How windy is too windy?

Andrew Clarke 3

The real problem is the location. Slope soarers can fly in high winds as they are usually on a hillside with clean air flowing over it, so as long as the model has an air speed higher than the wind's ground speed its okay. However for those who fly from a flat field with power, the wind generates all sorts of turbulance from trees, hedges and even the club shed. So when you fly, the rolling turbulance can smash your plane into the ground, irrespective of your ability or your planes power. Plus if the wind is too strong once you land your model it can be blown away as my Fantom was, breaking off the fins as it was blown end over end down the field after a safe landing!

Posted by Paul Atherley on 13/11/2009 20:35:40:
The real problem is the location. Slope soarers can fly in high winds as they are usually on a hillside with clean air flowing over it, so as long as the model has an air speed higher than the wind's ground speed its okay. However for those who fly from a flat field with power, the wind generates all sorts of turbulance from trees, hedges and even the club shed. So when you fly, the rolling turbulance can smash your plane into the ground, irrespective of your ability or your planes power. Plus if the wind is too strong once you land your model it can be blown away as my Fantom was, breaking off the fins as it was blown end over end down the field after a safe landing!

Mmmm wonder why they call one of the slopes at The Bwlch "The Wrecker"...............

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 13/11/2009 22:50:44

Posted by Phil Wood - Moderator on 13/11/2009 23:15:14:
Nah....slopes are nice things...they always bring your model back safely.
Polyphilla.

Excellent, helpful, that............I'll ignore the signs and send my pupils bills to you then....................

Mostly, feel it's all been said now, hence the ribaldry/etc.........but for my 5p's worth, while I'm quite happy flying slope in anything less than around 40mph (with the right model), I would not fly my local club field with power versions of the same plane (FW Buzz, Buzz Lightning, Slipstream, etc) much above a mere half that, as the sudden stabs of turbulence are far too violent for safety.

Flying the Tango there the other day, starting at about 10mph, a plane that copes with wind far better than it's appearance might suggest, but the wind eventually rose over the 25mph level and the upwind erratic shaped tree line started causing extreme instability in the airflow, so time to land............

I usually try to use my windsurfing windmeter, BTW....as subjective estimation is VERY imprecise.

• 2 months later...
Slim, fast planes often handle better in the higher windspeeds. The day I mentioned earlier had the Turbine Jet jocks fairly happy when a lot of the more "mundane" models stayed firmly in shelter.

Really as has been mentioned it is the Pilot and model combination which dictates flyability. On open sites the wind tends to be steadier, less turbulant.

I flew off the Beach at Ainsdale with the Southport lads, in a good breeze, which some of the lads thought a bit strong. Like flying on rails compared to what I was used to.