Will it fly ?

Hi all. Years ago a I demolished the fus of a 40size bi plane. Wings survived. I have just discovered the fus of a very similar sized bi plane in loft and the old wings are a perfect fit.

Thinking oh changing model to elect, but wondered if it will fly after all the work.

If it does fly I can assume the characteristics would be different, but hoping I can cope with it.  Thanks

Why would changing the power source affect the ability to fly?  As long as it turns the same size prop at approximately the same speed, it'll fly.  The only real issue is getting the CoG correct as the electrical power system will probably be lighter than a liquid fuelled version - as wasn't formerly the case in the days of brushed motors and Ni Cad batteries.

I have a couple of 58" DBS&S Moths, a Tiger and a Gipsy, which both fly fine with electric power sources.

As I have said before converting to electrickery the main problem is enlarging the tank bay  to fit  a battery up against the motor mount , otherwise the cg is too far aft. My Christen Eagle had a wide cowl so managed to fit a battery transversely , the cg was spot on without ballast.

As Richard has observed a couple of times, putting the battery in vertically is a good way to get the weight as far forward as possible. If there isn't sufficient height to fit the battery in vertically then in several of my e-conversions of models deigned for IC engines, I've fitted an inclined battery tray, extending through the firewall, which makes best use of the weight as far forward as possible, as on the Kyosho Spitfire.

IMG_3307.JPG

• Like 1