Smoking

Phil  Claridge

iam a smoker usually rollyour own but sometimes electric models. yesterday i was standing under the canopy outside london bridge station having a fag when i was told off and threatened with a fine. what i find ironic is that 30 to 40 taxi's and the same amount of buses go under this canopy every hour causing more pollution than i ever could. the smoking ban in essence i agree with but i just think the interpritation of it has gone way over the top. what do you lot think
ive got my tin hat and bulletproof vest on just incase

Advert

hello smokey phil--as an ex smoker(who smoked for 37 year's) what used to amaze me was the fact that smoker's contribute aprox ten million to the treasury every year through taxation!!!!
where is this money spent?----i used to use the rhetoric that if you took ill and were a smoker you should get priority treatment-due to the fact that you had put three/four times as much into the gov kitty-and if as they say you wouldn't live as long as a no-smoker-you should be given more pension ect-time you were still on your perch!

as we all know the modern world has gone mad/over the top--to quote one of my friend's wive's-"she was glad she was on her way out-not on her way in"-so phil cobbler's to them-find somewhere quiet and enjoy that fag my old son-remember the spirit of st george.........................

ken anderson(now smoke free-6year's)....

as a none smoker of only 14 mths after haveing an angioplast, dont you just get peed off with all these so called do gooders,  if you wanna smoke smoke, if you wanna drive big cars drive em hard,  do what you wanna do ,when you wanna do it , its your life

Yeh but just not around me please
I agree about letting people decide for themselves about how they live their lives, but today is so full of ignorant people who just seem to do whatever they want and have no regard for other people at all - just plain pig ignorant - not necessarily smokers of course, but hey the thread has to drift off topic sometime right
Of course if there are particular EXTRA reasons to stop smoking ( such as health eh Phil ) then surely people have a duty to not only themselves but to their loved ones also to try especially hard to kick the drugs. 
Timbo, soapbox star and ex smoker for some 25 years. 

I know the canopy you mean Phil, daft to be told off there you can park across the road and smell the taxi fumes.

Wish I could kick the habit, damn hard though.

Afraid I'm not very PC myself, I smoke, I have four 4x4s (or 4x4x4), burn avgas at any given opportunity and call myself British.

Oh well!

(watch it all go down hill Phil now the reformed smokers have arrived )

I'm afraid from point of view it is just one more thing which didn't use to be a problem to most people that is now somehow wrong, social engineering has never been a good form of engineering.

I stopped smoking 35 years ago. I do not have a problem with those that choose to smoke but I do draw the line in my car,house or office. I do not want 2nd hand smoke.
To ban smoking outdoors is just plain ridiculous.
The ban here applies to resturants but those with a bar have a problem so make the non smokers go outside.
In the end it's your choice.

Robin

Its not just smokers its the whole country has gone PC daft.  I remember having to stop a meeting when a gentleman who you could say should have know better said that "there was a ........ in the woodpile" and the poor old soul was set upon by do-gooders.  I was brought up in the 40's and 50's when these things were said and no one said them with the venom the kids these days do.  Mother in Laws in particular got a bad time but it WAS only a joke.  Have we lost the will to live in a world that tries its best to make us feel that the world of 1984 where roles need to be constantly monitered in case we become TOO BRITISH.  We are slowly losing our identity and becoming too involved with other countries problems. 

Tony Prince said
"I gave it up in 1983, and I still want a cigarette! The craving never goes away!"

Cant agree there Tony - I smoked 20+ a day for around 15 years, and after making the decision to stop - I never looked back once . After around 3 weeks, I had no craving whatsoever...and now the stink of cigarettes is 'orrible - cetainly never "tempts" me to want one. Ugh.
Just shows that there are no definates.

I made my girlfriend give up when I first met her, 8 years ago . I never forced her, but she felt an outcast in the house because we made her smoke on her own in the Kitchen.

Never got on with smoking, makes my eyes hurt somthing rotten, where I grew up in a little village in Lancashire called Elswick, only famous for its Bond's icecream you had two choices in life, smoking or motorbikes. I chose the more dangerous of the two and have plenty of broken bones and bits of metal to prove it!

Tom

I smoked for well over 30 years, gave up about 14 years ago. Glad that I did but as far as I am concerned, as long as it is legal to smoke good luck to all smokers. AS has been said, if everyone stopped smoking other taxes would have to rise.

With regard to political correctness. I found this wonderful definition on an aviation  website.

"Political Correctness:
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t**d by the clean end."

Apart from trying it as a teanager, I've never smoked. I totally detest the foul stench ceated by cigarette smoke and the mess created. It's nigh on impossible to walk down the high street without some inconsiderate smoker wanting the share a cloud of their smoke with you. I think it has got worse since smoking in shops and offices has been banned and further action is now needed to control where people can smoke outdoors! So back to the original question of smoking under a canopy, any form on enclosure must increase the risk of non-smokers getting contaminated so I have to side with the regulators who say you can't. However, I have to agree that it does seem a bit odd that the same space can legally be contaminated by vehicle exhaust fumes.  And my other hate about smoking is the litter. I little tap on the cigarette and the ash falls to the ground often out of a car window. When the cigarette is finished the end goes straight on the ground, and what about those foul drivers who take the opportunity to empty their car ash trays while they wait at the traffic lights! The packaging is bad as well - first there's the cellophane wrapper, then there's a little bit of foil over the top of the cigarettes and when they've all gone up in smoke the empty packet joins the rest on the ground.

Come on you smokers - try and defend your horribly anti-social habit!