Marking holes on engine mounts

Peter Miller

Advert

there is a tool for doing this called a great planes center, it basically a 2mm drill on a 15cm shaft it has an outer tube which centers itself in the engine mount hole and allows you to drill a small pilot hole so your proper drill bit dosent slip, you can even use it with the cowl on. also useful for marking servo holes in tight places

hello peter the great planes DEAD CENTER to give its proper name costs about £7 and would make a nice little present for a modeller. the long drill series is a good idea i have some of these 12in long they are wood bits with a short point to start them, i bought them at our local market £1each, never thought to use them for engine mouting though. ihave 2mm 3mm 5mm 6mm, they are handy for reaching deep into fusalages for drilling holes for control snakes

I can't believe it ! (Now who said that? )
I stick a sharp pencil in the engine mounting holes and move it in every direction ---You end up with a big black blob & then you stick a pointed something in the middle to enable you to find a centre for a drill bit (don't forget your safety goggles of course ) H&S rules for idiots  You don't need to buy any special tools !
( as the artmistress said to the gardener)  Sorry Ken !

of course you dont need special tools myron, a lada will get you from a to b but a roll's will get you there faster and more comfortably.pencils have to be sharpened if and when i can find one then wheres the scalpel?oops no blade put in new blade and then ruin it, use pencel sharpener you say had dozens cant find one, anyway i LIKE gadgets so there

I'm with Phil on this one.....I bought a Great Planes Dead Centre as soon as I saw one.....brilliant, brilliant, brilliant & why didn't I think of it before!!!!!!!

Used all the time for just about any hole.....engines, servos, motor mounts.....holes end up dead in the middle rather than off to one side...I can't praise it highly enough!!!!

Next to an inflatable Tony Nijhuis I can't think of a more useful thing to have in the workshop........!!!!