Awesome weather - how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

well it was a bit windy down south today, but my old instructer said if you dont know how to fly in the wind, you will not do a lot of flying. two of us took five models, two ic and three electric. the flying was interesting to say the least, my friends parkmaster foamy was dancing on the breeze pulling some very weird moves. his limbo dancer sat facing the wind on tick over was holding its tail up as the wind tried to push it backwards, a dab of throotle and it went up like a lift. i had brought my trusty old pz trojan and corsair and a vmar dornier pioneer, i flew the trojan first because i'm really at home with it and it will cope with a lot of wind, my favourite trick is to take it way way up till i can just make out what its doing a few people have said it must be about 400ft up then i close the throtle and glide around for three or four minutes before doing loops rolls and spins on the way down. next up was the corsair which doesnt seem to handle the wind so well, but it was good fun anyway. the dornier was next  this looks to be a big old lump of a model but has an os70 fs up front so its quite spritely when its up, it refuses to slow down when coming in to land even in a big wind so tomorrw i am going to try the flaps out and see if it makes a difference. we had a cracking afternoon and the only mishaps were a broken prop on the corsair and the motor knocked off the parkmaster  regards phil

Well I managed to make the most of today's breezy conditions by going slope soaring for an hour or so in the morning,  then as the wind dropped later in the afternoon went power flying with the heli and f/wing model. 

I think that's probably the first time I've flown slope, power and heli all in the same day.

An excellent weekend at Machrihanish. It started a bit wet on Saturday, clearing by 11am with the wind slowly dropping, allowing us to fly till after 9pm. Sunday started out really nice and got even better as the day went on, flying till after 9pm again. Glad to be home for a rest

The weather in this part of the world has not been ideal.

Wednesday being a little breezy.

Today was different, the air temperature not unpleasant, the sky promising.

After lunch, it was off to the field, the sky had that leaden grey of early winter, although supplemented by low level cloud, billowing with wisps of white and grey, stretched out and swirled as a ripple ice cream.

Climbing over the style into the field, revealed that the recent very wet and warm weather had caused the grass to spring into growth. Now 75 to 100mm long, only a week before it was short as a lawn, with great brown patches.

A trip to Yorkshire seemed to show that the high reservoirs were pretty much full. Yet United Utilities still have a hose pipe ban, could there wish to have us all on meters be related?

I launched my wing into air, the wind was that mythical dead calm, with very occasional breezes as the thermals ebbed and flowed. Soon 20 minutes had passed, the Lipo with lots of life still. Hardly a bird stirred, a few Wood Pigeons had flew through and could be heard in the copse about 1km distant. Crows were busy strutting there stuff in the next field, in between the herd of cows.

A casual look around, startled me into recognising a serious threat. All the surrounding fields had herds of cows. Landing short or out, would lead to the inevitable circular dance or stomp, reserved for errant models, which have dared to invade their space. Nevertheless I was so high was it a real risk or threat. 

After flying my second model, where it seemed that locking into a thermal was enevitable, no skill being required, the sun finally broke through. Almost boring, to easy, yet this is modelling at its best

It was time for home, why am I the only person who flies in the afternoon.

Erfolg

Yep,  summer is fading away, so it seems.

Nipped out to the field again for a 10 minute flight.

I do not know how you feel, but a first flight is traumatic, even just a few minutes, however well it goes. I just have to come down, go away, and consider what did or did not happen.

Whilst at the field, going back to my car. I reflected on how the road had changed from my youth. The lane was a "B" road, not much used, perhaps a car every 10 minutes or so. Now, no longer a classified road. cars race along every 10seconds or so.  I do wonder who wins?

Yet climb over the style, and the hustle and bustle of the racetrack are far, far away. Whilst flying I was pondering, is some one shooting at my model, or is there some type of automatic bird scarer in operation. Whenever I approached a particular field, sounds like a shot gun where heard, bang, bang!

At least the air temperature is still pleasant, although the sky is a uniform grey.

Hopefully tomorrow will be nicer, and other modellers will be there.

Erfolg

Glorious this morning, got to the airfield at about 0620, no wind and perfect blue sky. Richard Christopher had beaten me to it though, god knows what time he got there to practice his F3A routine. Anyway, got a few more flights and lots of touch and go's on the YAK 54 and now getting used to it, particularly now the CoG has been moved forward and after almost pouring epoxy into the undercarriage mount area; the Overlander 50E 58" YAK 54 is a really great plane, less the undercarriage. Its still underpowered on a 4S lipo and 14x7 prop on  4260-600 motor - I need a bigger prop (15x8) and a 5S lipo to get prop limitless vertical power. Both ordered today from HK; hope they arrive before the summer finishes!!

Back home in time for breakfast, just as my wife was getting up, and prior to the airfield getting swamped with other fliers. 

I wanted to take something different just lately 3 models seem to stay in the car.I started in the week with my Seagull Texan but coulnt get the retracts to work.Then I worked on the GWS Texan,but coulnt get the motor to run correctly.Then I charged up aBH 300 Extra,but this morning couldnt find the wing undertray.So  instead I left to faithfull in the car and took little Meadow Skipper.Went to the field early so I could drive upto the strip to unload before anyone else arrived to save my knees.As I got out of the car realised I hadnt loaded my Transmitter.A round trip and lots of people there so onlt took 2 models over to the strip.The Harmon Rocket flew as well as ever.The Meadow Skipper performed well but my insructor  recommends I fly it at a fair speed because of its small wings.A good morning and back home in time for the GP.Searched around this evening  and found the Extra 300 undertray ready for Tuesday

yesterday up in god's country we were up in the hill's of northumberland...gliding in the nice warm weather.......we were joined a couple of times by 'RAF TORNADO'S and a HARRIER'.....which were flying below us.......a full report will be put on the HTP post..

ken anderson...ne 1...

Hi Chris,Im Basinstoke and with Aldershot Model Club,we fly 5 miles outside Basingstoke.I was unable to fly my Stringalong Thursday,the engine had developrd a massive fuel leak out of the carb.Ive tried to find a spare engine,but I cant find it since my son tidied the lounge!!!!!!!.Ive been cgarging everything yp this week so whatever I choose for Sunday is ready.

Being restricted to the UK this year for my holidays. I have had 7 days centre parcs Notts, for the active aspects of holidaying, what was missing was the religious aspects, normally a visit to a Great Cathedral, where a few beers and food can be enjoyed, under clear blue skies and the incessant heat of the sun beating down.

So wht could i do of similar spiritual nature? Yes a pilgrimage, to the Great Orme!

Now that the A55 is near motorway standard, this pilgrimage can be undertaken quite leisurely, that is until nearing Llandudno, where traffic grinds to a halt. This is not all bad news as the forest of Wind Turbines can be viewed at sea. It is quite relaxing watching the static blades. It seems that they could be most useful as an off coast advertising site. Each blade could carry an advertisement!

Any way it was apparently 20 years since I had last been to either the Great Orme or Llandudno, strangely little has changed. Oh other than park and display. In the centre the better half found a hostelry which had previously been a bakery, now converted, using half of Liverpool's historic buildings, floor boards from Levis jeans, Flagstones from the redeveloped centre, plus an old schooner.

It was essential to rest and regeneration by mental and physical health here, before the assent by the "Thrilling and spectacular" cable railway (so the adverts said).

Th e trip to the summit takes possibly 12 minutes. Be prepared for a long walk from one carriage to the next, at the mid station interchange.

The Orme itself provided magnificent views over the Irish Sea to the Isle of Man, Anglesey, and the mountains of North wales.

It is obvious why this site has mythical status, where many come to worship the Gods of the Wind. Perfect for slope soaring! Both the Egyptians and South and Central Americans worshipped the Sun. I am only aware of modern man of particularly sensitive nature, perfectly in tune with nature, whom worship the Wind, have there been others?

Strangely the wind turbines remained stubbornly static, as there was a good breeze at the top of the Orme.

The shape of the Orme has been forged by Nature into the perfect dome of sufficient size to permit it   being flown from any direction, or so it would seem. As far as I could see, no one was at worship whilst i was there.

After an enjoyable day, I reluctantly for sought the Orme and returned home.

Llandudno is very reluctant to release visitors, just as obstructive as when arriving. Although I forsook the joys of the promenade from Ross-on - Sea and travelled the A55 from the beginning, faster, well almost.

Yes, a pilgrimage to the Great Orme is worth embarking upon, even if the cure of flight is not enjoyed. I must issue a warning, giant Seagulls cloned at Sellafield, the size of Jumbo jets cruise the sky, searching to snatch ice creams  (yes I was robbed, a giant beak sything throgh my barely eaten ice) from the unwary (families should be prepared to lose one or two small children, if not carefully guarded).

Erfolg the penitent.