The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

I have this distinct feeling that this house I have moved into has a mind of its own, its as though it doesnt want to be updated or redecorated because nothing seems to be going right or if it is it is only happening very slowly.
We said it looked like it hadnt been touched in 20 years or more, perhaps thats the reason why, it put up such a fight the previous owner just gave up and left it as it was in around 1975......

What a load of bovine waste!!

Watching BBC news (OK, it was still on channel after the F1) and comments on the governments idea that anyone on the dole for more than a year would have to do community work or lose benefits (good idea to my mind, and if I was in that situation, and it could happen to any of us, I would not object), one person who was out of work for more than a year complained that he could be out looking for work instead of doing community service.

So what's he been doing for more than a year? How is he suddenly going to miss out when repaying the community as a whole for the benefits received?

I think it is vital to keep jobseekers and other benefits, I am not against the system, I think it has worked well in overall, and is a vital part of society in this country, but I have seen people abuse it, and for it to remain for all our benefit just in case, the scamming need to stop.

Posted by Terence Lynock on 07/11/2010 17:44:25:
I have this distinct feeling that this house I have moved into has a mind of its own, its as though it doesnt want to be updated or redecorated because nothing seems to be going right or if it is it is only happening very slowly.
We said it looked like it hadnt been touched in 20 years or more, perhaps thats the reason why, it put up such a fight the previous owner just gave up and left it as it was in around 1975......

sounds haunted Terry

We brought a few half and threequarter full cans of different coloured emulsions with us that we bought for the last house but only used them for touching up areas that needed it, the one I decided to use on my new workroom was a nice blue.
I lined the walls with white faced lining paper first then painted it, problem was the white facing may as well have been Teflon cause the emulsion just would not stick to it, first pass of the brush was fine but dont try a second pass otherwise you lifted the piant off.
Because of this I ran out of the blue so went to get some more to finish the job, problem was it wasnt in stock so I decided on another colour close but not the same as the first, the first coat of the new one didnt cover the first blue but I do have enough for another two or three coats if need be.
This is how things have been going since we moved in, everything is a struggle to get completed the way we want it, I want the three bedrooms finished for the end of the month so we can get on with the lounge for christmas but I dont think I will tempt fate any more than that.

Two points Terry:

1. If you go to a proper decorator's merchant they have a computer which can match any colour you show them. I use Bromborough Paints of Battlefield Business Park Shrewsbury or the Dulux agent in Castlefields. Just take something with the old colour on it and Bob's your uncle.

2. I see you've moved to Shropshire, where I'm based. Do you intend to join a club? I'm with the Shropshire Model Flying Club. We fly at Forton Aerodrome near Montford Bridge. We have both grass and tarmac strips, a club hut and a caravan. The Telford Club are a nice crowd too.

Happy Landings

DD 

I am just about to finish off my new workroom but cant use it as it needs to be a storeroom for a while so that we can decorate the other two bedrooms, we had a leak in the roof nearly two weeks ago which we thought was fixed but as usual what we thought was fixed and finished with wasnt.
At half past three this morning the wife woke me to say she was being dripped on, investigation showed that the leak has been ongoing for some time and we only found its real location after stripping back layers of Anaglypta suitably waterproofed with coats of plastic emulsion, got the man back to look at it this afternoon.
It only leaks under certain circumstances, the wind has to be blowing from the south with heavy rain, this drives the water under the tiles and lead flashing and then finds its way down the side wall somehow.

Anyways, to answer Davids question, if I am fit enough after my impending three months of chemo I will join Long Mynd Soaring in the new year, the Mynd is only a few miles away and a nice drive down through Much Wenlock to Church Stretton........well, back to papering walls........

Edited By Terence Lynock on 08/11/2010 11:26:06

Posted by Phil Wood on 08/11/2010 19:27:24:
Thanks Tim.........I won't tell you the technical term for what I have because it's mostly found in post-menopausal women and I don't want any skits.

Oh errr.....it's often also found in very virile male hunks.  

Pol.

Remember Phil  pantie liners have wings so you'll be OK to fly