Discussions around the Nijhuis model designs

Advert

Rob, Panel lines are done with 1.5mm wide snake tape, availiable from MFA como drills (model flight accessories) down in Sandwich, Kent. Give them a call and order it over the phone. I think they do a number of colours but not black any more.

Apply the tape on to the covered but un-painted surface to follow the panel ines. Then using primer paint, paint over the tape, then finally apply the war paint to the whole model. I sometimes use 1000grade wet n dry (wet) to flatten the paint which slightly enhances the tape lines.

Tony

Phil,

I'm not a great  fan of foam but the extruded polystyrene is one I have tried and quite like it...it sand well too.

There are a number of way to cover polystyrene....

Obechi veneer or sheet balsa glued on with Copydex glue

Brown paper and watered down PVA

Or paint the structure in household emulsion and that protects it against foam eating glues and paints

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tony,  I purchased a Sunderland Plan Feature CNC Pack from your good self at Cosford in July, I am now eager to make a start , I like to use white glue ,do you think this is OK for the hull or should I use an epoxy adhesive to cope with the stresses of landings. Can you please advise, Many thanks. Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all  I've just joined this site and have purchased the total  Lancaster package from Tony and I can't wait to start. Already I've found this site to be a great place for info on the Lanc as well as other electric aircraft.   Cheers!

Kevin

Hi Tony,

I am in the process of building a Hurricane from your plans from RCM&E.  A quick question, the plan shown in your build photos does not show the main upper 6 mm spar crossing the wing root assembly, it just covers W4 to W3.  The free plan that came with RCM&E shows this spar going from w4 left to w4 right.  As I have only just discovered your build photos I have a wing root assembly with the spar going from W4 left to W4 right.  The retracts and the wheels should fit without interefering as far as I can see, or have I missed something?  Is there a reason for the difference in the Plans?  Also Could you tell me the type and make of the retracts shown in your build photos, I can't match them with anything in my 4 year old Ripmax catalogue.

I built your Sky 40 earlier this year and I must congratulate you on it, what a' luvly' bit of kit, I am still on a buudy lead but hopefully that will change soon. What a dream to fly! thanks.

Ted.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony or anyone.

I have got the plans for the Lancaster from your site re RCM&E as I had wanted to build the Manchester.  Can you tell me if the rearward detail behind the double circular radiator scoops (beneath the engines) and in front of the undercarrage doors is as per Lancaster ?  If not, what was it like?  I can't find any detail on any plans or old photos in my books or on the Internet.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Keith

i am gonna design a spitfire for my MDS 38 i have lying around, i hope you don't mind me using your model spits as a reference for weight and wing span, just wondering, did you put in any wash in or wash out on them? i will need to make sure the wings are really strong because i want to put some retracts in, cause i suck at hand launches

p.s, i got a supermarine spitfire haynes manual for xmas

Hi Rusper. That photo is useful as I can see the profile of the lower radiator rear profile with it's rear radiator flap.   Is that your model? and would love to see a rear shot looking towards the front, but Is the undercarriage in the way..?.

May do it as a Lancaster Detail of the radiator flap.  (I want to build a 1/12th RC model)

I believe all the Manchesters were scrapped that survived the bombing raids early in the war as the RAF Squadrons converted to Lancasters.  (Don't know if any were converted)

I have a book, The Avro Lancaster, Manchester and Lincoln by Richard A Franks and it has rear views looking towards the front but has undercarriage doors blocking the detail and inside a good side drawing view of the engine cowling with radiator and air scoops. 

Will contact the IWM again.   They told me earlier that the Prop dia was 16 Feet. (Manchester) .. and the length of the Lancaster from Tip of Dome to rear of the rear gunners canopy was 69 ft 4 inches..  I replied that I can't see the guns protruding 2 inches ??..   as the o/a length is 69 ft 6 inches.

Happy New Year for 2009.