The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

Posted by ken anderson. on 13/10/2010 10:22:37:
cheers chris(big bandit)...........two year ago-went to see 'muse' at the newcastle arena......couldn't hear properly for two day's....very poor acoustic's in the place......

ken anderson   ne...1.

newcastle arena=ne...1.          

Back in "my day" there was no Newcastle Arena - it was all at the City Hall.  Amongst others I saw Eric Clapton play there.  That's got to be over 30 years ago...

Ken,

Yep Muse are loud, Played support to them years ago when they were getting started, Leicester University. Got to be early 1990's. Like Hendrix too, jammed Wind cries Mary with David Jacob and the lead player from Iggy Pops band Mid 90's, Leicester Square. It was a promo gig for Yamaha Drums, Still preferred Premier though.

Chris.

Posted by Richard Bond on 13/10/2010 10:26:27:
Now that's something I would pay to see, a cat playing a guitar!

Richard,  LOL, Once had a guitar player who was totally into a bloke called Rycuda (probably spelled it wrong) but I'm only a drummer. Sounded more like some kind of fish to me.

Like the Video though.

Chris.

Posted by Eric Powell on 13/10/2010 01:38:50:
Left school in 1970 and went to work at BSA Motorcycles,attended Sutton Coldfield college and grew up on a diet of Led Zepplin(saw them at the Belfrey in 1971),Black Sabbath,Deep Purple.the Who,Hawkwind, Uriah Heep

Hi Eric, 

Same sort of gig, Kennington Oval 1971, Deep Purple Hawkwind, Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Yes, Argent, Leo Sayer and a few more, finished off with Faces and the Who 9:00 morning till midnight. Awesome. Introduced me to Spamwiches, (sill a favorite) washed down with some weird southern beer.

Last saw the Who Wembley  Arena 2000, with Entwistle and Zack Starkey, Joe Strummer played support. Bob Pridden down loaded the gig from the desk, still got it somewhere. Still got a picy at the refectory of Leeds Uni standing on a wall by the Blue Plac of the gig and still have the unedited CD of the whole gig.

Only saw Zepplin once with Jon Bonham at Leicester University, Queens Building, again 1970s', but I only remember the first 5 bottles of Newcastle Brown

Chris.

It's Ry Cooder, he's a great guitarist.

I really like Neil Young, have done for 40 years.
Some of his best songs would not be allowed on here though.
Anyone who's sceptical about him and doesn't know the album 'Everybody knows this is nowhere' should give it a listen.

chris-interesting to find out recently that hendrix had 4 identical set's of marshall amp's in different places around the world...when he fell off his perch in sept 70...he left £50.000...in recent year's his estate have been making million's anually....sad about M.Mitchell last year..and N Redding a couple previous....

ken anderson...ne...1. 

Hi Ken,

Didn't realize Mitch Michell had gone, there can't be many of the decent 70's drummers and bass players, left now. It just shows I haven't kept up with whats going on.

Richard,

Pete used to worship him, cracking guitarist himself. I've never paid much notice to Niel Young, probably should listen to some of his work.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 14/10/2010 08:57:03

Just a stab in the dark so to speak ,but does anyone know of a Peter Rowles a welshman from I think its Pontypool (S.Wales) He's an aeromodeller/guitarist  with a passion for Mozart . The man is a genius .He has all the works of Mozart on record & people think he is a sort of reincarnation . I remember years ago (70's) I visited his flat to listen to him playing his Mozart on his Les Paul . OK I remember saying to him .If I put on one of your records -Can you play to it ?.Unbelievably he did just that all the way through . He has not become famous as far as I know but would dearly love to know what happened to him
Myron

Posted by Big Bandit on 14/10/2010 08:55:46:
Hi Ken,

Didn't realize Mitch Michell had gone, there can't be many of the decent 70's drummers and bass players, left now.
Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 14/10/2010 08:57:03

Does Ginger Baker count, the last time I saw him (not to speak to) he was putting petrol in his car (well, not him, the attendant, no self service there)

Why do guitarists leave a pair of drumsticks on top of the dashboard?

So they can park in disabled spaces!

Favourite drummers? Roger Taylor of Queen, John Bonham, and, top of the list, Jimmy Manby, the drummer with the first band I played in. Cracking guy.

Wot happened to Ginger Baker who played with Cream? last I saw of him he was running a farm and loving every minute of it,  another old aquaintance is Paicey from Deep Purple I know he does a lot of gigs in Italy around christmas time cause he hates the English winter.
He sometimes plays with a Bass player mate of mine who I got to know by way of model shipbuilding, he is Italian with a totally unpronouncable name so I just call him Bruno,

Posted by Terence Lynock on 14/10/2010 12:12:12:
Wot happened to Ginger Baker who played with Cream? last I saw of him he was running a farm and loving every minute of it,  another old aquaintance is Paicey from Deep Purple I know he does a lot of gigs in Italy around christmas time cause he hates the English winter.
He sometimes plays with a Bass player mate of mine who I got to know by way of model shipbuilding, he is Italian with a totally unpronouncable name so I just call him Bruno,

The farm was more of a thing to keep him occupied (and for parties) than a farm for producing anything, seem to remember horses being part of it.  (it was friends of mine who had a large farm nearby who knew him and told me who he was, and they had a huge horse farm, so may be remembering wrong)

He was quite well liked as a normal person,  certainly not mobbed whereever he went.

Thnk he had some problem with someone trying to rip him off.

I have been back here nearly nine years now, so it is quite a while back, but I assume he is still there, friends and family there have never mentioned otherwise.

I was way behind the times

Drum roll for Ginger Baker as he ties the knot in the Cape

March 06, 2010 Edition 1

Renowned former Cream drummer Ginger Baker, who now lives in the Western Cape, has married a Zimbabwean nurse 42 years his junior.

The 70-year-old blues legend tied the knot with pretty Kudzai Machokoto, 28, in a low-key civil ceremony in Paarl on February 25.

The couple, who live in Tulbagh, had been dating for two years before deciding to marry.

The wedding was the fourth for Baker, who lived in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands before moving to the Cape a few years ago.

Speaking about his marriage, the former heroin addict said he hoped to enjoy some time with his new bride.

"We had a very quiet wedding at the local Home Affairs office. It was casual, we dressed down and there were just a few witnesses," said Baker, who earned a reputation as a hell-raiser when he was still a member of Cream, one of rock's most ionic bands.

"It was just how we wanted it to be. Afterwards we went for a quiet lunch with some friends. Now we want to settle down and enjoy our lives together."

The veteran rocker battled years of drug addiction after finding fame with Cream band-mates Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce in the 1960s.

He is now clean and lives as a virtual recluse on a sprawling estate where he breeds polo ponies.

He recently successfully sued First National Bank after one of his employees, Lindiwe Noko, allegedly siphoned R460 000 from his account.

Noko, who is facing 27 charges of fraud and theft, claimed during her ongoing criminal trial in the Paarl Regional Court that she had been involved in a sexual relationship with Baker - a claim he has scoffed at.

Baker met Kudzai, a single mother, in 2007, soon after she moved to Cape Town from her native Zimbabwe - and for the past two years he has shared his home with her and her 12-year-old daughter Lisa.

Kudzai told of her own joy at becoming the fourth Mrs Baker.

"I'm so happy to be married. He is a wonderful man and very good to me," she said.

"The wedding was quiet and very sweet. My daughter was there to see it. It was a lovely occasion."

Baker's latest wedding follows two previous marriages to younger women.

The London-born drummer wed his first wife Liz Finch in 1959, when both were aged 20.

But the marriage collapsed in 1978 after Baker began an affair with an 18-year-old, named in his autobiography only as Sarah. He wed the teenager in 1983, but divorced after a year.

Five years later Baker, then aged 50 and living in California, met 26-year-old student Karen Loucks. He married her in 1990, and their relationship appeared strong for almost a decade before ending in 1999.

Baker returned to the stage in 2005 for a critically acclaimed Cream reunion, but later vowed to quit music for good.

He has since revealed he is suffering from financial difficulties after spending his royalties on his beloved polo ponies.

The star also suffers from degenerative arthritis and back problems aggravated by decades of drumming.

He said his new bride had cared for him as he fought to maintain his health.

"Kudzai looks after me like no other woman ever has. She is an angel and she cares for me. The age difference doesn't mean anything to us.

"We're happy to be together and now to be married. It gives us something to celebrate."

Kudzai admitted the huge age gap between the couple had raised some eyebrows, but said she was content to share her life with the rocker. - West Cape News

Just phoned Bruno and it looks like he will be accompanying Deep Purp this christmas again on Bass, they are doing some gigs in Italy over the winter as usual.
His name is Bruno Vagnarelli and he lives in a really beautiful little coastal village about 70 Km south of Rome, he has invited me over but I havnt managed to get there yet and doubt I will now..