Flair Cub

Antony Wright

• 4 weeks later...
Dont know ,but, I could'nt let this go without an unequivicol shout of praise for this model.My best mate bought me a kit for my 60th,...years ago.I fitted a servo in each wing,slightly reduced the wing incidence,and changed the engine installation.The resulty was the smoothest flying model in the fleet.Armed with an Enya 41 4stroke up front I've used it for aero towing 6ft gliders,and,clubmates reckon that this cub can do ion the air what no other Cub can,particularly in the hands of those more expert than me.Whatever it's modelled on it's ok by me.

Antony, there are many versions of the Super Cub, one of the first planes I ever flew in was a super Cub L18C G-BBYB rebuilt by my father back in the 70's the L variation (derived from Millitary versions I believe) has the greenhouse type cockpit much less claustrophobic.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Antony, just had a look in your gallery, looks like you are suffering from warped bulkheads and fus sides. Wouldn't be light ply would it?? It may have its place, but I am starting to get a bad feeling about light ply and will avoid it in the future, certainly for bulkheads and fuselage doublers.
let us know how you get on?
cheers
Danny

Just read your latest notes on the other thread, I heard Flair are trying to re-invent themselves and get back to the prestigous brand name they once were, they are dropping some models I know, perhaps this is a first step in the right direction. I always liked the Flair Scout series models, I guess they are full of light ply now also......oh well I guess thats progress.......

I too am fumbling a bit on computer -I have just completed Flair Cub to teach .er indoors how to fly this spring Funnily enough I modified ply joins & added various doublers on fuselage Am not totally happy with wing dowel positions The band angles are different from the norm arent they ?Too acute fore & aft Does any experienced flyer of this model recomend I use the normal dowel plus wing bolt set up that I could build in without too much hassle? Or would it not be forgiving enough for her unexpected arrivals ?Have never made with rubberband/aileron set up before so would really appreciate any comments

I have brutally hacked my Flair Cub up front.After completely removing all of the wooden cowling, I was able to fit an SC30 4Stroke in the inverted configuration.The "dinky" little silencer of the SC30 can be angled downwards at an almost scale position. I have replaced the cowl with a substantial, sturdy vacform cowling from Vortex Vacforms just e-mail Steve Davies with your request from within the site, and he will mail the cowl to you at a very reasonable price.
http://www.vortex-vacforms.co.uk/
The only complaint I have about my Cub is that if there is some wind she just doesn't want to land! A real floater!! She is happy to "pootle" about all day on 1/3 throttle, a really relaxing change from norm, and the speight of ballistic models currently avaliable

Keith,

The RCM&E plan for a 6o sized Spit is # RC1513, and was published in the April 1986 issue. The plans show balsa sheeted foam wings. I didn't like that so I designed a built up wing and installed my own designed retracts. In the UK Mick Reeves offers 1/6 and 1/4 scale plans, but I found the 1/6 fuselage plan to be badly drawn and have not built it. However he does have a fiberglass fuse if one is inclined that way. Also in the UK Brian Taylor has excellent plans, I haven't seen them but I understand that they are first class. Dave Platt in Florida offers a 1/5 scale Spit, or did, he may be out of parts by now. I expect the plans are still available and are excellent. Phone (407)724-2144. Dennis Bryant had a Spit 22 for a 60, not sure about availability, but Dennis was living in Burgess Hill last time I saw him. Hope all this helps,
Jim Kemble

Whoa Myron!! SCFS52AR!! your Cub will be SO overpowered! I've just checked on the box front that my Cub came in, and the reccomended engine capacities are 15 to 25 two stroke. I fly mine with an SC30 four stroke, and it will almost prop hang at full power.
I also think it will be extremely nose heavy, maybe requiring some added ballast at the tail end. The Cub is a very lightweight designed aircraft, for it's relatively large wingspan and size,therefore it flies as it does and is so easy to fly, I think by adding such a "big" engine comparitively, and probably tail ballast, may cause a big change in it's flying speed and characteristics, but only surmising. The Flair Cub is such an amazing, aircraft and many thousands have been built, flown and customised over the years I may be wrong. Hope you dash down my predictions, I am waiting eagerly to find out your results.

P.S. My wing dowels are in the design positions, and I have not had any problems at all. I use 4 rubber bands to hold the wing on, 2 applied diagonally and 2 lengthways on either side.

Dear Bill Thanks for comments I have put servos below trailing edge & it balances nicely with rx battery midships .However I bought the 52 for a "Ruperts Dad" I have nearly finished & thought maybe it wouldnt be too much for the Piper if I was very carefull on the throttle .I do have a APCO 15 2-stroke I have in a Trixie (remember it?) Do you reckon its worth changing the set up or will I then be underpowered bearing in mind its for her indoors to learn on (shes pretty good on the simulator by the way.) I would really appreciate your further comments so as not to try the first 3D Cub ever to have a very short life span.By the way I havnt flown for several years (ex-Fleet man) with Webra 40 powered Bullet.& am still trying to get my head round programming Optic 6 gear aswell so the fewer unknowns the better eh ??

first 3d cub? now that sounds fun but somehow I dont think the plane will take to much of it :)
As for the size of engines well Ive had a look on my box lid and it gives 3 recomendations as follows:
15 - 40 2st: sport
25 - 40 4st: sport
25 - 35 2 st: trainer
So I guess your 52 is just a tad on the overpowered side. Once mine is built I shall stick in my 40 which I have at present in an Arising Star. I think (from my very limited experince) that the 15 you mentioned will make it a very gentle plane for a trainer. The 52 will end up causing a greater risk of having to replace the plane rather quickly.

Just been in touch with local modeller who fitted a 61 into his Flair cub If you dont believe me i'll give out his address with his permission of course.& he's accumulated 2000 hours or more of flying experience complete with photo s to prove it .Why should I worry about a 52 4 st any more I think I can keep the throttle under 1/2 to fly with a nice big prop (low pitch) .It will sound lovely & probably suit the local windy weather and being 4oz heavier than the norm means it'l lland where I want to (& so will 'er indoors)& thats what it's been built for !
I've always believed that plenty of power comes in handy in emergencies Not lack of it !

• 2 years later...