Slec Sky 40 and Vintage Glider

Looking for recommendations on a diesel or glow motor for the SLEC Sky 40 I am planning to build. Don't really want to spend a lot on a new motor so wouldn't mind a decent second hand unit. I don't want anything super powerful, just a motor that will suite the Sky 40 perfectly.

Also want to build a larger vintage style aircraft like the Ben Buckle super scorpion or similar. I want something old for this, diesel and not something that screams at stupid high revs. Something old school that has a vintage sound, like a classic V8 but in a RC plane, in the sky....

Any .40 to .46 glow 2 stroke would suit the Sky 40.  Any well known brand might do but I would look for an Enya 40 SS plain bearing - they don't wear out and don't have a bearing that could be rusted like a ball bearing motor.    Many people have changed to electric and have probably got loads of old 40 size glow engines lying around in their workshop.   If you join a club then you will probably find someone with an engine for sale and someone who can advise if it seems OK.

Looking on EBay suggests recent used motors are fetching higher prices than previously - I couldn't see any bargains today - presumably lack of new engines is the reason.   Easy to buy a duff engine if you don't know what to look for.

Otherwise consider attending Old Warden for the Modelair event in May and looking around the stands for secondhand models and /or engines.   Often bargains in planes with engines more than just engines.  However the 'collectors' engines stands often have cheap glow engines of the ordinary type.    Buyer beware but there is likely to be a bystander around to ask for an opinion if you ask.

Glow I know how they work and how to get them running right, what gears needed etc.

Diesel don't really need anything except fuel and some fettling don't they?

I really want to go for a vintage motor to go with the vintage glider I get - eventually 

3 hours ago, kc said:

Any .40 to .46 glow 2 stroke would suit the Sky 40.  Any well known brand might do but I would look for an Enya 40 SS plain bearing - they don't wear out and don't have a bearing that could be rusted like a ball bearing motor.    Many people have changed to electric and have probably got loads of old 40 size glow engines lying around in their workshop.   If you join a club then you will probably find someone with an engine for sale and someone who can advise if it seems OK.

Looking on EBay suggests recent used motors are fetching higher prices than previously - I couldn't see any bargains today - presumably lack of new engines is the reason.   Easy to buy a duff engine if you don't know what to look for.

Otherwise consider attending Old Warden for the Modelair event in May and looking around the stands for secondhand models and /or engines.   Often bargains in planes with engines more than just engines.  However the 'collectors' engines stands often have cheap glow engines of the ordinary type.    Buyer beware but there is likely to be a bystander around to ask for an opinion if you ask.

And I will be at Old Warden for sure 😊

I'll drop you a PM

3 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

I have a built SLEC Sky 40 airframe with the plan and build article, model wants a bit of a tidy but it is going dead cheap if you are interested in a completed one.

For a vintage model I'd recommend a Junior 60 or Super 60 over a Super Scorpion because they are easier to build but if you fancy a challenge then go for the Super Scorpion. As well as Ben Buckle, SLEC now stock the Belair range of vintage Parts and Plan Sets in which the ribs, formers and other "difficult" parts are provided but you have to buy the balsa strip and sheet. https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/detail.asp?id=1342 I have flown all three and all would fly nicely on a 25 two stroke glow or a 25-40 four stroke.

If you would prefer a diesel, PAW produce a wide range of diesel engines with a choice of plain bearings, single or twin ball bearings. PAW engines are also available with throttles and silencers which makes them more usable with r/c. Most genuine vintage engines do not have throttles and those that do, the ED Hunter for example, are very rare. A PAW 19 will fly any of the models mentioned above..

8 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

For a vintage model I'd recommend a Junior 60 or Super 60 over a Super Scorpion because they are easier to build but if you fancy a challenge then go for the Super Scorpion. As well as Ben Buckle, SLEC now stock the Belair range of vintage Parts and Plan Sets in which the ribs, formers and other "difficult" parts are provided but you have to buy the balsa strip and sheet. https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/detail.asp?id=1342 I have flown all three and all would fly nicely on a 25 two stroke glow or a 25-40 four stroke.

If you would prefer a diesel, PAW produce a wide range of diesel engines with a choice of plain bearings, single or twin ball bearings. PAW engines are also available with throttles and silencers which makes them more usable with r/c. Most genuine vintage engines do not have throttles and those that do, the ED Hunter for example, are very rare. A PAW 19 will fly any of the models mentioned above..

7 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

PS. Weston UK also make diesel engines to special order but they are quite rare so finding one for sale second hand will be difficult.  https://www.westonuk.co.uk/Ed/

Awesome info, much appreciated. I will take a look.

A 15 would probably be too small for these models. It's only 2.5cc besides this engine has no throttle or silencer.

Picture of a PAW 19 with throttle and silencer below.

Finally if you are going in for a diesel please be aware that they chuck out a great deal of unburnt oil all over your lovely model.

PS. Model diesel engines are not as difficult to operate as some people claim but you have to know what you're doing because you have two controls which can effect the running of the engine: the compression vernier and the carburetter's needle valve. When I was a youth diesel engines were commonplace but they have fallen out of favour over the last sixty years. I used to be a member of the Shropshire Model Flying Club which had just over eighty members at that time. AFAIK only three of us even owned a diesel engine. That said, one of the other two only flew diesels.

Consequently you may find it difficult to find someone to help you get your diesel running.

Just sayin'.

PPS. I turn 76 next Monday!

paw19brrc_a.jpg

Edited by David Davis

Okay so a 15 won't cut it. I'll keep looking for a 19 with the exhaust and carb included.

Getting it running and keeping it running will be fine. I'm alright with engines and mechanical stuff.

It would be great If you spot anything that might work at a decent price to let me know, it would be very much appreciated 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Hoochykins said:

Okay so a 15 won't cut it. I'll keep looking for a 19 with the exhaust and carb included.

Getting it running and keeping it running will be fine. I'm alright with engines and mechanical stuff.

It would be great If you spot anything that might work at a decent price to let me know, it would be very much appreciated 👍🏻

On reflection a 15 might fly it. The engine bearers on the rather larger Radio Queen are spaced for a 2.5cc engine but I still think that you'd be better off with a 19 on a five foot model like the ones we have mentioned. You'd have to buid it very light if you wanted to use a 15 and the engine in your picture has neither a silencer nor a throttle so not ideal. Although fitting a PAW silencer to a non-r/c PAW engine is not a problem, you cannot fit a throttle to a PAW with a vertical air intake.

Video of a PAW 19 r/c running here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQDqFHcXjw and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e_RH7i0U2o

I  would be inclined to use a four stroke glow engine on a vintage model myself.

Edited by David Davis

Yeah? I only liked the idea of an old Diesel but if it's going to cause more problems than it's worth then I will go Nitro.

I did see a O.S FS-40S for sale, in videos that sounds lovely but I guess it's got a lot more power than I need?

14 minutes ago, Hoochykins said:

Yeah? I only liked the idea of an old Diesel but if it's going to cause more problems than it's worth then I will go Nitro.

I did see a O.S FS-40S for sale, in videos that sounds lovely but I guess it's got a lot more power than I need?

I used to fly the Super Scorpion on an OS 40 FS before I sold the airframe. It's currently in my Guidato which though a similar size to a Junior 60, a Super 60 or Super Scorpion, it's much heavier than the other three and not as nice to fly.

If you want to fit an "old Diesel" please go ahead but the old diesels did not have either throttles or silencers so not really practical these days.

Steve Webb Models is advertising a brand new single ballrace PAW 19 on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185130686244?itmmeta=01HR7KB7B4J75FXQFEHKZRCRES&hash=item2b1aa61724:g:uagAAOSw3JlheTxJ

Edited by David Davis

7 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I used to fly the Super Scorpion on an OS 40 FS before I sold the airframe. It's currently in my Guidato which though a similar size to a Junior 60, a Super 60 or Super Scorpion, it's much heavier than the other three and not as nice to fly.

If you want to fit an "old Diesel" please go ahead but the old diesels did not have either throttles or silencers so not really practical these days.

Steve Webb Models is advertising a brand new single ballrace PAW 19 on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185130686244?itmmeta=01HR7KB7B4J75FXQFEHKZRCRES&hash=item2b1aa61724:g:uagAAOSw3JlheTxJ

It's nice but a bit on the pricey side for what I want. I'll keep an eye out for engine job lots or for a 19 to come along with all the gear. If something does jump out at you as a bargain I'd be well chuffed if you could let me know. Nitro or diesel.

2 hours ago, Hoochykins said:

It's nice but a bit on the pricey side for what I want. I'll keep an eye out for engine job lots or for a 19 to come along with all the gear. If something does jump out at you as a bargain I'd be well chuffed if you could let me know. Nitro or diesel.

Well it depends what you want. Two stroke glow motors are ten a penny. A decent OS 20 or 25 FP will not command much of a price on eBay, foustrokes are a little more expensive.

You may think that David but a search for OS 25FP on Ebay shows the price from £39 to £120 at this moment!

I suggest that a look at the secondhand planes WITH engines at Old Warden Modelair weekend will likely produce an engine at a bargain price.   Plus if it's in an airframe you will be able to turn the prop over to check the engine.   The plane will probably be oil soaked and may not be worth much but even so the engine with tank and even wheels can be cleaned up and used again.  

The below are listed for sale at various places, would any of these be good and are decent motors? I maybe should have kept the MDS motor out of the list:

MTN Pro 46 RC

Magnum 40 GP RC

Thunder tiger gp42
Mds 40
Os 40 fp 
Os 40 max
Sc46

SC 25

SC 25a

6 minutes ago, Hoochykins said:

The below are listed for sale at various places, would any of these be good and are decent motors? I maybe should have kept the MDS motor out of the list:

MTN Pro 46 RC

Magnum 40 GP RC

Thunder tiger gp42
Mds 40
Os 40 fp 
Os 40 max
Sc46

SC 25

SC 25a

All of these engines are too big for a Super Scorpion except the two 25s.

56 minutes ago, Hoochykins said:

I did cut out some of the obvious bigger ones. What kind of price would you be expecting a used SC 25? Running of course.

Dunno but if it's any help I've just bought a brand new ASP 61A for 60€ including postage, say £50.