Teaching Young Folk To Fly

payneib

Evening All,

I am a reasonably competent flyer (B Cert in the bag for the last couple of years, and aiming for my examiner cert this year), and I've been trying to teach my eldest. He's 10, 11 in a couple of months, and I'm struggling. 

We started off using my Junior 60 as it was all we had that was suitable, and he got as far as a few aggressive take offs, and some general flying around. 

Last year we bought him a second hand, thoroughly expendable, Bixler with the aim of me taking my hands off the buddy-box more and really letting him do his thing. We also have an Acrowot Fomie, in a similar condition - second hand, thoroughly expendable, for use as soon as the Bixler is killed to death.

Some days, I am stood there like a spare tyre, holding the buddy-box whilst he fly's round, with the occasional piece of advice, and potentially flicking switch and taking over if he says he's lost orientation.

Other days, he starts the session by saying, "I can't do it, I can't see it properly, I don't know what to do." There's usually lots of mumbling, some tears, and he gives up. On these days, I feel like I need to get my hands on his controller, put my thumbs over his and show him what to do - but I can't do that whilst I'm on the lead controller and actively flying. 

Does anyone have any advice for coaching youngsters? I'm desperately trying to stay away from being the overbearing parent that makes him do something he's not interested in, but I'm running out of ideas beyond, "I know you can do this!"

We have trainee aircraft in the club, but I don't think we have any actual instructors. 

Advert

If you are a BMFA member and flying in a BMFA Club, you can always ask for assistance from the nearest Area Chief Instructor.  These days, they all seem to be Area Chief Examiners as well. They are supposed to help out clubs like yours.  You just need to ask your Club Sec to get in touch with the Area Achievement Scheme Coordinator.  If your Area has a website, you can usually contact the ASC directly.

One thing i would recommend are some decent sunglasses to aid the eyes if vision is one of his concerns. There are days when the glare makes it impossible but normal sunglasses just make the model an indistinct black blob. I used some polarised jobbies with only a mild tint, sadly cant recall where they came from, but they can make a world of difference. 

Beyond that its difficult to say. I have taught plenty of kids that age, never had an issue like that. But, none of them were my kids (i have none) so maybe that had in impact? 

From my own experience learning to fly i remember a time about the same age when i felt like all was lost and i was never going to learn and a really awful takeoff leading to a crash really knocked my confidence. I dont remember exactly how i got over it, which isnt helpful i know, but i do remember that i ended up with a few models which were mine only, dad never flew them unless he was helping me. If you already operate that way that is probably not helpful, but if not maybe ask him what model at the field he likes, and pick something that is a suitable stepping stone in that direction. Let him build it, understand how it all works etc. Maybe it will help? If you already do all this then fair enough, but its all that comes to mind immediately. 

At times like those I think it's more a question of you controlling the model but making him think that he is, that will build his confidence. Plus fly the model closer in so that it is clearly visible. I had similar with my grandson who seemed to lose interest as soon as we had dome a couple of level circuits so I threw in some loops and that got his interest back! Unfortunately he hasn't continued with his flying which is a great shame as he was rather quite good at it!

1 hour ago, payneib said:

I am a reasonably competent flyer (B Cert in the bag for the last couple of years, and aiming for my examiner cert this year), and I've been trying to teach my eldest. He's 10, 11 in a couple of months, and I'm struggling. 

I have been teaching kids to fly for the last 50+years.  They all learn at different rates, and they all develop different levels of skill. 

Without meeting the child, it will be impossible to suggest a course of action to boost his confidence. 

However, making the learning process fun - plus lots of praise - usually helps with making progress. 

Which area are you in? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

First off, check his eyes. Might be a bit of correction needed. Until you know his complaint, that he can’t correct, and then apply corrections is false, accept it’s a fact. Children ( I was one) can go a long time with sub optimal vision, and learn coping mechanisms. 
50 years later, with perfect corrected vision, I still look for stuff by colour, not the article I’m looking for.

Edited by Don Fry
  • Like 1

The old driving instructor saying is never teach members of your close family and sons in particular.

If a formal instructor tells him he has to do something in a particular way he will believe it. When you say the same thing it runs the risk of being treated as just "Dad's opinion".

• Like 5