The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

Weell, got a completion date on selling/buying houses today so as of a week tomorrow I will be back in Shropshire, I will have three weeks to get things sorted before I start three months of chemo so need to get started asap.
The next week will be loony tunes time but will be worth it I think,  anyways just to keep things on subject..........

Awaaa the lads!!.

Hi All,

Ginger Baker was a brilliant Drummer, A complete nutter off the kit, but all of his work was based on classic fills with an Afro influence, lots of color and ghost notes, the guy could play paradidles on the snare in 4/4, 16's or any other time signature, whilst playing half time on twin bass drums and changing over between snare and bass in a seamless fashion that few can achieve.

I can play twin bass paradidles quite relaxed while laying it down across the rack toms and snare or whatever. Or paradidles across the kit, second nature.Triplets, flams, no problem.

But laying down the same groove with your hands and feet in the same time signature and seamlessly changing over at different speeds, the only time your sure of your ground is the cross over point when it all synchronizes regardless which kit or part of kit your playing.

I remember my drum tutor at the drum academy in Leicester pulling two Yamaha kits together, whilst I was Struggling with the Moela technique (Broken sixteens, on bass drums, hats and snare) and doing the same thing as Baker, but he was in a class of his own fusion, rock, blues, no problem. He influenced me a lot. As did Gene Crupper, Buddy Rich in the early days. From then on it was Moon , Baker, Brufford, and later Phillips, Starkey. never rated Kenny Jones.

Kieth Moon started the loony drummer thing, but he also brought the drummer as the kid keeping time at the back, to a lead instrument, driving the band along with the bass forming a full on back line.

He was also a very melodic drummer filling in the spaces between Entwistle and Townshend. I think, although he didn't play classic grooves, he was brilliant drummer. A bit like a pair of knitting needles and a ball of wool, holding everything together,( Townsend's description) not mine.

Ginger Baker, Jon Bonham, and many others just joined in on the looning thing, including actor Oliver Read ( a mate of Moon).

They  all had individual styles, but achieved the same result in driving the band. This is something that is sadly lacking today with the advent of backing tracks and synths, Ba Humbug .

Eck,

Bet they had L and R printed on them .

How do you confuse a guitarist,
<
<
<
 Get em a gig........ LOL,        I Love em really.

Cheers,

Chris.

I ve been reading the thread and havin a little chuckle.

I admire anyone who is musical and myself would love to be able to play.
But I found the old hard rockers on a model aircraft web site humourous.

Amazing how time and old age mellows one, isnt it.
Good on you guys.

Edited By kiwi g on 15/10/2010 09:37:33

One of thew best voices outside of the Operatic scene, you just wouldnt believe the range that Sarah Brightman can cover, as good as Lesley Garratt in my opinion...........you wouldnt think that these two tracks were the same person.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 15/10/2010 11:39:55

Edited By Terence Lynock on 15/10/2010 12:00:05

Strange the way you just happen on people if you get about a bit as I was want to do in my younger days, my sister lived at Muswell Hill just around the corner from a flat rented by The Swinging Blue Jeans, we used to have a real laugh with them when they were in the pub on saturday night and I could get down from Birmingham at weekends.
I was to be found in the snooker hall for two or three hours most afternoons when I was working permanent nights at Lucas Electrical, Birmingham City players would drop in for a game or two after training and we took money off most of them on a regular basis.
When I was in the Raven in Wolverhampton one night who should walk in the door but Nobby Holder and the crew from Slade, about fifteen of use piled into the Taj Mahal restaurant for a curry then went bowling until 2 in the morning, those were the days when pop celebs had nothing to fear but the murder of John Lennon put an end to all that.

Heres the difference for service, when we moved in here a year ago we couldnt have Sky phone or broadband until BT had installed a BT line, that took three weeks then Sky came along and connected everything up and i9nstalled the dish which took another week.
We will move into the new place back in Shropshire on friday, on saturday Virgin come along and install TV, phone line and broadband so I will be up and running in 24 hours, thing is Virgin is over 5 quid cheaper and because Virgin system is optic fibre the broadband is a lot faster too.

Marc
By Gum!
 Reminds me of my "formative"days when several of us took over the famous"Trip to Jerusalem" 1132 AD pub in Nottingham just below the castle every Monday night for years . Then along came "Radio Nottingham" ,and we were all invited to go back to their studio (pre-breathalyser days) on opening night by a reporter, Still got the tape on a 7" reel somewhere .That was probably the start of my demise
You're making me feel as old as I am
Myron

Posted by Terence Lynock on 15/10/2010 13:59:01:
Heres the difference for service, when we moved in here a year ago we couldnt have Sky phone or broadband until BT had installed a BT line, that took three weeks then Sky came along and connected everything up and i9nstalled the dish which took another week.
We will move into the new place back in Shropshire on friday, on saturday Virgin come along and install TV, phone line and broadband so I will be up and running in 24 hours, thing is Virgin is over 5 quid cheaper and because Virgin system is optic fibre the broadband is a lot faster too.

Just be careful that after a few months the cost doesn't jump, because the price they gave you to make up your mind was an introductory price.

They are not as bad on the accounting side as they used to be, their technical side has always been OK

Sky "repeats" has become too expensive now, packages carefully tailored so that you have to take many to get what you want.

I have always (at this house) had Virgin/NTL broadband, and that has improved greatly over the last few years, but I dumped Sky TV 14 months ago, and have not been sorry.

Our BT line kept failing, caused by aluminium lines that were considered to be the answer in the seventies, and they are underground. We will be dumping the landline entirely soon, very rarely used, and I have a GSM device that you can plug an ordinary phone into in the house.  We make maybe half a dozen calls a month, so we don't need a land line phone. I also have two ip phone numbers, which are a fraction of the price to use for numbers in the UK, and very cheap for our families overseas.

When you start looking at alternatives, there is a lot to be saved.

TL,
I'll be honest, I've never really listened to Sarah B but the vids you posted have converted me - pretty exceptional voice!
Love a bit of opera and rock and indie and jazz etc etc. Rediscovered Miss Sarajevo by U2 with Pavarotti a few months back - now that's a combo!
Good luck with the treatment.

Posted by Marc Humphries on 15/10/2010 16:06:24:
Jimmy Page in his hey day - keep with it...

Marc - the other guitar player in that clip is now one of my club's committee members.  And he did, I believe, end up doing some sort of electrical engineering - don't think it was research as he said in the interview though.

Edited By John Privett on 16/10/2010 00:32:58

Yehhh, those graphics remind me of when we were converting an old milk depot into a printers bindery and  I caught a real fright off a single phase power distribution board, it was supposed to be dead cause someone had thrown the main  switches and then taped them up in the 'off' position but they got the wrong switch for this board and it was still live.
I opened up the cabinet and tried to pull these womping great ceramic fuse holders out to see what state they were in, they hadnt been out for years and wouldnt move so I stuck me trusty screwdriver into its innards to pry them out, there was one almighty flash and a bang and I was blinded.
It was just like a big welding flash and it took ages before I could see clearly and my ears were still ringing, they found my screwdriver minus 2'' of its tip about 20 yards away, the distribution board was still carrying 420V at 100A or thereabouts for the battery chargers for the fleet of milk floats.