Problem Updating Toolkitrc Lipo Charger M6DAC Firmware

I suspect something has gone awry with the main board of my lipo charger, but worth floating this issue in case anyone might know of a solution.

I have several Toolkitrc chargers, one of which is an M6DAC which can be ac or dc powered. Firmware updates are undertaken via on board USB-C socket to a pc port using a fairly standard usb cable. Whilst this worked when first bought in 2022 (so now out of warranty) it updated without any problem. However, when I tried to do so recently, the pc gives a current surge error message. Same thing trying with a different pc. Interestingly, when I plug it into a usb hub which has an independent power supply, the power light on the hub goes out, even when the hub isn’t connected to the pc. Have also tried several different cables.

No solutions shown on YouTube or through Googling so I guess there’s a hardware problem associated with the on board usb port. 

It is charging and discharging properly but I just can’t update the software. No issues updating my other chargers. Anyone else had a similar issue and any suggested solutions ? 

Many thanks.

Advert

Start by checking this bit Andy

Firmware upgrade
After connecting the M6DAC to the computer
with the USB cable in the box,
the computer will recognize a
USB disk named Toolkit,
download the upgrade file
app.upg on the official website Copy and Paste the new
file to overwrite the previous files in the USB disk, and
the firmware can be upgraded.

The error message shuts down the usb port on the pc which means the device isn’t recognised and doesn’t show in File Explorer. My understanding is firmware updates usually rectify glitches rather adding new features which why I thought it worth trying to update. 

Firmware updates typically contain one or more of....... extra/amended functionality, defect fixes, security updates.

Unless you need any if these, "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it" would be my view. That's the same view taken by all major financial institutions, so if it's good enough for them.......

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

"if it 'aint broke, don't fix it" would be my view ………..

Same here, but it was worth asking……. BTW was using the original cable plus tried several others.  I think the usb socket (or associated internal gubbins) is faulty 

Thanks all.

>>However, when I tried to do so recently, the pc gives a current surge error message.

>>when I plug it into a usb hub which has an independent power supply, the power light on the hub goes out 

These two symptoms both suggest its simply taking too much current, usb usually limits at an amp or two, do you have a USB current indicator?

(if not get a couple, they're very handy!)

image.png.ada871a723ab52ce638916fe9a6822f4.png

'why' could be excessive inrush to smoothing caps,  or the charger is 'on', or its got itself in a weird state...

Presumably you havent got the charger powered up when plugging into your PC's usb?

I would first check the excessive usb current isnt a fault  :-)