How windy is too windy?

Andrew Clarke 3

Its not the amount of wind that’s important, its the turbulence the wind creates as it goes over / around objects in its path. At my local field if the wind is right to left along the strip, I will fly in quite windy conditions as there is a large open area to the right. If however the wind is left to right, the wind tumbles over the trees to the left and the air is very turbulent making flying / landing very difficult.

It also depends on your flying experience, I learn't to fly from a slope where you need the wind to keep the model up, and the more wind the more fun. So I find it strange when I am down the powered field when people say its too windy to fly, and I am still putting up my models. A couple of people I fly with have started putting up models in windy conditions and realise just how much fun you can have.

Its the JS Smoothies that do it Myron!

Talking of which you must have a had good night last night Mr Polysuppafew What's all this guff about Richard Brandson's balloon in the jet stream and electric foamies?

Lets suppose you did this eh? Well result...assuming said Capt of Industry's balloon is travelling at the same speed as the wind....foamy falls out of sky! The jet stream's doing umpteen mph, the balloon is doing the same, Polyfloatalong is also doing the same as a passenger in the balloon. Problem is, now so is the foamy. So, the foamy's ground speed is umpteen mph, but its airspeed is a big fat zero!

Drag then kicks in the model slows, there is difference now and opps! more drag...and its a downward spiral - probably literally - and your foamy will soon dissapear at minus umpteen mph just like an empty crisp packet thrown overboard...and we'll have Polyflyaway

Then we'll see how friendly the wind is! "The wind's my friend" indeed - I never did! You are spending too much time at altitude up on the Rock, its affecting you, you'll be posting pictures of flowers and hugging trees next

BEB (Polynotatreehugger - and on no more than a nodding relationship with the wind!)

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 12/11/2009 14:07:58

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 12/11/2009 14:12:08

Not quite so BEB.  Whereas I wouldn't start any discussion about serious aeronautical or aerodynamic sciences etc, as I am not qualified one little bit, I can assure you that we regularly "turn our foamys around into wind" - at up to 60MPH indeed - and watch them disappear IN FRONT of us. It takes some getting used to, and the right model of course, but I think you had better cadge a lift of mr polydrunkard ( when he's sober ) and get yerself up this big rock here and we proper fliers can show you how its done. 
You big girl

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 12/11/2009 14:12:52

Back to serious flying matters - this wind and balloon problem.

I've been thinking about this and strange as it seems - very strange - I think Polysmartypants is right! You need to really shut out any consideration of the ground - and yes the plane should fly round outside the balloon despite the umpteen mph wind - some of the time it would actually be going backwards relative to the ground true - but not relative to the air. Interesting! I guess this how DSS works?

BEB

I have often heard the argument about a model flying through a mass of air travelling at speed and that the only way the model reacts differently is caused by the viewpoint of the pilot, i.e. in relation to the ground, and it does not make sense. If you are flying a 2Kg model in a 5 meters per second (m/s) head wind with a model doing 10 m/s, the model is actually flying relative to the ground at 5 m/s. As such it has the kinetic energy of  1/2 x mass x speed squared = 25 Joules. If you now turn the model downwind, the model needs to fly at 10 + 5 =15 m/s, so the Kinetic energy required is 225 Joules. Hence why when you turn a model from flying upwind to downwind in windy conditions the model dives until it trades its Potential energy (height) to Kinetic Energy.

Edited By Paul Adams on 12/11/2009 19:52:21

Quote from Wikipedia

"The kinetic energy of a single object is completely frame-dependent (relative). For example, a bullet racing by a non-moving observer has kinetic energy in the reference frame of this observer, but the same bullet has zero kinetic energy in the reference frame which moves with the bullet."

Surely what is important is kinetic energy with respect to the moving air mass. The only time kinetic energy with respect to the ground is important is when you hit it.