Discussions around the Nijhuis model designs

• 2 months later...
Hi Tony. Built the Sky 40 (electric version) and so as I am a learner got my club mates to try it out. All VERY impressed,also congrats on your thoughtfull design work in angleing the nosewheel forward. From experience this is a weak point on many trainers. Could you help though.. If I built a second one, will it take a 4 stroke ic motor and what size can I use.
Yours Norman.

Hello Tony Nijhuis
How do i order the Spitfire pack in this months RCM&E. I phoned 01689 899200, and all i got was to visit there website www.myhobbystore.com, but can't find your spitfire. I am after the complete pack SETRC2041 at £89.00 plus P&P.
Thanks
Kevin.

Myron/Tony

what about a collaboration on one of these?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/alicabrio/RB17.jpg

Or, if this is a bit too retro for you;

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/alicabrio/miller1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/alicabrio/miller2.jpg

These are both based on B17 airframes (with a little KC35 chucked in for the second).

Siiigh - if only they provided "Canard-ise"
or "sweep back" buttons in CAD programmes...

Who's for a tandem-gull-wing corsair?

or a twin-zero a la F82 twin mustang?

AlistairT :o)

You've got me thinking about the Rutan B 17 How different can you get Hmmm ! I like your attitude .Something really different !
Have you flown it & confirmed your angles of attack (thinking of the fore wing ).On my" sim " canards seem to be very stable .Quite suprising considering the powerful effect of the horizontal fore plane over the mainplane .Maybe I'm wrong (again)? I'm wondering why full size aircraft aren't built that way bearing in mind of course what purpose they're intended for.Don't think there's ever been a canard before "fly by wire" was perfected with basically unstable A/C but with ducted airflow etc over the flying surfaces provided by HP air from the HP compressor of the power plant .Maybe we should start having these sorts of things on models .That would be a challenge ?

Myron

I've been trying to fly a "Candice" for some time now. This is a cox-powered Canard drawn up by that master modeller Gray (apologies Graham et al, Gray writes for another magazine), and based on a rubber-powered design from that uber-master of all modellers (sadly no longer with us) Ray Malmstrom.

I'm secretly a bit distressed that we don't get more off-the-wall models from magazines and manufacturers. That amazing flying boat contraption that appeared in RCM&E some years ago was definitely in the right asylum, as was the graupner funky chicken.

Myron - I would recommend you buy a copy of Ray's plans handbook, and feast your eyes/grey matter on the designs/doodles contained within. I promise that your frame of modelling reference will shift.

AlistairT

Hello Tony Nijhius, Sorry to be a pest but I can find no answer to my query but appear to have about 8 email notifications. My query was (apart from congrats on design of Sky 40) if I built another one can I fit a 4 stroke in it? And if so what would suggest?
Thanks again
Norman

Hi Myron, In answer top your query "what is a Sky 40" its a trainer designed by Tony Nujhius and was recently reviewed and a plan inserted with RCM&E magazine. Its a corker with AXI motor up front which was the version i built. It was so well received by fliers at my club who put it through the mill that i decided to build another but this time IC powered, hence my comments on possible 4 stroke.
yours Norman

Norman,

The Sky 40 will take any 40 size crank case four stroke, which would include the 52 size of OS, ASP, SC etc... I would suggest the engine is mounted either side on or inverted in order to get the correct tank to engine level (ie 2/3rds tank height in line with needle valve)

PS- Tyhoon Up-date.....the plan is now drawn, retracts and oleo legs made by unitracts, cowl, canopy and spinner sourced...CNC parts to be cut V.soon.

Regards Tony

Until bit "A" doesn't fit bit "B" LOL then I guess the CNCing needs tweeking if its easy then I would do the same as you thats not lazy that's conservation of energy. Sounds fun, I for one would be fascinated to see the process you go through to develop a design, I am still in a cave and take original sections from manufacturers drawings (If I can get them) and then monkey about with scanners and scaling. Painful and laborious task.......

• 4 months later...
Hi Tony used to be a scale model boat builder, but finaly i have seen the light thanks to a work coleage how  is teaching me to fly .First purches a bommarang, then plans were the next thing (dauntless) i get so much enjoyment from building .I used to cut plans for boat formers and spray mount on to the wood then cut round , will this be ok on fusalarge formers? thanks    Mick    shit spell c not working