Awesome weather - how much flying are you getting in?

Posted by flytilbroke on 21/06/2010 20:57:21:
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 17/06/2010 08:16:39:
Bandit - you're having an eventful year

Flytil - are the midges gone by mid-late Sept? Please say yes as I'm planning to walk the West Highland Way then!

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 17/06/2010 08:56:22

Hi David, Might not be completely gone, especially in sheltered areas. Avon SSS is the least obnoxious protection. I hope you get decent weather. What direction are you planning?

Thanks Flytil, might get me some of that.
South to North

Advert

Had 4 great flights this morning on my way to work. zero wind on the strip and clear blue sky. 2 flights on my WOT4 Mk3, should have been more, but my second lipo (4S 30C 4000mah) had a cell fail and so lost power on rotation - no damage, just annoyance

2 further great and long flights with my overlander cherub glider, i get 30+ mins from a 2S 1800mah lipo - what a fantastic e-glider for £40!!

Sadly only spent an hour or so, before locking up and going to work. Did notice loads of Stonehenge hippy types malingering around (site is less than 2 miles from Stonehenge); hopefully they have not decided to disregard all warnings and locked gates and camp on the strip!!!

trying to finish my Galaxy Magician (electric of course) and 90mm EDF MB-339 to get them airborne in the next few months.

I guess it would pay to keep a few spare horns and a variety of self tappers in the tool box, along with all the other stuff! I swear one person in my club lugs half his stocks up to the field, and he is the one that flies the least!

Forecast from now till the weekend looks nice!

Feeling a bit sad as I have stripped my only nitro plane to re-cover it (It's an ARTF, what more can I say!) and that has got to be the best bang for buck plane I have had! (It was free!) Maybe I can 'borrow' dads acrowot XD

Got my eye on the ARTF phoenix model Cessna 182 (incidently exactly the same company the other ARTF is from!) for my birthday, which will fit the engine. No one seems to have one though, can't find any reviews what so ever :s

I turned over to page one of RCM&E and there it was I knew I had to have it! 

greeting one and all.....asher's ...timbo included......today is the day...we have 22c+...and we are taking our grandaughter to the 'paddling pool' and also today will be the first time she will have seen some real 'duck's'......and all at the grand age of 10 month's........have fun all................

quack , quack ..........ken anderson and emma.......ne...1..

Mornin' Ken....have a great day
I have been flying for around 6 hours or more right up to 9PM for the last couple of days at the big rock. Day off today, and then all afternoon and evening tomorrow and Thursday at the Orme /club field - before leaving for the RCME fly-in on Friday until Sunday afternoon.

Eric

I almost sympathise.

As a semi hay-fever sufferer, I can only go outside to the field at the moment for a short time.

It should be tomorrow, but i probably will not have the time. Any sympathy for me, as I look out with what feels like a cold.

Erfolg

I went flying on Friday.

I found my flying wing, now turns remorselessly to the left.

My sports plane, ran out of power after about 4 mins. Charging the Lipo today had one of the cells, receiving 4.7v, whilst the other two were at 4.0v. Careful (really a glance) seem to show a small split in one of the edges of a pouch, with a little white powder around it. It is now outside.

Yet for all the trials and tribulations, a good afternoon, hope the weather holds for the next 12 months.

Hi All,

Erflog, sounds like it's time to ditch the lipo.

Had a good session giving the Easy Cub it's maiden yesterday evening (cracking weather), although the BRC 200 watt out-runner seems a bit OTT. It lifts off in about 10 feet, but once trimmed out and throttled back to about a quarter it'll pootle about quite nicely seemingly for ever on a 2200 lipo. Might try a bit more down thrust to tame it a bit under full power, next time out.

Also tried a couple of Intellect 1600 7 cell Nimh packs from Galaxy, in my old Topic 400 with the standard 6v S400. I wish I'd have taken a camping chair though, it seemed like it would never come down almost hovering into wind.

My mate ( who picked me up ) however struggled with his Cessna 182 until his two year old Grandson tried to wheel it back by picking it up by the elevators and ripped both of them out .

All in all a good session .

Chris.

BB

The moment I saw the 4.7v, I decided to stop charging, as something was not right. After 2 seconds of thought, it was decided it was scrap. I then took it outside for safety.

It would be unfair to suggest that the Lipo was poor as i do not remember how old it is, how many times it has been charged. It has also been in at least one crash, when the speed controller lead came out of my RX.

On Saturday night I have ordered a new one.

Today it was great at the field. I saw a flock of Lapwings fly over, a number of Buzzards thermalling. The bonus was the planes all came home in one piece.

Life can be good. Roll on "Global Warming". Although the latest data suggests that more claims of global warming are faulty. What ever, I like the summers reminiscent of my youth

Hi Erflog,

I had a lipo flame in the fire proof safe that I keep them in, fortunately I only had a couple of lipo's in the safe at the time. It did make a bit of a mess though.

It's nice when you get a good session in without breaking anything, but I'm afraid I will be spending some time looking for a replacement car. Hopefully I'll find something decent soon so I can get out to fly more often. It seems like torture with the weather we are having and not being able to get out when I want to.

Checked over the Cub this morning and found I have a bent motor shaft , replaced the prop and tried to straiten the shaft, but still not happy with it. Will be looking on the web for a replacement shaft or a new motor tonight.

Cheers Chris.

A great weekend. Finally passed my SAA Bronze yesterday with my Wot Trainer (many thanks to Foxxy for all the hours of flying he's given up to instruct me), and spent tonight out flying the Mini Fizz in next to zero winds - Perfect!