How windy is too windy?

Andrew Clarke 3

Well I've flown my easystar in winds of about 20mph (i think) when the club chairman wouldn't fly his menace of an aero-bat! I often think its too windy but turns out not to be! The advantage of my site is its on a hill, so I get lift whizzing off the top when its blowing westerly. Good for me but not for everyone else!

hello andrew-at our field/club site-10/15mph is about max-after that you can fly your model-but all's your doing will be over controlling it to make it fly how you want----then again i have friend's who are over the moon with 50mph wind's for the slope's

ken anderson..............that'll put the wind up them...............

I use the website xcweather for the up to date wind speeds just before i go out.......i reckon once its above 13-15mph constant its not really fun for normal fixed wing flying anymore....as for foamys once its above 7mph you're in dodgy ground......then of cors there's wind chill.....5 mins at -1 the other week felt like a lifetime. Moral of the story don't forget your gloves!

This definatly a question for Timbo.

Flying from the Great Orme, where the wind is hardly ever a Zepher, often it is a gale.

I have been there as a child when my concern, would I stay on my feet, can I breath, as the wind so strong.

Yet people fly in these conditions.

Yes, this a Timbo question.

Its as much to do with the pilots ability and sense of daring as the model's actual ability to handle the wind - some folk just wont venture a try if its arial bending stuff - and I think this is often because they simply werent MADE to fly in the winds when they were being taught - much like many pilots I know who can only fly left hand circuits, and some are totally incapable of flying anywhere other than their own home patch.

Well the Orme is notorious of course as one of the premier caostal soaring sites in the UK and it is quite normal to see a doubling of the sea level airspeed when you are on the ridge of this fantastic slope. We fly all sorts of things of all sorts of sizes, in all sorts of winds!
Tuesday this week we were all scratching around for lift, but the 46" foamy wildthings flew in light winfs which many people found hard to beleive - average windspeed that day was around 8mph ON THE TOP. It was a struggle though, and lighter stuff faired better. My 15 oz slipstream wing managed to fly almost all the time, but by late afternoon, the wind had swung northerley and dropped off to probably...5MPH or so, and the combination of direction and lower speed meant the lift was poor. However some lads had the right toys for the days, and the MPX easyglider amongst others flew very very well in these light conditions - even managing to thermal a bit despite the cold temperatures.
Today a few of us managed a few flights in what was probabaly around 35MPH - I maidened the Jart... but decided 1/2 lb of ballast slugs was the best idea - worked well, I had three great flights, and, more importantly 3 nice landings too
Ultymate was flying his lovely new Wasabi also - un ballasted - and it was sweeeeet.
Unfortunately the rain swept in from Anglesey, and felt like 12 bore shot pellets on yer face...so we had a coffee or two, and quit whilst still ahead. Man that Jart rocks
Some pictures on the forum in another thread,  later.....

i remember when i learned to fly with the Chester club,i soloed after a couple of weeks,mainly thanks to my flight sim.I often found myself alone on a sunday because of conditions,mainly because all the other lucky blighters are off in the week so only flew in ideal conditions.
I just wonder sometimes when its windy if i had a heavier more powerful plane it would handle the conditions better,most of my planes are ic but the ones i can fly at short notice hence get flown the most are all quite lightly loaded leccy ones,maybe this is a good reason for a new plane

• 8 months later...
when the wind is over 20mph rather then distroy your expensive best models why not do what i do fly my slipstream with hot motor this will fly easily in 40+ mph winds other people who have witnessed me flying in extreme winds have bought either slipstreams or powered zaggis. i fly my slope zaggi in 50mph winds. i used to fly a phase 3 f16 in 20 to 30 mph winds these really cut through the wind. remember zaggis ect can be bounced back to earth without any damage and flying in high winds can be great fun especially watching all the other club members wait for the wind to die down

The only time its too windy is when you can only fly backwards!
Seriusly? I will fly my flying wings v-trainer (slow trainer foamy) in 20 mph winds, or up to 25 mph but that isn't really very fun - full throttle and going no where. You gain hight when you can, and dive for the gusts.

I flew in a ground speed of about 20knts (ish) only too find it must have been approaching nearly 35 / 37 knots or so, and unfortunately just enough to carry my 1.5m Ultrafly Tutor just out of range and i got to watch it initiate it's own spin, hit the ground, the hear the crunch. My Lesson, if it's a nice Sunday afternoon and no-one has flown that day or even no-one there... there's probably a reason!

10 mph is about the lightest winds to be expected at the Hexham Field. Usually it's on the nose, but we do learn about the rudder pretty quickly.

I can remember when starting out, trying to avoid windy days, not easy in Northumberland. I think that the real answer to the question is that as we become more experienced, we are able to discern what would be enjoyable and what would be unwise. I was actually refering to flying in wind but I suppose it might apply to anything!

You will learn very quickly to judge the answer for yourself Andrew. Maybe like me, you will even come to prefer flying with a bit of a blow. Various pitfalls and features of flying in windy conditions have been mentioned here. Whilst this is all valid advice, it will be meaningless until you've flown in such conditions.

The one piece of advice that is important to realise early on, is that if you run out of power, it's best to be upwind!