Discussions around the Nijhuis model designs

Hello Tony,

Great article on building from plans! Having first got into the hobby as a lad many years ago, before the advent of ARTF, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of building from kits and seeing my "creation" actually fly! After a break of a few decades, I returned to the hobby (as a result of the interest of my son) and was disappointed to see that the choice of kits is now much diminished, largely I suppose because of the availability and popularity of ARTF models. Shame really - half the pleasure's lost in my opinion by going the ARTF route.

Anyway, your SKY 40 article and free plan in July/Aug editions of RCME appeared just at the time I was looking for a trainer to build to fly with my son (who built and flies a Laser Models Colibri). I am currently part way through the build of the SKY 40. May I say how impressed I am with the thought and attention to detail that you have put into the plan and accompanying instructions - it's been a huge help and has made it a pleasure to build. The accuracy of the kit of CNC cut parts is also impressive.

I have one question - The front fuselage former F11 is pre-drilled with four holes for the steerable noseleg support bracket (a one-piece, black component shown in photo 12). I have been unable to locate a steerable noseleg with such a bracket and wondered if you can remember where you got it from? I can get a noseleg of a different design with a different support bracket that could be used, but it means having to replace the wedge-shaped spacer that I've already fitted with a new, bigger one and drill four new holes to suit. Just thought I'd ask before going this route.

If the SKY 40 build is successful and I am able to re-learn old flying skills, I fancy having a go at "Bootlace" by Peter Miller that appeared as a plan in the Jan 04 edition of RCME. That would be my first true build from a plan, as I don't beleive a kit of parts is available for purchase in this case. The advice and techniques described in your article will surely be put fully to use then!

Keep up the good work!

Brian

Brian,

Please to hear the Sky-40 build is going well. It was design with people like you Brian in mind. I also wanted to buck the trend and say quality design and kit manufacturing in the country has not been lost to the far east.

The prototype nose leg block I used from an Irvine steerable nose wheel assembly I bought from a local model shop. Having said that, SLEC Ltd up in Watton near Norwich, do have all the necessary components availiable including this block.

If your not aware, the Sky-40 is now a full Kit availiable from SLEC and selective model shops

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony,
ive just posted some pictures in my album of a spitfire.this is a blown up version to 48 inch from your 400 size plan.these are cheap to build (only approx 8 pounds complete)and fly very scale like on a cheap 22 turn buggy motor,a.u.w is just 21b 10oz.the wings are 3/8 sheet ,the canopy i made myself.This plane shows just how good your plans are,i am also going to do the same with the corsair.
hope you like it.

vince

Vince, Glad it scaled up ok. Normally the 50"span mark is the absolute limit for 3/8" sheet wings and sheet wings generally. I built some 15 years ago a 52" spit using 1/2" balsa for the wings. It flew well but would 'airbrake' if the nose was raised too high in flight.
Good luck with the Corsair
Tony

I have recently completed my build of Tony's 31,5" corsair (rcm&e sept 2006). Using a Welgard A 22-12-13 up front this is an absolute blast to fly! It's quick and easy to handle, so Tony: Thanks for a great design.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/image.asp?sp=&v=5&uabn=126&uin=288

One question though - how do you attach the cowl? I have used double sided tape pads which work OK, but have a tendency to loosen on landing. I was thinking screws, but I can't imagine small screws in balsa will hold up when the cowl is the first that impacts on landings.

Any tips?

Henning (Oslo, Norway)

Hi there Im a new member & thought you as a professional designer might be interested ih a little but useful design feature of my own (or should I say have never seen.) The forward wing retaining dowel on my designs is the subject .Having done the odd heavy arrival ? & caused damage to the wing/fuselage join especially the wing leading edge I decided to use thinner than usual dowel rod (ie 4-5 or so dia.& only the depth of the LE spar) A hole is then drlled axially and a bicycle spoke pushed through far enough to make an entry into main spar or servo box or whatever can be got to ! In practice a heavy wing tip type of "arrival" does little more than bend the soft spoke and dislodge it from its position .things can then be straightened out etc and off you go again .Incidently I havn't had any sheared nylon bolts (yet) Of course there is always a first time for every thing isn't there-every time This system has worked on my 64 inch scratch build aerobatic semi scale m/c.which being mostly of geodetic structure comes out at 5lb 2oz It might not work so well on these modern heavy weight stick together with epoxy things now widely available to folks missing out on experimenting with there own designs Yes! I was brought up by your predessor DB boddo.Hope you understand my explanation It would be easier to send a photo or two but, along with this confuser (& I've mentioned else where) my Optic tx without proper trims !its tough going on my brain cell!Keep up the good work Am going to scale up your Vampire x 2 & put an Irvine 53 in Built up wing of course.Hope I havn,t bored you Keep up the good work. I envy what you do & get payed for "The" ultimate profession Eh.?

Hi Henning,
Glad you are enjoying the model. I found that retaining the cowl by screwing 2mm self tapping screws into 4 obeichi blocks glued to the fire wall was the only way to effectively secure the cowl.

Myron, Thanks for the information, always looking for new ideas......I shoudn't envy what I get paid, it works out to about £1 an hour...that why I work full-time in London as a Consulting Engineer, but hey i find designing models helps with stress relief.

Hi

I am starting to build the Zero that Tony Nijhuis had published in rcm&e of sept 2006.

I stay at a altitude of almost a mile above sea level .I'm wondering if I should increase the size of the wing and stabilizer to compensate for the less dense air .

I have previously built a 34 inch wingspan P40 from a free plan in the mag and its almost impossible to hand launch .

Allan,

Smaller models will alway be a pig to hand launch but if you have enough power up front you shouldn't have a problem. Wind speed is more likely to have an effect on launching the model, or rather lack of it so avoid calm days. With thinner air the flying speed will be increased but the flat sheet wing is very stall resilient so slowing up shouldn't cause too much a problem. I would suggest build as per the plan, build light and have plently of power in reserve.

As stated earlier I've already built the 31,5" corsair. In the Sept 06 issue of RCM&E, when it was presented together with the above mentioned Zero, Tony writes: 'This is the fourth in my dogfight double series..'. What are the six earlier models, when were these presented, and is there any chance of getting hold of any plans? I'd love to build a small Spit or P-51.

Henning

Tony

Returning to modelling after a lapse of around 40 years, I came across your SKY 40 plans, and invested in the associated parts kits.

The model is now flying and I have joined both the BMFA and the Luton @ District Model Aeronautics Club.

I have only flown freeflight and control line before (yonks ago !) but am looking forward to flying RC.

Club members have admired the SKY40 - which has the decal "Designed by Tony Nijuis" on the forward starboard fuselage.

Just thought you would like to know that your efforts are appreciated !

Hi Tony,

I found your advice regarding canopy moulds earlier in this thread very enlightening. I acquired a CMPro Thunderbolt 120 recently that seems to be missing a radial engine moulding for the cowl; it looks wrong seeing so much of the engine through the front of the cowl. Anyway, whilst canopies are one thing, I suspect making a mould for a radial engine is quite something else. Is there a simple(ish) way of making a reasonable job of constructing a dummy radial without all the prep needed to make such a difficult mould?

Barry

PS: Built the 46" Spit. It flies a dream, so graceful in those rolls. Mine weighs a bit though, glad I built that washout in. Going to build a dolly for it, its tricky hand launching, given its weight.

Slightly off topic, but I just noticed some one selling the plans for Tony's 'Dog fight double' on e-bay - not sure if this is legal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plans-for-Zero-Corsair-Dogfight-Double-Tony-Nijhuis_W0QQitemZ250095847122QQcategoryZ34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Tony, some advice please ?

What aerfoil section did you use for the SKY 40, (ps; one of the reasons I chose to build from your plan was the obvious camber)

Do you draw your plans using CAD - if so which software ?

If you do use CAD, what do you use to plot the final plans ?

There aren't that many variations on what will fly & what won't any more Here's a challenge ! send me a rough idea of what you want .I' ll draw it up & send a plan to you You Must tell me what you specifically want otherwise it will be like something that has been done before (AGAIN) I need to know engine -type -aerobatic -trainer -portability R/C -gear & BUDGET etc in fact to produce for you exactly what you want .I have time on my hands at this moment & want to help promote our hobby 'cos it's all I care about!No I dont use CAD .I am an RR draughtsman/Service technician (or was) .

I think i've had enough of virtual aero modelling Am continuing to do what I do best Designing 'building & getting a hell of a lot of fun out of it If all you ARTF people want a life__ start creating ! It's an English disease dont you know .It really makes me feel sad when I read in the magazines that it doesn't perfectly fit & they have to maybe enlarge a hole for example Wow ! what a problem ! Our hobby is creative (or was) and probably one of the motivations (ie flying ) that got man to the moon in a matter of about ?????Years
Any comments from real modellers &/OR grumpy old ex engineers &/OR inventors .I put a drop of Castrol "R" in my fuel .Anyone do that out there or no0 ?

Hi Guys,

Barry, there really is not an easy way to make a dummy radial engine but I do know that Ripmax do a VAC formed dummy radial for the Topflite Corsair. Give Ripmax a call and then get your model shop to order it...even better have a word with SMC..they might have one in stock!

John, the Sky-40 wing section was based on the Multiplex Magister which had a touch of reflex (flap). I was so impressed with the Magister Trainer, the model was slow stable, but also nimble. So I traced the section and imported it into Compufoil and tweeked it slightly. Compufoil will reproduce a full set of wing ribs and a wing plan ready to be imported into Autocad (package I use). Fortunately I have access to AO roll inkjet HP 800 so I can print out a plan 800mm wide by 50m!!!

Cheers, Tony

Hi ....

Tony i missed your article on the small SE5. Part of your Dogfight doubles I think ..

Can you give me some hints as to what angles you rigged the wings at ... I.e. were both wings at the same angle of attack or did you rig one at a slightly higher angle ???

I'm building a 30 inch span Supermarine Walrus, sheet wings. Brushless 400 powered.