Windy weather,my first plane??

I am still thinking about it and reading your guys comments and advice,I did just watch a vid on YouTube of a guy flying the eachine spitfire warbird in 12 to 15mph winds and it handled it like a champ,it was uk also,very impressive,but yeah I am thinking about it all as it was. 

Advert

1 hour ago, Outrunner said:

Why would a 2 stroke engine make the model more suitable for windy weather flying than say a 4 stroke or an electric motor given the same power output?

It wouldn't and I wasn't deliberately excluding 4-stroke.  It is more about power to weight ratio and price.

In my experience heavier aircraft deal with wind and gusts better but that needs a more powerful power train to maintain the power to weight ratio.

So if I take a traditional built 40 size trainer with 60" wingspan, what would the equivalent electric power train be, it certainly wouldn't be the ubiquitous 3S 2200, more like a 5S system - which is much more expensive.

Many foamies I have seen tend to target the 3S 2200 market which means smaller lighter models which are more likely to get buffeted by the wind.

All I am saying that for the same budget, same power to weight, IC gets you a bigger plane.

My current all weather flyer is a 1233mm foamy Glastar that weighs about 1200 grams rtf. I run it on 4s but it will fly on 3s 2200mah battery. Apart from when landing in gusty condition it fly's perfectly. When in the sky the model knows nothing about the wind but if it is windy you have to be careful when landing as it can be very turbulent when the wind is blowing across the top of hedge that flanks two sides of our flying field.

I admit that model does have 3 axis rate gyro but I only switch on when landing in gusty conditions. I happily fly this model without the gyro but it does make landing in turbulent conditions less fraught.

I also fly my little Veron Mini Robot in windy conditions, this model is very small and light with no gyro and quite happily flies in windy conditions.

You don't need a big heavy model to fly in wind, they just hit the ground harder.

• Like 1

My Wot4 flies fine on a 4AH 4S LiPo.  At least it did before I crashed it a week or 3 ago - I hope my repaired version will,too 🙂

1768765341_Wot4repair13.thumb.jpg.ef3c6f9cc097f831dd61bbf2aca8145c.jpg

I hope my Fokker DVIII will, too with a Turnigy G46 670 rpm/v motor and a 13x6.5" prop

911949656_DVIIIFuselage1.thumb.jpg.29a35bbe07b0478f234d573ed883ee00.jpg

• Like 1

Tonight I managed to fly my Helis for a hour the wind forecast said 1 hour low to no wind between 8 and 9 and true to there word it was perfect,so before that time I walked to my local golf course as fast as my legs would go lol,I flew one like it was a plane and thought about the whole plane situation,I'm still tempted but gona think about it,on calmish days Helis are brilliant,but finding those days is few and far between.