BMFA Insurance

A Collins

Good question, I don't know the answer, but I suspect  it's whose model it is?

If it's your's and you have given permission to someone else to fly it, isn't like cars, where as long as you have insurance on your own car, you can drive someone elses. (third party cover) with their permission?

I believe that for the first three visits it would be the clubs BMFA insurance, after that you need BMFA insurance.

Its part of the promoting model flying drive where clubs can accommodate interested visitors for a limited period.

I base this idea on the way my club looks after random visitors. A BMFA bod could elucidate.

Andy

as a safety officer at our club i and my friend's allway's point out to any new member that should their model go awol and crash while someone else is assisting them to learn the required skill's to fly their model aircraft-there will be no blame attatched to the helper/instructor--- it's one thing flying your own creation-you know what has gone on in the construction stage ect-but flying someone's who is a complete stranger can be daunting-as if you don't know them-and they are new starter's/ novice's it pay's to double check there model over-and make sure that the batt's are fully charged...........we had one newbie who thought his bmfa ins covered his model for repair's etc in the event of a crash...............

as someone who has had to claim off the bmfa insurance---take care......

ken anderson...............

p.s.--do you really want to claim off your insurance if your flying someone else's plane???Hard to decide/yes-no..........

"we had one newbie who thought his bmfa ins covered his model for repair's etc in the event of a crash..............."

lol...we would all be pranging models just to get a new one...sounds good to me.

Any iders what the bmfa say about the buddie box and intsurance cant find any thing in the guide lines .

Ian

hello all--i would be interested to hear how other club's approach the subject of a new member(stranger) joining a club-wanting to learn to fly etc--over the year's i think i've met a fair old cross section of the wannabee model pilot's of different abilitie's--most who would listen to experience'd member's---and a minority who join our club-don't/won't listen and after giving their nerve's and wallet a thump-dissappear never to be seen again............there must be load's of old kit lying around redundant............

ken anderson....................

ps--methink's we have the making of a new thread in this posting--what do you think

so in princable its the instuctor as(if hes any good)he should have taken back  control from the pupil to try and avoid desarster.
The bfma responce is still not to clear in as both are flying the model...even if one is a copilot .

Thanks for taking time to try and sort this out as i know its always a question that arises when a new instutor starts to teach .

May be it just comes under the affiliated clubs own cover which then solves a bit of the problem, as andy mentioned already about a first timer having a taster flight.

Ian(still puzzeled but happier)

Well I never imagined such a response to what I thought was a fairly simple question. 

The point I was trying to make is that the BMFA are charging for two lots of insurance when in practical terms only one policy is actually needed. i.e. that of the Instructor who is the Pilot in charge.

At the same time as my original post I sent an email to the BMFA but so far they have not responded.

Fifty one years ago I had an accident that wasn't my fault.

I was flying a new C/L combat model on a windy day. While starting a pair of pliers was dropped. After the model was in the air a junior club member started to got to get the pliers but was told not to.

While everyone was watching the model he went into the circle to pick them up. The combat model hit him. He was lucky, the engine passed behind his head but the prop slashed his ear very badly.

I had to walk him all the way home through the town. Someone that I asked to take us to his home refused because of all the blood.

His ear was stitched up at hospital and healed almost perfectly.

His parents didn't sue but I was very glad that I had the insurance. These days your feet wouldn't touch the ground before you were in court.

That happened on my 20th Birthday, I was in shock for a week.

I would never fly without insurance

Just had this reply from the BMFA...

It is always advised that pilots under training are paid up BMFA members in order that they benefit from the full coverage offered by the policy. 

Whilst you are correct that in legal terms the pilot in charge (with the master transmitter) is responsible for the safety of the flight, however there is a possibility that following an accident there could be some level of blame apportioned to the student, in the unlikely event of this happening it would be unfortunate indeed if the student had no protection in place against civil liabilities. 

Also if you are flying at a BMFA affiliated club the terms of affiliation stipulate that all club members must also be BMFA members.

It answers the question for me.