarming rate and loose their seal after about 2 hours of running. I am bored of fixing them, so i thought 'would laser valves fit?' They do, the heads are not a bad size and they seal well, but the stems are too short for the existing valve guide and spring setup. So, what if i ream the heads and fit Laser valve guides, valves, springs etc...would it work? can i achieve the required accuracy?

This is why i plan to experiment with a busted head before i mangle the ones on the engine. 

If i can fit the new valves, do i then need to make new rockers or can i shorten the rocker shaft mount post in the head? I also need to fix the rear crank bearing mounting plate as the bearing just falls out. I need to fix the front housing as the front bearing also just falls out, and....i forget, there is something else i need to do but cant remember what it is. 

Either way, there is much to do. 

EDIT. Wait, i remember. Make new piston rings and/or, see if i can make new liners and fit current Laser pistons and rings to increase capacity and performance. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 2

On 11/02/2024 at 11:40, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nice work Jon, a thread on it soon ?.

Probably not soon. I have quite alot on my plate at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

Hi Jon . Bits are on their way. Royal Mail second class Im affraid but shouldnt be too long. 

No rush, and thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 21:24, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Ah yes well its a complicated attempt to save my SCASP 400 radial. One of its main issues is the valves. Some clown decided it would be fun to use valves made from cheese. And not a nice hard cheddar either, more of a baked camembert. In any case, the valves wear at an alarming rate and loose their seal after about 2 hours of running. I am bored of fixing them, so i thought 'would laser valves fit?' They do, the heads are not a bad size and they seal well, but the stems are too short for the existing valve guide and spring setup. So, what if i ream the heads and fit Laser valve guides, valves, springs etc...would it work? can i achieve the required accuracy?

This is why i plan to experiment with a busted head before i mangle the ones on the engine. 

If i can fit the new valves, do i then need to make new rockers or can i shorten the rocker shaft mount post in the head? I also need to fix the rear crank bearing mounting plate as the bearing just falls out. I need to fix the front housing as the front bearing also just falls out, and....i forget, there is something else i need to do but cant remember what it is. 

Either way, there is much to do. 

EDIT. Wait, i remember. Make new piston rings and/or, see if i can make new liners and fit current Laser pistons and rings to increase capacity and performance. 

Can't help but think the right answer is "5 Laser 80 cylinders fitted to the ASP crankcase which might as well be replaced because the valve gear is different which sort of gives you a five cylinder Laser"...? 😈

Wow Jon

I have 2 ASP 70's and a 90 that are in a box with congealed castor that someone gave me to clean up. Then said to heck with them as they bought two Laser 70's over a year ago.

too bad we're on the wrong side of the pond or else I's give them to you.

regards

Mike

Thanks for the offers guys. ED's heads have landed, complete with an 8 legged friend who was determined to try and crawl all over me. 

I need to remove one head from the radial to check they are close enough in design for my experimentation and i will go from there. 

On 14/02/2024 at 15:47, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Thanks for the offers guys. ED's heads have landed, complete with an 8 legged friend who was determined to try and crawl all over me. 

I need to remove one head from the radial to check they are close enough in design for my experimentation and i will go from there. 

Ah a stow away 🙂 wel they had been in the scrap box for a few months . Check the ports for any hidden inflatable boats .🙂

• Haha 2