Discussions around the Nijhuis model designs

Thanks Jonathan, comments like that make my long dark evenings(and early mornings!) balsa crunching all the more worth it.

Building models reqiures experience and time. When I first started building models I was rubbish, but the next model and then the next got better and better. My 10 year old son some 2-years ago did'nt know one end of a fuselage from the other..now he's nipping at my heals!
Do keep trying..it will be worth it

Tony

Yep, as Tony says, every model will progressively get better. Patience is the key, and LOTS of it!!
I used to build great, but finish poor. Now ive found artists acrylic paint and have never looked back. Lessons learned are easily remembered for the next build.
Good luck,
Barry

Thats one great thing about this hobby,We are always learning and striving to be the best we can be.
Thats what makes this hobby addictive and the bonus is the rush of flying.
An added bonus is having talent with the likes of tony nijhuis ,who puts himself out to help anyone with problems and gives us plans to build these machines.Long may you reign Mr.T

WONDERFUL HOBBY EH?

Thanks Vince, as long as there are people like youself who really enjoy the plans I produce then I'll keep them comming.

One of the great things about this hobby is I never stop wanting another model to design or build. Every one of my designs is a consequence of yours truly wanting to do it. If I'm not interested in the subject, I find it impossible to design. This only happend once with the S6B float plane I did for Model World last September. Although a pretty model, it was a pig to design and I soon lost interest during the build.

Sharing the plan with the wider public is a real bonus especially when proud builders send me pictures of their finished model...gives me a real buzz knowing they have achieved a small ambition of theirs

never give up.....
Tony

I get the feeling this is going to be an interesting future in building. Tony - is there any possibility of you doing a short article for the complete beginner to building in regards to equipment needed both the common stuff and the more useful items? Also a how to aid for cutting wood - inserting hinges etc as Ive had a go at it and find simple things like cutting at right angles to the wood difficult (just lack of experience probably).
Anyway although Im a complete novice to this I enjoy reading the articles about your wonderful plans like the latest Lancaster (one day hopefully:) )
Do you know if anyone has ever produced a flying model of the Junkers G38? I know Revell produced a 144th scale plastic model but when I saw pictures of it the other day I was amazed that the wings were large enough for 3 people to sit in the root of them. As there were only ever 2 built I thought it might make an interesting model for the more experienced modeler (and me one day).

Antony

Yeah Allan, couldn't agree more. Hate the covering stage myself. Can't stand solarfilming, always seem to cock-up somewhere. Thought painting would make life easier but I've just sanded the first Humbrol coat back on my spit only to find, for some unknown reason, that after re-coating, the paint has gone and wrinkled up, putting me two steps back..aaaarrrggghh!!
Completely peeeeeed me off!! So yes, an article on finishings would be great.

Point noted about covering...I hate it too because it can go wrong just when your on the finishing leg. The Wellington I recently did which was nylon and dope covered, the final coat 'crazed' all over the place. I had to leave the paint harden for a week then wet n dry the old paintwork off back to the primer...not impressed

I've used car sprays for some time now and it usually works fine.Just one little tip though..Never use different brands of paint
together,I accidently did it once and I produced one of the best crackle finishes
I have ever seen.Incidently I only ever use
Holts Duplicolor.I also normally buy the Panel Size cans.

Hi there, I,m new to this web lark and don't know how else to contact you. I'm looking for a set of plans for the "Mew Gull" not the Corus Gull. I was pointed in the direction of RCM&E and wondered if you could help me out. Having flown r/c helicopters for 10 years, I took up fixed wing 2 and a half years ago.Up to now I have scratch built and flown a Heinkel 110 40 size. Am near completion of a Great Lakes (RCV 91 powered) and am hopeful of obtaining plans for the "Mew" about 72" span, hopfully powered by an RCV91SP. I remain,Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi Tony,
can i ask you a question different from the lanc and spitfire.
i have bought your Wellington plan from Traplets and want to up the size for 600 motors with a gearbox.Im not to sure about the size,but would the size of your DC3 be about right for the Wellington using the same power train?

thanks in advance(i know your very busy)

vince

Hi Guys

Shaun, I did do a 48" Mosquito for 2x10 IC or electric about 2years ago in RCM&E.....Did you miss it!

Vince, I get the plastic from Stephen Webster plastic (01727-863138)and use clear Styrolux (1mm). It comes in 4'x2' sheets and is about £4 per sheet. Styrolux's clarity is not as good as PETG (fizzy drink bottles)but it is very easily formed and cheap, so you can make a few mistakes!

Tony

Thanks very much Tony,
much appreciated.

I'm going to do the Wellington at the 80" span,which is why i need to form my own canopy's.
As you know im going to use 600 size motors with a 2.5:1 gearbox,what would be better to use....a 600 22 turn motor or a standard 600 motor.I know the 22 turn would draw more amps and give more power,do you think this is overkill?

cheers for now

vince